• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest OA Prices: The Blog

80 posts in this topic

The thing is that there are only a few Hergé (Tintin) pieces on the market and a lot of them are panels or stuff he did for postcards and so on. Complete pages are extremely hard to come by, that's why a complete prelim page went for such a price.

It is also very hard to find Uderzo (Asterix) pages, most of the pages in private collections or on the market were given as gifts from him over his career.

Imagine what the American OA market would be like if there were only 40 or 50 Kirby FF pages out there....

Do you know why there is this lack of available art?

Is there much difference in price between early comic work and later work once Herge set up his own studio and had other artists do much of the drawing?

Tin Tin is 1930s! Not much American art from that period either!

(By contrast asterix is 60s/70s)

The thing is that there are only a few Hergé (Tintin) pieces on the market and a lot of them are panels or stuff he did for postcards and so on. Complete pages are extremely hard to come by, that's why a complete prelim page went for such a price.

It is also very hard to find Uderzo (Asterix) pages, most of the pages in private collections or on the market were given as gifts from him over his career.

Imagine what the American OA market would be like if there were only 40 or 50 Kirby FF pages out there....

I totally get it. I always felt like the small price of prelims in the US market is mostly just a reflection of supply and that if there was nothing else to collect the pricing would be different. Interesting to see that validated in the Euro market!

Question for you. When you say 50 pieces I assume you mean herge. I assume there is a lot more uderzo out there ? (I understand you say it is locked up but still I presume quite a bit more exists?). Is he still alive? If not does his estate own a significant chunk? Ie what's the population of uderzo pieces as compared to herge?

I ask because to me asterix is the premier euro comic property, not tintin and I am sort of guessing that its just limited supply and an earlier date in history perhaps that makes herge more valuable than uderzo.

But, I am saying this with no knowledge if the market and as someone who grew up reading and loving asterix. I can appreciate tintin as well but to me asterix is more enjoyable.

Most of the Hergé and Uderzo art are locked up in the estates. Huge quantities of art still exist in Hergé's case and I think that all the Asterix art is in the estate, but due to this there is not much on the market.

There is a rumor that "artist editions" of Tintin will be produced in the next years, thus I guess that nearly all finished pages are in the estate.

Do you know why there is this lack of available art?

Is there much difference in price between early comic work and later work once Herge set up his own studio and had other artists do much of the drawing?

Every time a Hergé piece hits the market it sells for large amounts.

All albums were modernized a few times over the years, but I have no idea how this was done. My guess is that a stat of the original Hergé art was made and the modernizations were then pasted up over the stat, but that's just a guess.

I totally get it. I always felt like the small price of prelims in the US market is mostly just a reflection of supply and that if there was nothing else to collect the pricing would be different. Interesting to see that validated in the Euro market!

Question for you. When you say 50 pieces I assume you mean herge. I assume there is a lot more uderzo out there ? (I understand you say it is locked up but still I presume quite a bit more exists?). Is he still alive? If not does his estate own a significant chunk? Ie what's the population of uderzo pieces as compared to herge?

I ask because to me asterix is the premier euro comic property, not tintin and I am sort of guessing that its just limited supply and an earlier date in history perhaps that makes herge more valuable than uderzo.

But, I am saying this with no knowledge if the market and as someone who grew up reading and loving asterix. I can appreciate tintin as well but to me asterix is more enjoyable.

Most of the Hergé and Uderzo art are locked up in the estates. Huge quantities of art still exist in Hergé's case and I think that all the Asterix art is in the estate, but due to this there is not much on the market.

There is a rumor that "artist editions" of Tintin will be produced in the next years, thus I guess that nearly all finished pages are in the estate.

thank you!

thank you!

You're welcome!

And I forgot to mention that Uderzo is still alive, he will be 87 years old on the 25th of April.

I updated http://oaelite.blogspot.com with the HA results, with two new #1 ranked pages!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, $657K for the very first Wolverine. We all knew we would see a big price, but we weren't sure how big. This price blows away all other panel pages (domestic and foreign) and ties the price for the Amazing Spider-Man #328 cover.

The other notable piece from this auction was the Alex Raymond Flash Gordon Sunday (pictured below). I am not sure if one of the panels being used as a 1995 stamp caused this to be the highest priced comic strip, but I would be feeling pretty good if I was the guy who paid $35K for the Raymond Sunday last August.

Panel Pages:

#1: $657,250: Incredible Hulk #180 page 21 (Herb Trimpe, Jack Abel)

Comic Strips:

#1: $215,100: Flash Gordon Strip 8/28/1938 (Sunday - Alex Raymond)

Splashes:

#8: $59,750: Incredible Hulk #5 page 1 (Jack Kirby, Ayers)

#10: $53,775: Avengers #81 page 1 (John Buscema, Tom Palmer)

#11 (tie): $50,787: The Dark Knight Returns #2 page 3 (Frank Miller, Klaus Janson)

These are Trimpe, Raymond and Buscema's 1st entries in any of the ranking lists.

http://oaelite.blogspot.com is updated with HA results, as well as May's Paris Tintin auction (yeah, I was a little behind on that one).

Panel Pages:

#4. $107,550: Batman: The Killing Joke [nn] page 14 (Brian Bolland)

Splash Pages:

#7. $65,725: Amazing Spider-Man #78 Page 1 (John Buscema, Jim Mooney)

Foreign Covers:

#1. $3,620,070: Tintin - Garde Bleu Foncé (Hergé - 2,654,400 €)

Foreign Panel Pages:

#6. $275,814: Tintin au Tibet page 38 [pencil prelim] (Hergé - 202,240 €)

Foreign Splash Pages:

#1. $241,338: Tin Tin: Le Crabe Aux Pinces D'or [Game Illustration] (Hergé - 176,960 €)

I know it's been said before, but tremendous job on this blog. It's absolutely mind-boggling and an invaluable resource.

(thumbs u

http://oaelite.blogspot.com is updated with HA results, as well as May's Paris Tintin auction (yeah, I was a little behind on that one).

Panel Pages:

#4. $107,550: Batman: The Killing Joke [nn] page 14 (Brian Bolland)

Splash Pages:

#7. $65,725: Amazing Spider-Man #78 Page 1 (John Buscema, Jim Mooney)

Foreign Covers:

#1. $3,620,070: Tintin - Garde Bleu Foncé (Hergé - 2,654,400 €)

Foreign Panel Pages:

#6. $275,814: Tintin au Tibet page 38 [pencil prelim] (Hergé - 202,240 €)

Foreign Splash Pages:

#1. $241,338: Tin Tin: Le Crabe Aux Pinces D'or [Game Illustration] (Hergé - 176,960 €)

Thx for your efforts with this, always enjoy reviewing the list.

FYI the miller DK piece if we are thinking of the same one is a signature plate/ frontispiece and not a cover

Thx for your efforts with this, always enjoy reviewing the list.

FYI the miller DK piece if we are thinking of the same one is a signature plate/ frontispiece and not a cover

Ah, I thought it was a cover of a special edition. I will have to fix that. Thanks!

Does the list include reported private deals? or just public auctions?

I include private cash sales as people tell me about them, though that doesn't often happen. They are mostly public sales with links to information on the sale.

I include private cash sales as people tell me about them, though that doesn't often happen. They are mostly public sales with links to information on the sale.

I've said this before, but for the sake of the integrity/credibility of your list, I don't believe you should include private sales. Too problematic.

I've said this before, but for the sake of the integrity/credibility of your list, I don't believe you should include private sales. Too problematic.

Shouldn`t it depend on the credibility of the person reporting the sale to him?