• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MK Ultra said:

I don't think the story has ever been reprinted?  I believe the plates or original artwork was done with an ink that doesn't allow that or something?  Perhaps someone more knowledgeable will clarify.

I believe this edition was just to generate cash, but it's cool none the less.

Darn,  so the story in your copy is different? Do you know what happens in the original? Is it his origin ?

4 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Darn,  so the story in your copy is different? Do you know what happens in the original? Is it his origin ?

Correct, story is not exact from what I know.  While I have both, raw, I've never read #2, wouldn't want to lose thousands if (when?) I damage it by reading it.

8 hours ago, Microchip said:

I think your points are barely on the mark here.  There's nothing of on-going character value happening at the moment.  The 'grail book' status is driving things off the charts at the moment.  I just saw the result for the FF #49 CGC 9.8 at $115,00 today.   It leaves the 9.0-9.4 light years apart.   And you it comes across the board now in the modern books, where 9.9-10.0's going for +$10,000 prices, when the readily available 9.8's are still $500 or less.

Albedo is still leading the charge though, the recent Clink results were just mind boggling.   There's another #2 CGC 9.6 coming up on Heritage. It'll be interesting to see the result, as it's a very different audience over there.

Screen Shot 2020-06-04 at 6.19.29 pm.png

Oh.........I see.  (thumbsu

I thought you was refrring to this CGC 9.8 graded copy which had sold for $31K about a year ago at the end of May 2019 and I guess this latest CVA copy shows a significant drop in price compared to last year which makes me can't wait to see what the Heritage copy will eventually sell for as more and more of these get graded at this CGC 9.8 condition level:  hm  :taptaptap:

https://comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAUCTIONS%2FSEARCH.ASP%3FFocusedOnly%3D1%26where%3Dauctions%26title%3Dalbedo%26ItemType%3DCB%23Item_1303830&id=1303830&itemType=0#detail

RADB55142019218_163713.jpg

I will also most definitely agree with you that it is virtually insane to see stratospheric multiples more being paid for books simply because they are one tiny grade increment, considering that grading is still just a subjective matter of opinion when the book crosses the grading table.  Especially in the case of relatively common MA books which actually has no real value if they are below a grade of say 9.6.  :screwy:

I guess that's why I feel a lot safer buying a GA book where the value is based so much more on the underlying book itself and how it presents relative to the assigned grade on the label.  In this particular situation, it's really all so much more to do with finding a copy of a HTF book as opposed to the former situation where it's so much more to do with chasing after the label for relatively easy to find books.  (shrug)

No problem with both types of collectors though, as it's really a case of to each, their own.  (thumbsu

11 hours ago, Wolverinex said:

So there were 2 stories in albedo 2?

Yup.

The first story, The Goblin of Adachigahara, is the 8 page intro to Usagi by Stan Sakai.

The second story, a 13 pager, is a continuing serial by Steve Gallaci.

Sorry I’m a little late to the game with Albedo 2. Could someone explain to me why it’s become soo 🔥 🔥 🔥? I mean I get the print numbers were super low, like 2K run if I recall. Other than that any other reason?

Edited by LDarkseid1

11 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Sorry I’m a little late to the game with Albedo 2. Could someone explain to me why it’s become soo 🔥 🔥 🔥? I mean I get the print numbers were super low, like 2K run if I recall. Other than that any other reason?

Because it is the first appearance of Usagi Yojimbo and Usagi Yojimbo is awesome and next to the Barks ducks likely the best anthromorphic comic character in history (with TMNT running third).

48 minutes ago, david20009 said:

Because it is the first appearance of Usagi Yojimbo and Usagi Yojimbo is awesome and next to the Barks ducks likely the best anthromorphic comic character in history (with TMNT running third).

Alright, so the dude is awesome. Well I guess that says it all 😂.

Turns out my expectations were correct and this copy sold for a bit less than the last. Three of the 10 CGC 9.8 copies trading hands in less than 14 months is a lot of the market to absorb. Also I do not think this is the type of book you sell at Heritage. It is a ComicLink type of book. I think Heritage is better for golden age while ComicLink has the customer base that follow silver age to copper age.

In any event $31,000 (May 28, 2020) to $22,750 (May 27, 2020) to $19,800 (July 9, 2020).

Hopefully the next 9.8 will not come up for sale for another year or two so things can start trending upwards again.

4 hours ago, david20009 said:

Also I do not think this is the type of book you sell at Heritage. It is a ComicLink type of book. I think Heritage is better for golden age while ComicLink has the customer base that follow silver age to copper age.

I would generally temd to agree with this comment, especially if you are referring to CGC highest graded copies of books from the more common BA to CA time periods, as CL is the go to auction house of choice for the CGC label chasers.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I would generally temd to agree with this comment, especially if you are referring to CGC highest graded copies of books from the more common BA to CA time periods, as CL is the go to auction house of choice for the CGC label chasers.  (thumbsu

Agree, although I wouldn’t refer to Albedo 2 as a more common book with only 2,000 copies printed originally.

27 minutes ago, david20009 said:
1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Agree, although I wouldn’t refer to Albedo 2 as a more common book with only 2,000 copies printed originally.

Although I would definitely agree with you that it has a substantially lower print run as compared to the mainstream titles from DC and Marvel, there does appear to be an abnormally high proportion of the print run slabbed in HG condition with over 100 Universal copies and a further 20 Signature copies graded at CGC 9.0 or above.  hm

13 hours ago, david20009 said:

Turns out my expectations were correct and this copy sold for a bit less than the last. Three of the 10 CGC 9.8 copies trading hands in less than 14 months is a lot of the market to absorb. Also I do not think this is the type of book you sell at Heritage. It is a ComicLink type of book. I think Heritage is better for golden age while ComicLink has the customer base that follow silver age to copper age.

In any event $31,000 (May 28, 2020) to $22,750 (May 27, 2020) to $19,800 (July 9, 2020).

Hopefully the next 9.8 will not come up for sale for another year or two so things can start trending upwards again.

This book has what looks to be a spine tick that you could see when you zoom in on the hi-res image. That alone kept me from bidding on this book, and I assume others may have noticed as well, hence the lower hammer. Otherwise I would have taken it past $20k.

27 minutes ago, shortboxed said:

This book has what looks to be a spine tick that you could see when you zoom in on the hi-res image. That alone kept me from bidding on this book, and I assume others may have noticed as well, hence the lower hammer. Otherwise I would have taken it past $20k.

I noticed that too when I was studying the scans.  Made me happy that I bought the second ComicLink copy instead of going after the one on Heritage