• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Albedo #1 & #2 Club
5 5

439 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

I hate to break this to you, but you are just wrong. You don't need to CGC a comic to insure it.  MANY high end collectors see no need to CGC books they are putting in a bank vault.  The proof is the testimony of the many high end collectors on this site who show their incredibly beautiful unencapsulated comics.  For example, to lead into this gently, here's some pictures of comics that are just sitting around in my old LCS owner's bank vault without CGC encapsulation in a small college town:

image.thumb.jpeg.39c87c4dd9ef416711580e04de6dd246.jpeg

ActionComicsGroupshot.jpg

MiniCon025.jpg

And this is just a small tip of a huge iceberg - just a small portion of the tiny portion of his books that have been posted on this site.

And then there's the most famous thread ever put up on these boards - BangZoom's "Golden Age Collection" thread full of unencapsulated high grade GA beauties, most of the best from a 2,000+ book original owner collection that would be given pedigree status if ever encapsulated, like these:

group.jpeg

ComicsCabinetGA.jpg

peps.jpeg

allamerican16.jpeg

adventure40.jpeg

If you want to see minds being blown, read this thread:

Some broken link images are here:

That Action1 is insane!

Edited by Wolverinex

23 hours ago, sfcityduck said:

CGC is not a good tool to predict how many books of a given title survived.  It is a good tool to figure out which books are relatively more likely to be sold.

This right here is the truth nugget to focus on. CGC is priceless when it comes to adding security to selling books, and if I'm even remotely thinking of selling something decent in the future I'll have it slabbed (otherwise it sits in my collection in archive sleeves which I'm sure at least 90% of serious collectors do as well...no grading, that is). 

12 hours ago, Ryan. said:

@sfcityduck, don't make yourself nuts trying to convince this guy. The comic collecting community prevalent on YouTube pushes a narrative that books with print runs in the 1500-2000 range are "ultra rare" and everything needs to be in a CGC slab to have real value. These collectors sink a ton of money into Moderns, usually get burned, and either smarten up or move on to a different hobby. 

@sfcityduck, don't make yourself nuts trying to convince this guy. The comic collecting community prevalent on YouTube pushes a narrative that books with print runs in the 1500-2000 range are "ultra rare" and everything needs to be in a CGC slab to have real value. These collectors sink a ton of money into Moderns, usually get burned, and either smarten up or move on to a different hobby. 

I hate to break it to u Ryan but I don't collect moderns and hate to burst this plucky ducks bubble but having a book not professionaly valued by a qualified insurer means u could have whatever book u think is 1 million dollars and say it's worth whatever.. Amatuers I deal with really makes me laugh 

4 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

hate to burst this plucky ducks bubble but having a book not professionaly valued by a qualified insurer means u could have whatever book u think is 1 million dollars and say it's worth whatever.. Amatuers I deal with really makes me laugh 

Do you insure any collectibles or art?  I do.  And, no, cgc encapsulation is not required for obtaining insurance.  If an appraisal is required, the only thing that needs to be certified is the appraiser.  And there are lots of certified appraisers (CGC is a grader not an appraiser).  However, there are collectible insurers which do not require an appraisal for most items - like this one:  https://collectinsure.com/comics

Less paperwork and red tape
Unlike homeowners insurance, we do not require a schedule or appraisal for most items; however, you are responsible for maintaining your own inventory for insurance purposes (in the event of loss). The only exceptions are individual items or sets valued over $25,000 apiece, which would have to be scheduled.

23 hours ago, Kalel38 said:

Amatuers I deal with really makes me laugh 

Dude, you didn't even know basic info about the Mile High Action 1 - the best book in the hobby - and you're calling other folks here "amateurs"?  

Not the best way to gain a deeper understanding of the hobby.

Edited by sfcityduck

Getting things back to Albedo, I thought I'd post this image of an auction result I just found while poking around on the web.

Auction from 2014 for a group of Albedo books, including the super rare #0 first printing with the yellow drafting table (only 50 copies).

Not to mention a bunch of early Usagi Yojimbo appearances.  Some lucky person got this lot for only $40.

AlbedoAuction.jpg

On 10/9/2020 at 9:44 AM, Wolverinex said:
On 10/8/2020 at 7:07 PM, Kalel38 said:

Book is gonna be a beast when the Netflix series starts 

Yes,  Usagi has cooled off since the announcement so I've been quietly buying more Usagi 1,  Space Usagi 1s and other cheaper keys... once the show appears.... everything will boost significantly

Hate to break the news to all of the speculators here, but as history has clearly shown us time and time again..............virtually all movie and TV or other media hype related book tends to blow up with the initial announcement and by the time they hit the theatres or your TV screen, they are already well on the way back down.  :gossip:  :tonofbricks:

On 10/9/2020 at 3:17 PM, Kalel38 said:
On 10/9/2020 at 2:41 PM, Ryan. said:

I'm not sure I quite follow all of your points here but I'll take the bet that there are closer to 2000 copies in existence than there are 300. The vast majority of collectors have no interest in slabs. 

I seriously doubt there are close to 2000 in existence that’s like saying there would be close to 3000 first print copies of Tmnt #1 and 2000 still in raw state because collectors like them raw 

Since you are claiming there is no more than 300 copies remaining in existence and Ryan claims that it is closer to the full 2,000 print run, then the mid-point of these 2 numbers would be 1,150 copies.  Since this is the case, I would most definitely be leaning Ryan's way since there the chance of more than 1,150 copies still left in existence is clearly a lot higher than the chance of less than 1,150 copies left in existence.  Especially since this book was distributed exclusively to comic shops only which is definitely the type of customer base that would hold onto their books, as opposed to simply reading and then trashing them.  hm  (thumbsu

As for comic book collectors, they would definitely like their books in raw condition until it comes time to sell them.  Now, for the CGC generation of speculators, flippers, and label collectors, they would clearly go for the slabbed copies, but this makes up such a tiny fraction of the true comic book collecting marketplace. :gossip:

On 10/16/2020 at 9:20 PM, Kalel38 said:

When there is facts then there is proof,I'm sure there is plenty more Action Comics #1 out there just like Albedo 2 but the fact remains when u collect in this hobby and know a piticular value to something no one in there right mind is going to leave it ungraded for a certain amount of time. Every major book has a value to it once it is graded and with that grade comes "monetary"value. You don't stick a book in a blank vault let's say with a raw copy of  Marvel Comics #1 and not having the book evsluated because that's like putting a IOU stub inside saying this is worth 100,000..

From a true vintage comic book collector's point of view, what you are saying here makes absolutely no sense at all.  :gossip:

Especially when the reasons to leave a book in its raw condition until it comes time to sell it far outnumbers the reasons to have it graded and slabbed if it's only going to be sitting in your safety deposit box at the bank or even in your closet at home.  hm 

Then again, I imagine it's really a case of to each, their own; although the majority of GA collectors which I am aware of would leave their books unslabbed and stored raw in beautiful see through mylars.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

On 10/17/2020 at 10:25 PM, Kalel38 said:

I hate to break it to u Ryan but I don't collect moderns and hate to burst this plucky ducks bubble but having a book not professionaly valued by a qualified insurer means u could have whatever book u think is 1 million dollars and say it's worth whatever.. Amatuers I deal with really makes me laugh 

It's pretty clear who the amateur is in this discussion. 

Selling my Albedo #2 CGC 9.4

•     White Pages
  •     Just back from CGC in a brand new holder (the old holder had a small but ugly defect).
  •     This book has never been pressed.

https://comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsection_mult.asp%3F_SORT%3DYES%26id%3D1052%2C1384%2C4710%2C6572%2C1485%26f1%3DListDate%26ODire1%3DDESC%26f2%3Di.IssueNumber%2C%2Bi.VolumeNumber%26ODire2%3DASC%26f3%3Di.Condition%26ODire3%3DASC&id=1455371

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sorry, no trades.  Sale must be done through Comic Link.
Please feel free to make an offer there.  Thanks for looking!

Since I lurk in this thread trying to make my own dream of owning this book happen one day (I think I've accepted that the best option for me is to just buy the Usagi Yojimbo 2020 IDW Foil Reprint for display, as my other keys I'm hunting for ain't cheap either) I figured I might as well live vicariously through my friend who is also searching for Albedo #2....but he might have the means to get one.

My bestie is looking to sell a good chunk of his collection (basically every Spider-Man issue ever) and wanted me to ask if anyone here was interested in trading a low/mid Albedo #2 (raw or graded) for his Amazing Spider-Man #1 :D (signed by Stan Lee).

I told him it might be a very slim to none chance, but hey, I've made weirder trades before so who knows :D

Edited by Sauce Dog

On 10/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, sfcityduck said:

One of the benefits of being an older collector is I can reach into a box and pull out something helpful, such as this:

201885115_IMG_0636(4).thumb.jpg.b76251c16204e7fcc94c8ad3fcd58932.jpg

As you can see, even without the internet, Albedo was being promoted as a "hot title" long before anyone cared about Albedo 2.  Still, I guarantee you that Albedo 2 was being snapped up and held back then.  This was a world where drek like Fish Police 1 and Trolllords 1 were worth more then they are now.  To add some more perspective, this was a world where a Grendel 1 was being sold for $60 at the same Con where a NM JIM 83 sold for $380.  NO ONE was throwing away low print run b&w comics back then.  

And Usagi quickly became one of the few b&w characters to garner a large fan following (thanks, in part, I think to the popularity of Lone Wolf and Groo - Usagi was the middle ground).

Trollords was awesome. 

:sumo:

56 minutes ago, heartened said:

Fish Police was great!!  Beautiful covers too.  Albedo was hot but #0 and #1 were the two really expensive books.  The appeal of #2 only came years later.

Blasphemy!  Yes, as crazy as the market was at the time, the early prints of #0 primarily and #1 secondarily were "hot" but #2 was always desirable as well and just as hard to find.  #3 was where the issues became much more common.  But Usagi was an instant hit and that led to Critters #1 and his own series.  I remember finding a #2 and being far more excited than seeing an early print of #0.