• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest OA Prices: The Blog

80 posts in this topic

Since I can't update the original post in my old Biggest OA Prices thread, I thought I would move the data to an easy-to-update blog:

The OA Elite - http://oaelite.blogspot.com

I want to continue discussions here on these forums (preferably in this thread as I will be posting updates here now), but I wanted an easier way to keep track of prices. Some changes you may notice include (1) separating pages into splashes and panel pages, and (2) dividing the lists between USA comics and foreign comics.

Feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

--Jim

Thanks for doing this. May I make two suggestions:

1) Keep the old table values around for historical reference

2) On the current table list what the most significant changes are

The first request provides good background on high-end market movements and the second makes it easier to process updates.

Thanks again.

The Tin Tin cover blows away any other sale :o

Yeah, and a lurking member pointed me to quite a few more panel pages in the $100K-$200K range, some of which look like rough pencils.

http://oaelite.blogspot.com has been updated with 34 new foreign pieces, all of them $100K+. Thanks Oystein S. for pointing out some additional foreign artists that I need to watch.

Thanks for doing this. May I make two suggestions:

1) Keep the old table values around for historical reference

2) On the current table list what the most significant changes are

The first request provides good background on high-end market movements and the second makes it easier to process updates.

Thanks again.

1) The tables currently in the old thread are staying there. I am hoping that people will use the auction years as references to get context. Since I am sometimes adding old auctions a history on the blog doesn't really make sense. (Also, the blog lists are static pages so there isn't the ability to store a history.)

2) New additions are marked with a † after the price to make finding them easier.

Thanks for the feedback!

http://oaelite.blogspot.com has been updated with results for Christie's Paris illustration auction. A whopping $397,015 was paid for a Tintin pencil panel page.

Looks like a prelim in fact ? I get the love for tintin and asterix, I really do, but its interesting that the Euro market doesn't seem to have the same pricing methods re finals v prelims.

The thing is that there are only a few Hergé (Tintin) pieces on the market and a lot of them are panels or stuff he did for postcards and so on. Complete pages are extremely hard to come by, that's why a complete prelim page went for such a price.

It is also very hard to find Uderzo (Asterix) pages, most of the pages in private collections or on the market were given as gifts from him over his career.

Imagine what the American OA market would be like if there were only 40 or 50 Kirby FF pages out there....

The thing is that there are only a few Hergé (Tintin) pieces on the market and a lot of them are panels or stuff he did for postcards and so on. Complete pages are extremely hard to come by, that's why a complete prelim page went for such a price.

It is also very hard to find Uderzo (Asterix) pages, most of the pages in private collections or on the market were given as gifts from him over his career.

Imagine what the American OA market would be like if there were only 40 or 50 Kirby FF pages out there....

i.e. a parallel to Calvin and Hobbs.

Do you know why there is this lack of available art?

Is there much difference in price between early comic work and later work once Herge set up his own studio and had other artists do much of the drawing?

I totally get it. I always felt like the small price of prelims in the US market is mostly just a reflection of supply and that if there was nothing else to collect the pricing would be different. Interesting to see that validated in the Euro market!

Question for you. When you say 50 pieces I assume you mean herge. I assume there is a lot more uderzo out there ? (I understand you say it is locked up but still I presume quite a bit more exists?). Is he still alive? If not does his estate own a significant chunk? Ie what's the population of uderzo pieces as compared to herge?

I ask because to me asterix is the premier euro comic property, not tintin and I am sort of guessing that its just limited supply and an earlier date in history perhaps that makes herge more valuable than uderzo.

But, I am saying this with no knowledge if the market and as someone who grew up reading and loving asterix. I can appreciate tintin as well but to me asterix is more enjoyable.