• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sci-Fi before the Space Age
1 1

95 posts in this topic

You're right about affordability too...... even the Wood covers and some of the best of the EC's don't get too outrageous.... even in higher grades. In my opinion, the most under priced book in comics is a Sci Fi title..... Planet Comics #1. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(A friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/31/2017 at 9:08 AM, miraclemet said:

Realized I never shared this beauty

I dont think I realized that the girl on the cover had wings for years after first seeing the cover... not kidding.

A nice complete attached VG copy. Right in my wheelhouse. Nice enough, but not to nice to keep raw and enjoy thumbing through. Picked up here on the boards. An Avon classic cover. One shot/no number book. Im not sure who the "earth man" is on the cover since everyone (including the ant) has antennae! From 1951 (man how I love those 50s books!) with a Gene Fawcette cover.

BK4Nwh0.jpg

I think that, in all reality, is my favorite type of book.  A 5.0-6.5 that's nice but not so nice you feel you should slab it. 

Great book!

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Pretty sure I will go with these two as my top two non-Planet sci-fi covers.   

I think that FF 209 sub crease will press out nicely. hm

Spoiler

IMG_3020.jpg

Rick, I've always been partial to FF213, it just feels a little Kirby tech, or Woods maybe along with the Frazetta sweetness... and some awesome composition elements...  (followed by 210 and 214, though I think 214 suffers from the scale of that giant red planet)

FF213.jpg

3 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

IMG_2973.jpg

And I've expressed my reservations about EC books (Rick that WS20 is in GREAT shape with some super deep colors!) Letting the title consume 40% of the comic cover is a disgrace considering the quality of artists they had drawing those covers! Thus no EC books in my collection so far... (though from time to time I do get tempted...

38 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Rick, I've always been partial to FF213, it just feels a little Kirby tech, or Woods maybe along with the Frazetta sweetness... and some awesome composition elements...  (followed by 210 and 214, though I think 214 suffers from the scale of that giant red planet)

FF213.jpg

That whole Frazetta run does it for me. October picked up an awesome group of the whole group, if I remember right, about 8 months ago and I was seriously contemplating pulling the trigger, but he beat me to it. 

All great books.  In terms of Frazetta Famous Funnies, I'm a huge fan of 210! Need to find my scan/photo....

Edited by piper

On 3/16/2017 at 6:19 AM, piper said:

All great books.  In terms of Frazetta Famous Funnies, I'm a huge fan of 210! Need to find my scan/photo....

210 Is just so dynamic and fluid (which is funny since it's underwater) 

I feel like colorwise it's a little washed out (hah!) and nothing pops in terms of the colors, but the action and motion cant be denied...

Well I missed on another FF213 because of my non-standard location... If I didnt have a job I'd just shift my sleep schedule so I could be awake when the boards are most active... 

Speaking of things I missed on, CC had a big batch of Space Adventures listings a few auctions ago, and I wanted to document some of the crazy realized prices. 

I was really surprised at the high prices, especially for less than stellar gades. The one book #32 was both high grade (9.4) and a pedigree, and went for even more than I expected (considering I knew what I'd paid for other similar 9.4 and 9.6 pedgree SA books).  Less than a month later I paid less for an old label 9.4 bethlehem copy of issue #17. So lower number issue, for less money! Im still scratching my head over the results of the ComicConnect auction...

Cconnect auction results SA.png

Edited by miraclemet

19 minutes ago, miraclemet said:

Well I missed on another FF213 because of my non-standard location... If I didnt have a job I'd just shift my sleep schedule so I could be awake when the boards are most active... 

Speaking of things I missed on, CC had a big batch of Space Adventures listings a few auctions ago, and I wanted to document some of the crazy realized prices. 

I was really surprised at the high prices, especially for less than stellar gades. The one book #32 was both high grade (9.4) and a pedigree, and went for even more than I expected (considering I knew what I'd paid for other similar 9.4 and 9.6 pedgree SA books).  Less than a month later I paid less for an old label 9.4 bethlehem copy of issue #17. So lower number issue, for less money! Im still scratching my head over the results of the ComicConnect auction...

Cconnect auction results SA.png

Those early space adventures went for solid numbers. I didn't know that they were going that strong. I've had a couple number 2. Great cover.  

Well I got closed out of two lovely Space Western comic books from the amazing John Berk collection that was auctioned last week at ComicConnect. 

I was ready to bid big, but someone was ready to bid bigger... The CGC 6.0 copy of SW40 went for $611, and the $6.0 copy of #43 went for $650 (these are my two favorite covers from the run).  I was ready to $500 each, but when both went past that point I had to walk away. BUT the good news, is that it means my war chest was full when a few books came up here and on eBay. Two books that have been on the top of my want list for years. 

First up, the aforementioned Famous Funnies #213. 

Coming from Jimbo, a nice looking (cant wait to get it in hand) copy. Complete and all attached. Some chipping at the top, but nice deep colors. I love Frazetta's Kirby-esque details on the ship, and the detailed rendering 

rIlAkAO.jpg

And then the other book I fought for on eBay sunday night. Another Frazetta lovely that I've been hunting for a copy of for years. Mid-grade copies hit $500+ in the last few years, so it became a search for a decent condition copy, and I've got my fingers crossed for this one. Cant wait to get it in hand... Buster Crabbe 5

2tlJeRv.jpg

Again, if I had won a Berks book, I wouldnt have had the bank to get both of these, and would have had to play sophie's choice with them.... so everything works out in the end!

• Administrator

This is the original view of this journal on the Chat Boards. This view is locked, so members can no longer reply here.

This journal is also posted in the new Journals section, which is unlocked. Click the link below to see any other comments about this journal and post new replies.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/blogs/entry/3730-sci-fi-before-the-space-age/

• Administrator

You can also click "My Journal" in the main menu to quickly find your own journal, journal entries, and replies.

07 My Journal CGC.png

And you can search all journals by using the search tool.

08 Search Journals CGC.png

• Administrator

You can find journal entries by a specific author by using the search tool and visiting their profile, and you can follow members to get notifications when they post new content.

09 Members Journals CGC.png

1 1