• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Yes it does. Basically, you can time the actual day of grading by using the Walkthru = they grade it the day it's received, or the next day. In this case it is suspicious the submitter gamed the system by submitting it on a day the whole crew was out of town. Very relevant.

This book needs to be sent back to CGC for inspection. Otherwise, how can CGC respond to any of this. I've talked to some people, outside of the Boards, and the one common response is why did the submitter flaunt this?

I'm still in the camp that CGC got played.

Why would you send the book back to CGC for inspection?

Send the book to an unbiased resto expert to find out if it's actually trimmed or not.

I wouldn't send it back. Who knows what shenanigans might go on.

As for possible trimming, have some others with JIM 83s measure theirs. See what the spread is. I will do so with both of mine. Guaranteed not trimmed.

This might help, but it won't be conclusive.

If a book is trimmed and still measures within the spread, there are other indicators to determine trimming.

For those of us busy with work and taking a 5 minute break, has CGC responded to this issue yet?

We were told the only two people who can give an authorized statement are out of the office today. A response of sorts. We were also told by a friend of the submitter that they were aware of this thread but didn't see a need to comment here. I'm dubious of the second response.

The Wheels are in Motion!!

Yes it does. Basically, you can time the actual day of grading by using the Walkthru = they grade it the day it's received, or the next day. In this case it is suspicious the submitter gamed the system by submitting it on a day the whole crew was out of town. Very relevant.

This book needs to be sent back to CGC for inspection. Otherwise, how can CGC respond to any of this. I've talked to some people, outside of the Boards, and the one common response is why did the submitter flaunt this?

Send the book to an unbiased resto expert to find out if it's actually trimmed or not.

As for possible trimming, have some others with JIM 83s measure theirs. See what the spread is. I will do so with both of mine. Guaranteed not trimmed.

If I remember right, the printing process when these books were manufactured varied widely as did the dimensions from each batch of books. Not by inches but enough that measuring isn't remotely reliable.

Yeah, but if we can see what the spread is, we can at least know if the "offending" book is in the ballpark.

My 2 are:

10 1/4

10 3 and 1/2 /16

Measured dead center FC.

Saying CGC got played about this , has to be the dumbest thing I have read on these boards ever .

This thread is probably winning as far as the amount of dumb contained in one thread.

Now that you're here, I must unfortunately agree.

Not because you're here, mind...that was just unfortunate phrasing on my part....

:whistle:

I imagine it takes them longer than one minute. Even on a book with no flaws.

By the time you remove the book from the bag, and flip through the pages (gently, I'm assuming) to make sure they're all there and not torn/ripped/pieces missing/drawn on/indented/etc...you've probably hit the minute mark already.

You still have to look at the cover, make notes, assess the damage, assign a grade, return it to the bag, etc...

It definitely takes longer than a minute.

I'd be surprised if they even opened modern books during the grading process.

There have been several examples of people submitting modern books with interior defects just to see if CGC caught them - they did :gossip:

This whole thread makes me want to barf. :sick:

vomit-smiley-007.gif

This whole hobby is making me sick.

It isn't the hobby.

It is the people in the hobby, including many that frequent these boards.

If I were a high grade collector, I would be looking for something else to fill my collecting jones.

Why isolate to high grade collectors? The book being talked about in this very thread is not high grade. You think that because you collect low/mid grade, you are exempt from the sheisters in this hobby? Good luck with that.

Then add high dollar to my statement. It is more prevalent in the high grade area as that is where the most money is to be made.

My comment was meant to ridicule the idea that sending the book back to CGC could possibly resolve anything.

I completely agree with you.

This might help, but it won't be conclusive.

If a book is trimmed and still measures within the spread, there are other indicators to determine trimming.

I know, but nothing else we can do from behind are 'puters. Just trying to be proactive.

I imagine it takes them longer than one minute. Even on a book with no flaws.

By the time you remove the book from the bag, and flip through the pages (gently, I'm assuming) to make sure they're all there and not torn/ripped/pieces missing/drawn on/indented/etc...you've probably hit the minute mark already.

You still have to look at the cover, make notes, assess the damage, assign a grade, return it to the bag, etc...

It definitely takes longer than a minute.

I'd be surprised if they even opened modern books during the grading process.

There have been several examples of people submitting modern books with interior defects just to see if CGC caught them - they did :gossip:

Good to know. Appreciate the 411:foryou:

If the graders the CGC leave behind when they go to shows can't accurately grade a book on a walkthrough, then perhaps they shouldn't accept a book for walkthrough service until the "knowledgeable" graders get home.

Is that what you're saying?

With a schedule 3-6 months ahead of time listing when the "knowledgeable" graders will be away and those dates blacked out as unavailable for walk-thru (shrug)

If I remember right, the printing process when these books were manufactured varied widely as did the dimensions from each batch of books. Not by inches but enough that measuring isn't remotely reliable.

Yeah, but if we can see what the spread is, we can at least know if the "offending" book is in the ballpark.

My 2 are:

10 1/4

10 3 and 1/2 /16

Measured dead center FC.

They aren't trimming off 1/2". I would assume* the amount of material being trimmed on books is around a 1/16 of an inch or smaller.

*Bolded,underlined,etc before anyone decides to quote me as stating fact.

Totally unrelated aside, isn't it weird when you discover, out of the blue, that someone has you on ignore that you never had any interaction with, ever...?

Not Park. He could never ignore me.

:cloud9:

Didn't realize there's an ignore on here.

Cowards...

Saying CGC got played about this , has to be the dumbest thing I have read on these boards ever .

This thread is probably winning as far as the amount of dumb contained in one thread.

Not because you're here, mind...that was just unfortunate phrasing on my part....

5807dd1d.gif

5807dd1d.gif

Pass the BBQ sauce. This one's tough and leathery.

Totally unrelated aside, isn't it weird when you discover, out of the blue, that someone has you on ignore that you never had any interaction with, ever...?

Not Park. He could never ignore me.

:cloud9:

There is a drawing each month to see who has to take you off ignore. I have lost the last 27 months in a row. I am beginning think something may be amiss.

My 2 are:

10 1/4

10 3 and 1/2 /16

Measured dead center FC.

They aren't trimming off 1/2". I would assume* the amount of material being trimmed on books is around a 1/16 of an inch or smaller.

*Bolded,underlined,etc before anyone decides to quote me as stating fact.

That would depend on the size of the flaw they were attempting to remove. Like I said, can't hurt.

Just need the current owner to measure. S-D can get that for us I'd imagine.

Whose fault is that? If didnt have enough manpower on sight then thats a screwup on their part. The owner of the book is under no legal obligation to send the book back to help CGC cover up their mistake.. CGC has to survive the brunt of this on their own.

Can someone post a full schedule of when CGC will be doing on-site grading?

:wishluck:

So just out of curiousity. Now that you "have lost ALL confidence in CGC graded books"; you will stop buying them, resubbing them and reselling them, correct?

Incorrect. Until a better company comes along.......