• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

My guess is that the current owner will be asked to resubmit this book for free, and it will be given a purple label. Since he (or she) will not actually lose money because he bought it with a purple label on it. With CGC giving a mea culpa, stating they just got it wrong when they gave it a blue label. And that things will be "tightened up" in regards to trimming, etc.

How do you reconcile the fact that Spider-Dan may have taken a loss on the book, after the resolution reached with CGC likely hinged on him eating purple and liking it, plus whatever amount he netted selling it as purple?

And what about the grading costs, and lost opportunity costs to the submitter? Does seem a bit overreaching to expect everyone will play nice, especially when CGC wasn't willing to budge on their position it was purple, nor were they initially even willing to compensate Spider-Dan when this situation was originally publicly aired.

I see your suggestion as being a little too clean-cut, and highly contingent on the cooperation of two injured parties, which is minimized to one if the current owner tells CGC to take a hike, but whose financial injury and lost opportunity costs should still be acknowledged and restituted well before we can return to any discussion about CGC's reputation recovering from this.

Spider Dan lost because the book was given a purple label. End of story on that. It has happened to many, that a second (or third) grade, was not what a submitter was hoping for.

Fees lost to the latest submitter were his lottery ticket purchase. He won, but it may turn into a loss, if CGC goes the way I think they will.

If he returns it per their request(not that they have requested he do so). That is just how I believe this thing HAS to shake out. I see no other options that are realistic.

Unless we are all being pranked, given that April Fools day is arriving soon.

If that is the case, then kudos to those involved. :roflmao: But I seriously doubt that is the case.

The OP hasn't told us who bought the book, which means Gene Simmons must be the buyer, and the graders at CGC must be huge KISS fans.

That or Chris Hemsworth is the buyer and resubmitted it, and the graders thought"he is the real Thor" so they gave him a better grade and they are a fan of his too..

Nah. Hemsworth would have gotten the blue AND the 7. ;)

:fear:lol..

Chuck Norris would have gotten an 11. And the whole slab would be blue.

jwayne_zpsecb65a3e.jpg

And Lo' A Meme Is Ended

I've never posted here before but I had to weigh in. The person who bought the book (not me) is aware of this thread. That person is not "in" with anyone at CGC, so they did not buy the blue label. There is no conspiracy. CGC screwed up, plain and simple. The buyer did not believe the book to be trimmed so they resubbed and here you have it. A blue label. The solution is NOT for the book to be returned so it can be purple labeled. CGC should pay Spider Dan FMV for their screw up. The buyer and seller should not be the ones punished for a professional grading company's mistake.

I've never posted here before but I had to weigh in. The person who bought the book (not me) is aware of this thread. That person is not "in" with anyone at CGC, so they did not buy the blue label. There is no conspiracy. CGC screwed up, plain and simple. The buyer did not believe the book to be trimmed so they resubbed and here you have it. A blue label. The solution is NOT for the book to be returned so it can be purple labeled. CGC should pay Spider Dan FMV for their screw up. The buyer and seller should not be the ones punished for a professional grading company's mistake.

Pretty much what I've been saying and far more realistic sounding to me. In fairness, let's see how CGC addresses it.

I imagine it takes them longer than one minute. Even on a book with no flaws.

By the time you remove the book from the bag, and flip through the pages (gently, I'm assuming) to make sure they're all there and not torn/ripped/pieces missing/drawn on/indented/etc...you've probably hit the minute mark already.

You still have to look at the cover, make notes, assess the damage, assign a grade, return it to the bag, etc...

It definitely takes longer than a minute.

A rough calculation based on the numbers I've seen, and making broad assumptions about work hours/days, is that CGC has graded approximately 100 books an hour since they've opened. Divide that by the average number of graders they've employed and you probably have a rough idea of how much time is spent per book.

I would imagine high grade moderns get less scrutiny ( especially with pre-screening) than do mid-grade Silver.

Since you are apparently acting as a surrogate for the new owner and submitter please tell him the right thing to do is to speak up for himself. If he didn't want all this drama he should have kept quiet. He screwed up. I think he should send the book back to CGC for an evaluation.

Edited by bomber-bob

Say what you want about Steve (who I personally like both as a person and as a hobby steward) but this situation would have had a response by him 10 pages int this thread at most, regardless of whether they were at a show or not. We might have liked his response any better now or then given the circumstance, but he was far more effective at reconciling the communities expectations on corrective action/measures than the current members entrusted in the role of CGC governance.

You have never posted here before? Under any screen name?

How is the solution, that a book that may actually be trimmed, is left in a blue slab? Isn't this just passing the buck to the next buyer?

CGC needs to take it off the market. Retire it. Take a write down. They can call the act of owning up to responsibly paying to have this book removed from circulation whatever they want.

End of day, they bought the book.

It would have been much easier (and cheaper) if they did this the first time, because now they need to pay FMV for a blue 6.0 to two people, and in return they get to keep a 7.0 restored JIM 83.

How is the solution, that a book that may actually be trimmed, is left in a blue slab? Isn't this just passing the buck to the next buyer?

CGC needs to take it off the market. Retire it. Take a write down. They can call the act of owning up to responsibly paying to have this book removed from circulation whatever they want.

It would have been much easier (and cheaper) if they did this the first time, because now they need to pay FMV for a blue 6.0 to two people, and in return they get to keep a 7.0 restored JIM 83.

Why should the new owner get compensated for a Blue 6.0 ? He gamed the system, he should not be awarded anything. I like the idea of taking it off the market but I'm not sure how that gets implemented.

Why? What if the book is fine? They can't even make up their mind if its trimmed or not.

I'd be very surprised if CGC eats a 5-6k book.

I find this post hilarious considering the amount of people who jump all over PGX here :) The perceived as infallible CGC can make huge mistakes too it seems.

Why should the new owner get compensated for a Blue 6.0 ? He gamed the system, he should not be awarded anything. I like the idea of taking it off the market but I'm not sure how that gets implemented.

I also believe CGC should remove the book from the market. Finding the current owner isn't a problem. As for FMV, that's between CGC and the current owner.

If the current owner won't cooperate, remove the serial number from the census, effectively voiding the grade. Then offer to purchase the book from the owner and upon receipt, burn it. This book needs to be destroyed.

I also concur that Dan probably deserves some form of compensation but then again, I never saw him once sending them extra $$ when books upgraded and he pocketed thousands of dollars from said upgrades.

I've even talked to graders a few days or a few weeks after grading a book and they have no idea which book I'm talking about.

I'd liken it to working in a grocery store and trying to remember what all the people looked like last week. The odd person might jog your memory if they looked like an Action #1 but for the most part, it's a blur.

I'm curious how long some posters think CGC graders spend on a book. 12 seconds? 20?

Some of the posts seem like they imagine Graders do extensive CSI type investigative exams.

I'd think it depends on the book. I'd venture a guess and say 30-60 seconds. Some more, some less depending on era, grade, resto, etc.

I hope they are well paid for that one minutes work.

I don't understand your point. Do you think it should take more than a minute to count the pages and grade a comic?

Could you see them spending 5 minutes per book and charging everyone $500 a moderm?

How long does the average dealer take to grade a comic? It takes me about a minute give or take.

Anybody else take less or more time?

The sly move to expose this screw-up was a shrewd one by the buyer ( if indeed the buyer is interested in moving the book). If CGC ends up feeling obligated to make "right" the situation, the buyer could well end up receiving FMV for a 6.0 blue on a tainted book that would have a good possibility of being exposed if it came up for sale in an auction venue. If not, they've pre-empted the potential for backlash if and when it is sold, with the realization that someone out there will pay more for a 6.0 Blue than a 7.0 PLOD, even if they know it's history.