• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 87

237 posts in this topic

Ummm, speaking of substance abuse, I want what you're smoking to say that those first appearances - throwaway Liefeld characters at the time - mattered a good godd*mn to anyone at the time.

Because Lefield was hot (read any OS from the time), Cable was hot, and people were hoping one of these would be "the next Cable".

And in case you didn't know, NM 87 was a key issue a year or so after publication. Smoke that crackhead.

STFU you blowhard.

Trivia:

Does anyone know exactly WHAT was "the hot book" when New Mutants #98 came out in December of 1990....?

Hint: it wasn't New Mutants #87. It wasn't even a Marvel.

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Very close, but he'd been replaced by this time. Lobo #1 was the hit of early Fall.

Batman 442?

Getting VERY warm...but no. :)

doh! I was a year off. Was it Robin #1?

DING DING DING!!

We have a ^^

Ummm, speaking of substance abuse, I want what you're smoking to say that those first appearances - throwaway Liefeld characters at the time - mattered a good godd*mn to anyone at the time.

Because Lefield was hot (read any OS from the time), Cable was hot, and people were hoping one of these would be "the next Cable".

And in case you didn't know, NM 87 was a key issue a year or so after publication. Smoke that crackhead.

STFU you blowhard.

ah the beginning of the end of this thread...I think we've all learned a lot and now we all finally know that we should invest in NM 87 AND NM 98.

Trivia:

Does anyone know exactly WHAT was "the hot book" when New Mutants #98 came out in December of 1990....?

Hint: it wasn't New Mutants #87. It wasn't even a Marvel.

Maybe Lobo mini series??

Very close, but he'd been replaced by this time. Lobo #1 was the hit of early Fall.

Batman 442?

Getting VERY warm...but no. :)

doh! I was a year off. Was it Robin #1?

DING DING DING!!

We have a ^^

:acclaim:

Really...?

While it is true that Liefeld was hot (to an extent), and Cable was hot (to an extent), I'd sure like to know who those people were who "were hoping one of these would be 'the next Cable'" when the first Cable was only a $5-$10 book at this time (Dec of 1990.)

This is very true....but just what does "key" mean? A "year or so after" publication was the same time as NM #99. #87 was a $5-$10 book at this time.

A year LATER, after X-Force had been published 4-5 months, the book was $60, true.

But that was two years after #87, and almost a year after it was second printed.

STFU you blowhard.

ah the beginning of the end of this thread...I think we've all learned a lot and now we all finally know that we should invest in NM 87 AND NM 98.

Ick. I would never invest in NM #98. I don't see anywhere near the potential that I do #87.

I may be wrong, but I just don't see #98 gaining substantially in value in the short term...and long term, who knows, once comics stop being printed.

What some people don't seem to understand, or are unwilling to accept, is that while New Mutants was being published, the book was never "on fire." That includes all the way up to #100, which saw X-Men type numbers, but had a lot going for it.

What really turned things up was 1. New Mutants was cancelled, and the wait in between #100 and X-Force #1 only fueled demand, much like the wait between Spidey #328 and Spiderman #1 had the year before and 2. X-Force itself. When that appeared, it was the best selling "modern" of all time (for two months, anyways!), and it created a FRENZY of demand for the New Mutants.

You could still buy most of the Liefeld New Mutants for a buck or two over cover...until X-Force #1 came out in June, and then it was forget it. They were all $10-$30 books, with #87 leading the way at about $60-$70 (though some were getting $100 for it!) #88 was $30 in the OPG Update. Hot hot hot hot hot, all that fall and winter. In fact, it took Valiant in the summer of 1992 to really put the brakes on New Mutants and Cable. I have little doubt that the most sought after back issues on the market in the fall and winter of 1991/92 were New Mutants, especially #87.

But 1990, and up until #100....? Not so much. A decent simmer, but that was about it.

What some people don't seem to understand, or are unwilling to accept, is that while New Mutants was being published, the book was never "on fire." That includes all the way up to #100, which saw X-Men type numbers, but had a lot going for it.

What some will never admit is that by NM 100, of course it was on fire. Why do you think X-Force #1 sold so many copies (or at least printed so many copies)? To say the Liefeld-Cable 'magic' of the time didn't cause all that excitement would be dismissing reality.

What some will never admit is that by NM 100, of course it was on fire. Why do you think X-Force #1 sold so many copies (or at least printed so many copies)? To say the Liefeld-Cable 'magic' of the time didn't cause all that excitement would be dismissing reality.

Please don't attempt to engage me, Bosco. It is much better when you and I don't interact.

Thanks.

Good thing I didn't say that then, huh...?

Please don't engage me, Bosco. It is much better when you and I don't interact.

Thanks.

You had no problem with that in the General Sales thread. So don't try and play the victim now.

New Mutants was hot at the end of that run, leading into X-Force #1 becoming the production nightmare it turned into. There is no arguing that fact.

In terms of "investment" I don't think 87 will ever catch up to 98. Lets face it Deadpool is the more popular character and even non mutant fans follow him. Cable never really shed his X-Men ties.

Now I do think that Cable will get a movie appearance soon and that could give the book a bump, but not enough to get it to Deadpool levels of popularity.

Thanks.

You had no problem with that in the General Sales thread. So don't try and play the victim now.

New Mutants was hot at the end of that run, leading into X-Force #1 becoming the production nightmare it turned into. There is no arguing that fact.

Please don't attempt to engage me, Bosco. It is much better when you and I don't interact.

Thanks.

In terms of "investment" I don't think 87 will ever catch up to 98. Lets face it Deadpool is the more popular character and even non mutant fans follow him. Cable never really shed his X-Men ties.

Now I do think that Cable will get a movie appearance soon and that could give the book a bump, but not enough to get it to Deadpool levels of popularity.

Ehhhh...I dunno. Just as Cable was immensely popular, far, far more popular than any of the other characters Liefeld created in New Mutants, including Deadpool, it could happen again.

It would only take the right ingredients.

The truth is, the population of New Mutants #87 IS quite a bit less than #98, and Deadpool is a comedian. So far, comedians have not proved to be as long lasting in popularity as their serious counterparts.

Don't get me wrong, it's no contest at the moment....but Deadpool's crazy popularity has only been from the last 6 years or so. If someone were to come along and do something with Cable that blew everyone away...like Miller did with Batman...then it could change that status.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Totally agree. Just be consistent with following your own advice.

Thanks.

Given the right creative team in comics, and/or right actor and story in a movie, and the market may surprise you.

But it would definitely require the stars to align right on this.

Personally, I always loved NM # 87. Cable was a favourite of mine from the beginning.

It'd be very handy for anyone sitting on a stack of # 87's if it takes off in value.

Personally, I always loved NM # 87. Cable was a favourite of mine from the beginning.

It'd be very handy for anyone sitting on a stack of # 87's if it takes off in value.

Cable has always been a favorite for me from that series. And when the story is right, he shines.

Even if there are less 87s printed than 98, 87 has an advantage of being cared for as a collectable for a longer time. I think it was only like 7 or 8 years ago that I saw this board mention that 98 was heating up and I pulled copies out of long boxes for $5 each.

Thanks.

Thanks.

Totally agree. Just be consistent with following your own advice.

Thanks.

Third time - Please don't attempt to engage me, Bosco. It is much better when you and I don't interact.

Thanks.

Even if there are less 87s printed than 98, 87 has an advantage of being cared for as a collectable for a longer time. I think it was only like 7 or 8 years ago that I saw this board mention that 98 was heating up and I pulled copies out of long boxes for $5 each.

This is true, but I suspect it has been offset by the tons of copies (of #98) that sat in stock for the two decades. I bought 15 (I bought every issue of New Mutants #93-up @ 15 copies ea.) copies, and they sat in my box untouched for 18-19 years. I slabbed them all 9.8.

While sure, it was a dollar box book, there were still vast quantities sitting in back stock not getting damaged. The same is true of #99, #100, #97, etc.