• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

List of Comic Books Seen in Movies and Television Shows
11 11

571 posts in this topic

Not sure which book, but wasn't there a kid being chastised for comic reading in "Creepshow" the movie?

All I could find was...

The prop 10-cent "CREEPSHOW" comic book featured in the film was drawn and inked by veteran artist Jack Kamen, one of the artists for the original E.C. crime and horror comics of the 1950's. Creepshow was a tribute to these comic books. Jack Kamen also created the comic book-style poster for the film, which was also featured on the front of the Plume "Creepshow" comic book adaptation (which Bernie Wrightson, another prolific horror comic artist, drew and inked the interiors for). Originally, (Stephen King wanted Graham Ingels, another EC artist (famous for his work on the title "The Haunt of Fear") to do the artwork for the film's poster, but he refused. It was head of EC comics William M. Gaines who then suggested Jack Kamen do the assignment. Kamen accepted.

Wow talk about a scarce book! Great job of research.

Summary

Adventures of Superman (S1E16)/Action #160, Batman #66, Detective Comics #176, Mr. District Attorney #23, Mutt & Jeff #54, Superman #72, Worlds Finest #54/ LINK

Adventures of Superman (S4E2)/Superman #101 & Superboy #44/ LINK

Big Bang Theory (S5E7)/Next Men #21/ LINK

Breathless/Silver Surfer #1, #11, #18/ LINK

Brewster McCloud/Captain America #121/ LINK

Coyote Ugly/Amazing Spider-Man #129/ LINK

Different Strokes (S4E5)/Amazing Spider-Man #14, Invaders #7, World's Finest #210/ LINK

Friday the 13th Part III/Ghosts #112, Master of Kung Fu #110 & #112, Warlord #56/ LINK

Lost (S3/E11)/Mystery Tales #40/ LINK

Lost Boys/Action Comics #492, Superman #319, #321, #410, #419/ LINK

Rubicon (S1E13)/The Invisibles #1, Teen Titans Spotlight #8/ LINK

Shawshank Redemption/Archie's Pal Jughead #9/ LINK

Stand By Me/Gang Busters #66/ LINK

The 40-Year-Old Virgin/Marvel Team-Up Vol 3 #4/ LINK

The Ice Storm/Fantastic Four #141/ LINK

The Naked City/Amazing Fantasy #15, Journey Into Mystery #83/ LINK

The Tomorrow People (S1E12)/Flash Vol 2 #159/ LINK

True Romance/Sgt. Fury and His Howling Commandos #18/ LINK

Wilfred (S3E2)/Miracleman #15/ LINK

Catch Me If You Can

The Flash #135 & #179

LINK

catchme01.gif

catchme02.gif

My girlfriend and I were watching and re-watching(respectively) Steven Spielberg's 2002 film Catch Me If You Can, based on the true story of master con man Frank Abignale (played by Leonardo DiCaprio).

Watching it over again, I had forgotten how much Abignale's love of Flash comics plays into the plot--there's an early shot in the film of some issues sitting on his bureau (top photo), then later he goes around telling people his name is Barry Allen!

Not until a helpful soda jerk clues the FBI Agent Carl Hanratty on the case (Tom Hanks) as to who Barry Allen is does Hanratty start to figure out how to catch him. And after they have and Abignale is in jail, Hanratty brings him a "present" of some new Flash comics (see second photo).

I remember being impressed that whoever was in charge of props made the effort to get period correct issues of the title--that's The Flash #135 seen on top of the pile in photo 1, which came out in 1963, which was correct for that point in the movie.

In the second photo, Hanks is showing The Flash #179, which came out in 1968, which is about when that second scene takes place. Well done!

Summary

Adventures of Superman (S1E16)/Action #160, Batman #66, Detective Comics #176, Mr. District Attorney #23, Mutt & Jeff #54, Superman #72, Worlds Finest #54/ LINK

Catch Me If You Can/The Flash #135 & #179/ LINK

Chasing Amy/Madman Adventures Collection/ LINK

Different Strokes (S4E5)/Amazing Spider-Man #14, Invaders #7, World's Finest #210/ LINK

Friday the 13th Part III/Ghosts #112, Master of Kung Fu #110 & #112, Warlord #56/ LINK

Summary

Adventures of Superman (S2E8)/Superman #83/ LINK

Catch Me If You Can/The Flash #135 & #179/ LINK

Chasing Amy/Madman Adventures Collection/ LINK

Midnight Cowboy/Wonder Woman #178/ LINK

Ran across this clip from the 1977 film Nightmare in Blood. Supposedly, it was filmed inside a real comic book store called San Francisco Comic Book Co.Anyone want to try to identify the comic books shown...there's a bunch.

"Nightmare in Blood": The San Francisco Comic Book Store. from Sherilyn Connelly on Vimeo.

In the M*A*S*H episode "Run for the Money," Winchester tries to mentor a stuttering private who reads comic books. I think the episode shows an issue of Captain Marvel Adventures, but I'm not sure which one. (Winchester wants the guy to stop reading comic books and start reading serious literature.)

I know the show has tons, but here are examples from one episode. The episode of Big Bang titled "The Jiminy Conjecture" show had Wolverine Origins (mini-series) #2 and Flash #123.

Another one.

Being Human (S3E6) 34:04 Minutes

Difficult to see the books, but the boy says his father got him his usual pull list, including the Whedon run of X-Men. The vampire says, "wow."

gvL3NRN.jpg

olffJGv.jpg

Full Size Images

Zdr2syc.jpg

OcTo8yU.jpg