• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

I'd be very surprised if CGC eats a 5-6k book.

Wouldn't be the first time.

There's a thread around here somewhere where a 3rd print TMNT 1 was mislabeled and sold as a 9.8 1st print.

Ha ha this always comes up. That was PGX and may have been some sort of scam.

run this number in the certification look up 1042260008 no hit yet there is a picture of it on Pedigree in a CGC holder This is not about that youtube video

+1

They are two different events.

1st: PGX youtube video: PGX returns wrong printing of TMNT

There have been questions to the merit of the situation in that video.

2nd: Pedigree book:

- In August 2011 a TMNT #1 3rd printing was incorrectly slabbed as a 1st printing CGC 9.8 and sold for $22,752 on Pedigree Comics site. Link to Pedigree sale

- CGC made the buyer whole by finding them another TMNT #1 CGC 9.8

- The book then reappeared for sale in September 2013 on Comiclink. Because boardies saw it, I was able to report it to Comiclink before it sold.

- We still don't know who has the book.

I too have not read this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

If i remember correctly, PSA/DNA has invisible ink. CGC could use that to barcode a book.

THEY BETTER NOT.

I don't want them adding chemicals to a book I won.

If I take it out and keep it raw why should they keep their mark on it

If they were to use invisible UV ink to "tattoo" the book in an inconspicuous area inside the book what difference would it make to you? Just means that if someone were to resubmit the book for grading it would come up in the CGC system as a book that had already been graded.

At least the customer could be notified that the book had previously been graded. I'm sure there are other logical advantages that could come of this!

That the book was previously means squat.

The person breaks it out for SS or mishandles it. IT results in new grade. The tattoo will accomplish nothing except add chemicals to a book that is sensitive to chemicals

Are there any real collectors left out there ? Someone who buys a book and actually keeps it ?

:hi:

:hi::hi:

:hi::hi::hi:

:hi::hi::hi::hi:

:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi: I hate to sell books and only do so on rare occasions...ask a few of my boardie friends, they make fun of me because of my attachments. lol

:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi::hi:

(thumbs u to everyone ! It's nice to know collectors still exist.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

If i remember correctly, PSA/DNA has invisible ink. CGC could use that to barcode a book.

THEY BETTER NOT.

If they were to use invisible UV ink to "tattoo" the book in an inconspicuous area inside the book what difference would it make to you? Just means that if someone were to resubmit the book for grading it would come up in the CGC system as a book that had already been graded.

At least the customer could be notified that the book had previously been graded. I'm sure there are other logical advantages that could come of this!

The person breaks it out for SS or mishandles it. IT results in new grade. The tattoo will accomplish nothing except add chemicals to a book that is sensitive to chemicals

So tell me why someone would break it out of a holder, mis-handle it and then submit it to expect a higher grade??????????????????????

Are there any real collectors left out there ? Someone who buys a book and actually keeps it ?

:hi::hi::hi::hi::hi: I hate to sell books and only do so on rare occasions...ask a few of my boardie friends, they make fun of me because of my attachments. lol

Not really, we're just phantoms from Dimension X.

I'd be very surprised if CGC eats a 5-6k book.

Wouldn't be the first time.

There's a thread around here somewhere where a 3rd print TMNT 1 was mislabeled and sold as a 9.8 1st print.

Ha ha this always comes up. That was PGX and may have been some sort of scam.

run this number in the certification look up 1042260008 no hit yet there is a picture of it on Pedigree in a CGC holder This is not about that youtube video

Dang that book is CURSED

THEY BETTER NOT.

So tell me why someone would break it out of a holder, mis-handle it and then submit it to expect a higher grade??????????????????????

Bizarro World maybe?

Hey, I've been told I have a second print of a Cherry Poptar #1 that is not on the CGC label. Does CGC owe me money ?!?

This is what this kind of thread attracts. All sorts of characters that will now expect reimbursement from CGC.

http://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=15761&GSub=895

Hey, I've been told I have a second print of a Cherry Poptar #1 that is not on the CGC label. Does CGC owe me money ?!?

This is what this kind of thread attracts. All sorts of characters that will now expect reimbursement from CGC.

Someone bought a slabbed Albedo #0 second print for $400...as a first print.

That person got screwed. The book clearly states it is a second printing...in big block letters, too. It's just not on the inside front cover or first page.

The "burn it" comment, might be the most absurd posting EVER on this forum. A JIM #83, that almost anyone and everyone who collects, would be happy to have in their collection. Or for later resale. Whom among us would not?

I suspect the originator of that statement, regrets he made it. Hence his "bow out".

Now, back to the more common sense opinions and thoughts.

If the book IS trimmed. Then steps can be taken to make whole those involved by CGC's misstep. If the book is NOT trimmed. Then steps can be taken to make whole Spider Dan.

But if CGC can not authoritatively state the book is trimmed or not trimmed. Then it should be considered to not be trimmed, and we are back to making Spider Dan whole ON THE DIFFERENCE between what he may have gotten for it being sold in a blue label, and what he actually sold it for in a purple label. That would be a phone call barter situation, since a selling price is not written in stone, for any book.

Cost of doing business, for CGC.

And of course. Steps to amend how CGC checks for trimming and how accurate their checks are estimated to be, should be promulgated to the hobby. We don't expect perfection. But we do expect reassessment and change in procedure and expectation, when appropriate.

Just like tape on a book, or pressing. Companies have to adjust with the times.

Edited by conditionfreak

Cherry Poptart.. :cloud9: One of the few undergrounds/adult books I own

THEY BETTER NOT.

Bizarro World maybe?

Yeah, ya think?

I sell books. But I only sell books I bought to sell, or were incidental in large collections I purchased. I do not sell books I bought for my personal collection.

I am a collector. Not a flipper. But every purchase I make, I do with the hope of future increased value.

As I suspect 95% of us do.

But if CGC can not authoritatively state the book is trimmed or not trimmed. Then it should be considered to not be trimmed, and we are back to making Spider Dan whole ON THE DIFFERENCE between what he may have gotten for it being sold in a blue label, and what he actually sold it for in a purple label. That would be a phone call barter situation, since a selling price is not written in stone, for any book.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

THEY BETTER NOT.

They might resub after SS

They might break it open to read for their own collection and decide to reesub knowing it will get a lower grade. Is CGC supposed to re-Tattoo a book each time it comes in?

THEY BETTER NOT.

They might resub after SS

They might break it open to read for their own collection and decide to reesub knowing it will get a lower grade. Is CGC supposed to re-Tattoo a book each time it comes in?

+1 Tattooing a book is pointless. Especially if you are a SS freak and keep breaking it out to have more names put on.