• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Yes it does. Basically, you can time the actual day of grading by using the Walkthru = they grade it the day it's received, or the next day. In this case it is suspicious the submitter gamed the system by submitting it on a day the whole crew was out of town. Very relevant.

This book needs to be sent back to CGC for inspection. Otherwise, how can CGC respond to any of this. I've talked to some people, outside of the Boards, and the one common response is why did the submitter flaunt this?

I'm still in the camp that CGC got played.

Whose fault is that? If didnt have enough manpower on sight then thats a screwup on their part. The owner of the book is under no legal obligation to send the book back to help CGC cover up their mistake.. CGC has to survive the brunt of this on their own.

For those of us busy with work and taking a 5 minute break, has CGC responded to this issue yet?

We were told the only two people who can give an authorized statement are out of the office today. A response of sorts. We were also told by a friend of the submitter that they were aware of this thread but didn't see a need to comment here. I'm dubious of the second response.

Edited by shadroch

Yes it does. Basically, you can time the actual day of grading by using the Walkthru = they grade it the day it's received, or the next day. In this case it is suspicious the submitter gamed the system by submitting it on a day the whole crew was out of town. Very relevant.

This book needs to be sent back to CGC for inspection. Otherwise, how can CGC respond to any of this. I've talked to some people, outside of the Boards, and the one common response is why did the submitter flaunt this?

Whose fault is that? If didnt have enough manpower on sight then thats a screwup on their part. The owner of the book is under no legal obligation to send the book back to help CGC cover up their mistake.. CGC has to survive the brunt of this on their own.

Can someone post a full schedule of when CGC will be doing on-site grading?

:wishluck:

Hey all,

As was mentioned previously in the thread, the matter is being investigated even as we speak.

As far as announcing anything here on the boards currently, the only two people authorized to do that are Paul or Harshen. Paul is currently flying back from Seattle and Harshen had scheduled the day off to to attend to his fathers surgery today.

Rest assured, once we have a better idea as to the facts involved, we'll make a statement here on the boards.

Kill the messenger!!!!!!!!!!!

For those of us busy with work and taking a 5 minute break, has CGC responded to this issue yet?

We were told the only two people who can give an authorized statement are out of the office today. A response of sorts. We were also told by a friend of the submitter that they were aware of this thread but didn't see a need to comment here. I'm dubious of the second response.

If they don't make a statement before noon tomorrow then I think I'll have lost a TON of confidence. They can have the day and the excuse, but the issue HAS to be addressed. Even if it is an admittance of guilt.

Hey all,

As was mentioned previously in the thread, the matter is being investigated even as we speak.

As far as announcing anything here on the boards currently, the only two people authorized to do that are Paul or Harshen. Paul is currently flying back from Seattle and Harshen had scheduled the day off to to attend to his fathers surgery today.

Rest assured, once we have a better idea as to the facts involved, we'll make a statement here on the boards.

Kill the messenger!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for brining the quote back up (thumbs u

So just out of curiousity. Now that you "have lost ALL confidence in CGC graded books"; you will stop buying them, resubbing them and reselling them, correct?

So just out of curiousity. Now that you "have lost ALL confidence in CGC graded books"; you will stop buying them, resubbing them and reselling them, correct?

:popcorn:

CGC is NOT as consistent as everyone thinks they are.

Maybe you ought to speak for yourself. Plenty of threads have had plenty of posters raise issues surrounding the inconsistency of the numerical grade, the page quality grade, and the label color.

I don't think the buyer did anything but get lucky. Would you send it back Bob? I wouldn't. Buyer isn't flaunting anything.

He's actually being very humble about the whole thing. He didn't do anything other than to LMK that I was right when I originally started this thread, in that CGC is NOT as consistent as everyone thinks they are.

Well, they were consistent when they graded it blue, twice. (shrug)

Consistent = 3 for 3 (thumbs u

Hey, 1 for 3 gets you into the HOF! lol

Why would you send the book back to CGC for inspection?

Send the book to an unbiased resto expert to find out if it's actually trimmed or not.

Saying CGC got played about this , has to be the dumbest thing I have read on these boards ever .

This thread is probably winning as far as the amount of dumb contained in one thread.

Bob's post was not even the dumbest thing posted in this thread.

Send the book to an unbiased resto expert to find out if it's actually trimmed or not.

I wouldn't send it back. Who knows what shenanigans might go on.

As for possible trimming, have some others with JIM 83s measure theirs. See what the spread is. I will do so with both of mine. Guaranteed not trimmed.

Who would be considered unbiased?

As for possible trimming, have some others with JIM 83s measure theirs. See what the spread is. I will do so with both of mine. Guaranteed not trimmed.

If I remember right, the printing process when these books were manufactured varied widely as did the dimensions from each batch of books. Not by inches but enough that measuring isn't remotely reliable.

This whole thread makes me want to barf. :sick:

vomit-smiley-007.gif

This whole hobby is making me sick.

It isn't the hobby.

It is the people in the hobby, including many that frequent these boards.

If I were a high grade collector, I would be looking for something else to fill my collecting jones.

Why isolate to high grade collectors? The book being talked about in this very thread is not high grade. You think that because you collect low/mid grade, you are exempt from the sheisters in this hobby? Good luck with that.

I too have not read this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

If i remember correctly, PSA/DNA has invisible ink. CGC could use that to barcode a book.

THEY BETTER NOT.

I don't want them adding chemicals to a book I won.

If I take it out and keep it raw why should they keep their mark on it

If they were to use invisible UV ink to "tattoo" the book in an inconspicuous area inside the book what difference would it make to you? Just means that if someone were to resubmit the book for grading it would come up in the CGC system as a book that had already been graded.

At least the customer could be notified that the book had previously been graded. I'm sure there are other logical advantages that could come of this!

That the book was previously means squat.

The person breaks it out for SS or mishandles it. IT results in new grade. The tattoo will accomplish nothing except add chemicals to a book that is sensitive to chemicals

So tell me why someone would break it out of a holder, mis-handle it and then submit it to expect a higher grade??????????????????????

They might resub after SS

They might break it open to read for their own collection and decide to reesub knowing it will get a lower grade. Is CGC supposed to re-Tattoo a book each time it comes in?

+1 Tattooing a book is pointless. Especially if you are a SS freak and keep breaking it out to have more names put on.

I once had a book I crack Multiple times and Had 9 sigs on it

The book would only be tagged with invisible ink once. Then cgc could document its history linked to that serial number. Would actually be able to track the provenance.

My comment was meant to ridicule the idea that sending the book back to CGC could possibly resolve anything.