• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM Chilling Tales #17

22 posts in this topic

Just curious what grade you think this comic deserves? It's Chilling Tales #17, published by Youthful Magazines in 1953. There appear to be some light creases on the cover or back cover (straight lines, such as an apparent vertical one in the lower-center of the front cover), but otherwise it lies flat and has good color, etc. Staples are tight at centerfold.Please let me know. Thank you.

ym-chilling17-0.jpg

ym-chilling17-1.jpg

ym-chilling17-2.jpg

ym-chilling17-3.jpg

5.0 due to the color breaking crease in the lower center of the FC, and additional crease in the logo and on back cover.

Can you clarify what you mean by "in the logo"? Not sure what you're referring to there.

Actually just below the the first "I" in the title.

I'm more interested in what's going on with the B.C. through Atlas's elbow joint on the left arm just to the right of the trophy? Is that a crease that goes through?

Looks like a lot of the horizontal white lines appear to be roller marks on the F.C.

I'm more interested in what's going on with the B.C. through Atlas's elbow joint on the left arm just to the right of the trophy? Is that a crease that goes through?

Looks like a lot of the horizontal white lines appear to be roller marks on the F.C.

I think there is another one that runs through the words "Check" and "you" TLHC of the back cover. I still think 6.0 is a fair grade given that the creases are not severe!smiley-gen130.gif

Thanks again. I kinda needed a reality check on this. (Backstory: Somebody is mailing it back to me after an auction, unhappy with the condition/grade, and I am accepting the situation as being my mistake. I had an oversight on the crease lines, not mentioning them in the text description.)

Thanks again. I kinda needed a reality check on this. (Backstory: Somebody is mailing it back to me after an auction, unhappy with the condition/grade, and I am accepting the situation as being my mistake. I had an oversight on the crease lines, not mentioning them in the text description.)

Your FN+ grade was pretty much in line with everbody else's except mine, and the flaws are pretty visible. The "hardly any creases" in the description might have made the buyer lax about inspecting the scans as closely as he/she should have. (shrug)

I may be tougher than others on color breaking creases that are more than an inch at most, and I've seen some CGC 6.0 and 6.5s that I felt had creases (along with other wear) that should have warranted a bit lower grade. Metropolis has a CGC 6.0 of the same book listed that looks to me to be seriously overgraded due to heavy foxing. Such is the subjectivity of grading, particularly in the mid-grades. If Metro gets their price it would make yours look like a bargain.

I still don't see creasing on the front cover, even after looking a couple of times... certainly nothing that would keep the book out of the Fine range. (The horizontal lines towards the bottom just look like print roller marks to me, and I'd call the color-breaking tick under the logo a 'welt' rather than 'crease', unless it's worse in hand.) That said, I do now see the creases on the back cover (hat tip to rjpb) and it does appear they break color, so I'd agree with him that a strict 5.0, maybe a soft 5.5, seems about right. Still a great-looking book.

In this instance, scans rather than photos would probably help (just sayin') :foryou: ...or, obviously, a more exhaustive description and a tighter grade combined with the photos you do have. And if you keep the current photos, maybe at least give the back cover its own separate photo, rather than a combo photo with the front cover, to make it easier to view. But if this is your worst mulligan, I'd say you're doing pretty well.