• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Local Philly Show -- Con Report

11 posts in this topic

I need a distraction from writing this brief, as I'm beginning to pull my hair out, so I thought I'd share a quick report from the local Philly show... which was actually pretty good for me.

This month's show was the last one to be held at the Holiday Inn out by the stadium, and will now move to a location closer to the airport. In many ways, this is a good thing since it will no longer conflict with the stadium and event parking.

As always, the local Philly show provides basically the same crew of guys each time, so there are generally few surprises.

I got there at about 10:15 am or so, met up with Solar and chatted about various topics. Spun around the room, spoke to Gary Platt, and picked up a whole slew of 9.4/9.6 JLAs from the 140s-180s. I missed out on a couple of the more key books from the run by being a whopping 15 minutes late. They weren't even snapped up by other dealers... another collector beat me to the punch. In addition, Gary had some 9.4/9.6 bronze FFs that I also picked up -- or should I say will pick up once priced at the National.

He has some really nice stuff, and lately has come into a couple of very nice bronze collections.

At around 11:30 or so, I ended up having brunch with another collector friend of mine and returned to the show around 1:15 to complete the transaction of the rest of my business. As always, ran into Al Stoltz. Of course, Al was sort of dealing with another situation because Jeff Weaver, of Mad Cow Comics, thought he was having a heart attack at the beginning of the show and had to go to the hospital. Luckily Jeff's ok, and actually returned towards the very end of the show.

Al had a bunch of nice books, and the truth is, I wasn't exactly looking to spend money because I know I'll want to spend money at the National. However, Al had something I could not walk away from. He had an unopened DC 3 Pack containing a Batman 251. When I looked at the book, I could spot no defects. At all. No spine stress, no blunted corners, no surface wear... nothing. I really could have cared less about the other two books... a Superboy and Legion (1st with Legion in title... $32 book in OS guide) and a Shazam 5. Whatever. BUT the 251 was gorgeous, and I was sure, at a minimum, it was a 9.6 -- after closer inspection, I thought the book might actually be a 9.8. I had to get it. Al asked for $250, which was very reasonable and I bought it, along with a couple of other books. It's getting to the point where the only reason I go to the Philly show is to talk to Gary and Al.

After that, i didn't want to really spend a lot more money, since I have a commission piece from Buzz coming... but we'll see. I have some stuff to get slabbed, and a whole run of books to pick up from Gary, so I think my National will be comic filled enough.

He had an unopened DC 3 Pack containing a Batman 251. When I looked at the book, I could spot no defects. At all. No spine stress, no blunted corners, no surface wear... nothing.

Isn't it scary that after thirty years, there are still unopened packs of comic books.

The show was somewhat disappointing for me since Gene wasn't at the show this time. I usually buy a book or two from him.

I would like it if the show would increase in size a bit because I'm tired of seeing the same stuff every show. Too bad that it's not held in Center City, but I doubt that the show could be held inexpensively if it were.

Good thing the National is this weekend.... looking forward to it. I already have a couple books lined up that I'll be bringing home.

Glad to hear that Jeff Weaver is OK. He's a good guy. I always like talking to Al and Jeff.