• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Comic Books Seen in Movies and Television Shows
11 11

571 posts in this topic

My apologies that this isn't specifically about a comic book seen in a movie, but it is comic/movie-related.

In the 1990 William Peter Blatty movie "Exorcist 3", based on his novel "Legion", there is a scene where the main police detective (played by George C. Scott) is having a meeting/discussion with the president (a priest) of Georgetown University at the University's offices. The camera pans around the interiors of the Georgetown U.'s facility while they are having the discussion. Lights start to flicker and sound effects are in place to give the scene a mood. As the detective ventures out to the hallway to see what is going on, a shot of a statue looking like a very famous comic book villain appears! (see below - only onscreen for about 2-3 seconds)

When I first saw the film years ago, I said that's The Joker, but why is he in "Exorcist 3"?

The beauty of the internet has also led to searches that this short scene placement has also confused horror and comic book aficionados over the years also, with no clear resolution as to why?

The film's production company was Morgan Creek Films. They do enter into an arrangement with Warner Brothers a year later in 1991, so maybe that offset any legal/copyright issues. 1990 was also a year after the first Batman movie craze, but still doesn't make sense why The Joker shows up momentarily in an Exorcist movie.

image.thumb.png.5fbef11c9c1a265463c9835f0d8bcfa2.png