• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Comic Books Seen in Movies and Television Shows
11 11

571 posts in this topic

On 10/1/2020 at 5:18 AM, Alf Pogs said:

ZombieLand 2

zl.JPG

I thought when I saw this to post it, but I saw it in theaters lol

And had a wait on my hands ha, that and #100 are I think the only issues I own, well there might have been a Campbell reprint in there somewhere 

49 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

And had a wait on my hands ha, that and #100 are I think the only issues I own, well there might have been a Campbell reprint in there somewhere 

Campbell can do what they want!

7 minutes ago, kav said:
57 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Campbell can do what they want!

Hes done signing at cgc so :wishluck: that my mag gets a remark.... remarque?  :pullhair:

Hope he does what I want this one time, and maybe a few times in the future lol

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Hes done signing at cgc so :wishluck: that my mag gets a remark.... remarque?  :pullhair:

Hope he does what I want this one time, and maybe a few times in the future lol

Oh I thought you meant this Campbell.  Yeah the other Campbell CAN'T do wut he wants.  Sorry.
image.jpeg.f9384e4ea8ad0a73d28263f2558787a6.jpeg

7 hours ago, steveinthecity said:

I’m not sure those are even real magazines or mock-ups.  (shrug)

I agree. I do believe these magazines are mock ups. The Newsweek appears to be a compilation of the Kennedy berliner speech and one of his memorial photos used in magazines. The Hot Rod magazine I could not find one to match and same goes for the Mad magazine and the Time with the Kennedy Cover ( found a few that were close , but not that image) .  I could be wrong , however after looking for all four of these and unable to locate any of them , I would agree that they are mock ups. 

On 10/29/2020 at 4:09 AM, steveinthecity said:

I’m not sure those are even real magazines or mock-ups.  (shrug)

On 10/29/2020 at 12:10 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

I agree. I do believe these magazines are mock ups. The Newsweek appears to be a compilation of the Kennedy berliner speech and one of his memorial photos used in magazines. The Hot Rod magazine I could not find one to match and same goes for the Mad magazine and the Time with the Kennedy Cover ( found a few that were close , but not that image) .  I could be wrong , however after looking for all four of these and unable to locate any of them , I would agree that they are mock ups. 

Interesting-- I only asked because I did not have the time to do any research. Not sure why they would go through the trouble of creating mock up fake issues-- other than not wanting to have to get approval/pay for copyrights to reuse images of the covers. That they seemed to coordinate some of the historical events around that time in the mock-ups shows some good work by the production staff. I guess they overlook the use of comic book images? I've seen them use real images plenty of times in other moves on comic book racks-- like shown earlier in this thread re: 11.22.63 which were clearly reproductions but of actual covers.

9 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

Interesting-- I only asked because I did not have the time to do any research. Not sure why they would go through the trouble of creating mock up fake issues-- other than not wanting to have to get approval/pay for copyrights to reuse images of the covers. That they seemed to coordinate some of the historical events around that time in the mock-ups shows some good work by the production staff. I guess they overlook the use of comic book images? I've seen them use real images plenty of times in other moves on comic book racks-- like shown earlier in this thread re: 11.22.63 which were clearly reproductions but of actual covers.

That is why i have said i could be wrong.  I did look to see if i could track down some of the magazines I was a little more familiar with and could mot find those covers. The stories , titles , and images all appear to be from roughly the correct time, I was just unable to locate thos exact issues/images. There were a few of the Time Kennedy issues and some has a close resemblance,  but not those exact images that I could locate. I would agree that it seems like more work, but maybe you are on to something with not having to pay for image use.

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

I watched the episode a few nights ago and froze that scene. I saw a Deathstroke: Terminator and what appear to be later period issues of Avengers and Amazing Spider-Man. They would not have been on the stand in the early 1960’s.

So much care was taken to have clothes, cars, furniture, everything else consistent with the time period but why not the comics and magazines?

I reported my findings to my infinitely patient wife (who is not a collector) and said that this is the kind of thing that we (collectors) scrutinize. I then tried to rationalize the errors by saying because the story is a work of fiction it exists in a parallel universe where Deathstroke: Terminator comics existed in the Silver Age.

Anyway, tonight I read this thread bump and showed it to my wife so I could say “See? I’m not the only one! This is what we do!”

As far back as The Lost Boys, where the  new kid in town shows off his knowledge of Silver Age comics to impress the other nerds at a comic store (and it was all wrong), I’ve pondered trying to get a job in Hollywood as a comic book chronological accuracy consultant. That would be a cool niche position in the TV and movie industry. Unfortunately I’ve been too much of a lazy slug to follow up on that. I don’t want any set decorators to get fired for putting the wrong comics out either. I’ll just take a deep breath and enjoy the show anyway. 🙂

3 hours ago, glendgold said:

I can't page all the way through that film/tv thread, but I'm going to assume it mentions how the entire plot of The Ice Storm hinges on the lead's interpretation of FF 141. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 8.28.21 AM.png

little did he know he would one day be cast as another Marvel character-