• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87

237 posts in this topic

Just got my very first CGC book and its New Mutants 87 Cable.. So yeah what do you guys think of this book??

Outside of her slabbed sketch, thats my wife;s first CGC book! She got Liefeld to sign it. I like the issue, Liefeld gets a lot of hate because he did put out some pretty awful work, I still give him a pass for Cable and Deadpool though.

This is also not true, evidenced by the fact that that was precisely what happened.

:screwy:

So you are saying that with NM 96, which is stated to have a print run of 316K, a *later* issue with 3 major first appearances, sold LESS?

What are you drinking tonight and where can I get some. lol

Your basic illogic could only be formed by someone who didn't frequent the LCS during this time, and it's a real common thread with you. Were you ever part of the hobby prior to the 90's?

[if by "quarrel", you mean opinion liberally sprinkled with insults vs. hard data, sure.

The only "hard" thing about you is your skull and yes, she said that with a smile.

Seriously, you repute to have "hard data" guaranteeing 100% on your life, that the total print run of NM 98 was exactly 250K, so produce it and let me see exactly where you're getting it from, and it better be verifiable straight from Marvel, not some stupid unverified Krause pocketbook or something (which admittedly doesn't include all DM shipments). :tonofbricks:

Because along with the circulation statements, I also have the Capital City order numbers for every issue (as does anyone who owns a Krause Standard Catalog of Comic Books.)

That Krause stuff is worse than useless, and I thought you said there was no verified circulation statements from the later NM issues?

And yes, I would definitely believe Todd McFarlane over some noted board psychopath when it comes to how many issues he sold per month. :roflmao:

the funny thing is that JC's comment was not even that there are a badjillion copies of 98, only that the book had gotten a bunch more popular between 87 and 98 so there are a chunk more 98s than 87s. is that really in dispute even if the print totals are in dispute?

(with that said, i do like the cover of 87)

This is also not true, evidenced by the fact that that was precisely what happened.

So you are saying that with NM 96, which is stated to have a print run of 316K, a *later* issue with 3 major first appearances, sold LESS?

1. New Mutants #96 may have sold a little more, a little less than #98. The Cap City numbers for #96 are 55,500, while #98 is 55,200 (statistically insignificant), so it's probably safe to extrapolate those numbers out to newsstand and Diamond and the other Direct market distributors. #96 was part of the immensely popular X-Tinction Agenda, while #98 was not, so it's safe to say that, yes, #96 sold more than #98 overall.

2. The issue that is "stated to have a print run of 316K" was published prior to Oct 1, 1990, which means, at the latest, it was issue #95 (and actually probably #93.) #98 came out in December of 1990, two and a half months after the issues covered in the SOO of issue #99.

3. "Major first appearances"...according to whom? It's easy to rewrite history from hindsight, but to claim that New Mutants #98 contained three "major" first appearances...? Nobody cared about Deadpool, Gideon, or Domino. Nobody cared, except in a few blips, for 16-17 YEARS about this book.

Your basic illogic could only be formed by someone who didn't frequent the LCS during this time, and it's a real common thread with you. Were you ever part of the hobby prior to the 90's?

I'm not going to insult your experience, or your background, or anything else about you, as you do to everyone else. I'm just going to counter what you say with the facts.

As far as "frequenting the LCS during this time"... lol

Ask the owners of the Land of Nevawuz (both Danville AND Castro Valley), Halley's Comics (both Pleasanton AND San Lorenzo), Clay's Comics (Hayward), Comix & Comics (Berkeley), Fact, Fiction, and Fantasy (Livermore), The Comic Shop (San Leandro), and a hole in the wall shop in Pleasanton whose name I forget, another in Castro Valley whose name I forget, one in Fremont whose name I forget (but who I think is still there...hole in the wall shop by railroad tracks?)....those being the shops I nearly lived at during this time...how "frequently I was at the LCS during this time."

They couldn't get rid of me.

:whee:

Because along with the circulation statements, I also have the Capital City order numbers for every issue (as does anyone who owns a Krause Standard Catalog of Comic Books.)

That Krause stuff is worse than useless, and I thought you said there was no verified circulation statements from the later NM issues?

You are now disputing the Capital City order numbers?

The Capital City order numbers are not the same thing as the circulation statements.

You're confusing many, many, many issues. You have many, many, many details confused.

And yes, I would definitely believe Todd McFarlane over some noted board psychopath when it comes to how many issues he sold per month. :roflmao:

Source, please. Not "Todd McFarlane", because I can't call him up on the phone for a statement. I would like your PUBLISHED source for this information.

Trivia:

Does anyone know exactly WHAT was "the hot book" when New Mutants #98 came out in December of 1990....?

Hint: it wasn't New Mutants #87. It wasn't even a Marvel.

I have no idea what the answer to this is, but in the spirit of this discussion, I might as well answer anyway.

Was it... let's see, not a Marvel... 1990... hmm... was it The Killing Joke?

[if by "quarrel", you mean opinion liberally sprinkled with insults vs. hard data, sure.

The only "hard" thing about you is your skull and yes, she said that with a smile.

Seriously, you repute to have "hard data" guaranteeing 100% on your life, that the total print run of NM 98 was exactly 250K,

I have never said that. Please do not make things up and then claim that I said them.

I have said, over and over again, that BOTH the print run information (between 250-350k copies printed) and SALES information (between 175,000-250,000) are *estimates*, based on numbers from multiple sources. It is a reliable estimate, based on those numbers.

so produce it and let me see exactly where you're getting it from, and it better be verifiable straight from Marvel, not some stupid unverified Krause pocketbook or something (which admittedly doesn't include all DM shipments). :tonofbricks:

The print run information contained in the Krause Standard Catalog of Comic Books, particularly from this era, is from two sources: the yearly Statements of Ownership (aka "circulation statements") where available, and the Capital City order numbers, again where available.

The print run information from Marvel has not been released, if it still exists.

The order information from Diamond has not been released, if it still exists.

Are you suggesting that the editors of the SCOCB are lying? Are you suggesting that they made those numbers up? That they have defrauded their customers with false information?

Are you suggesting that Capital City Distribution, the second largest comic book distributor in the world prior to them being acquired by Diamond in 1996 is also lying about their order numbers? That they're just making them up?

Are you?

Trivia:

Does anyone know exactly WHAT was "the hot book" when New Mutants #98 came out in December of 1990....?

I have no idea what the answer to this is, but in the spirit of this discussion, I might as well answer anyway.

Was it... let's see, not a Marvel... 1990... hmm... was it The Killing Joke?

No, Killing Joke was two years old by this time. But you're kinda warm. ;)

Trivia:

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Very close, but he'd been replaced by this time. Lobo #1 was the hit of early Fall.

Trivia:

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Very close, but he'd been replaced by this time. Lobo #1 was the hit of early Fall.

Batman 442?

Ummm, speaking of substance abuse, I want what you're smoking to say that those first appearances - throwaway Liefeld characters at the time - mattered a good godd*mn to anyone at the time. First appearances aren't "major" without the benefit of 20 years of hindsight

Trivia:

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Batman 442?

Getting VERY warm...but no. :)

Ummm, speaking of substance abuse, I want what you're smoking to say that those first appearances - throwaway Liefeld characters at the time - mattered a good godd*mn to anyone at the time. First appearances aren't "major" without the benefit of 20 years of hindsight

ahhh I see RMA stole my point. :)

ahhh I see RMA stole my point. :)

:sorry:

I didn't know it was yours. I promise I'll give it back when I'm done with it. It'll still be good as new! ;)

Trivia:

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Batman 442?

Getting VERY warm...but no. :)

doh! I was a year off. Was it Robin #1?

Edited by awakeintheashes

ALF?

Ummm, speaking of substance abuse, I want what you're smoking to say that those first appearances - throwaway Liefeld characters at the time - mattered a good godd*mn to anyone at the time.

Because Lefield was hot (read any OS from the time), Cable was hot, and people were hoping one of these would be "the next Cable".

And in case you didn't know, NM 87 was a key issue a year or so after publication. Smoke that crackhead.