• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Totally unrelated aside, isn't it weird when you discover, out of the blue, that someone has you on ignore that you never had any interaction with, ever...?

Not Park. He could never ignore me.

:cloud9:

There is a drawing each month to see who has to take you off ignore. I have lost the last 27 months in a row. I am beginning think something may be amiss.

The real losers are the ones that use the ignore function in the first place.

CGC is NOT as consistent as everyone thinks they are.

Maybe you ought to speak for yourself. Plenty of threads have had plenty of posters raise issues surrounding the inconsistency of the numerical grade, the page quality grade, and the label color.

I wont speak for you or I'll end up having to defend myself at The Water Cooler

Totally unrelated aside, isn't it weird when you discover, out of the blue, that someone has you on ignore that you never had any interaction with, ever...?

There is a drawing each month to see who has to take you off ignore. I have lost the last 27 months in a row. I am beginning think something may be amiss.

hm

I might disagree with that, in certain cases.

Yes it does. Basically, you can time the actual day of grading by using the Walkthru = they grade it the day it's received, or the next day. In this case it is suspicious the submitter gamed the system by submitting it on a day the whole crew was out of town. Very relevant.

This book needs to be sent back to CGC for inspection. Otherwise, how can CGC respond to any of this. I've talked to some people, outside of the Boards, and the one common response is why did the submitter flaunt this?

I'm still in the camp that CGC got played.

Saying CGC got played about this , has to be the dumbest thing I have read on these boards ever .

This thread is probably winning as far as the amount of dumb contained in one thread.

Bob's post was not even the dumbest thing posted in this thread.

Maybe you didn't read this whole thread. It was discussed, with verification from our own Joeypost, that a trimmed edge can be roughed up to hide the trim. To verify something like this did or did not happen, CGC would need to see the book again in hand. If it was tampered with, and deliberately sent in on a low staff day, how is this not being played?

Yes it does. Basically, you can time the actual day of grading by using the Walkthru = they grade it the day it's received, or the next day. In this case it is suspicious the submitter gamed the system by submitting it on a day the whole crew was out of town. Very relevant.

This book needs to be sent back to CGC for inspection. Otherwise, how can CGC respond to any of this. I've talked to some people, outside of the Boards, and the one common response is why did the submitter flaunt this?

Whose fault is that? If didnt have enough manpower on sight then thats a screwup on their part. The owner of the book is under no legal obligation to send the book back to help CGC cover up their mistake.. CGC has to survive the brunt of this on their own.

Can someone post a full schedule of when CGC will be doing on-site grading?

:wishluck:

So just out of curiousity. Now that you "have lost ALL confidence in CGC graded books"; you will stop buying them, resubbing them and reselling them, correct?

Incorrect. Until a better company comes along.......

I'm shocked... shocked I tell ya :eyeroll:

I can't quit you

I too have not read this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

If i remember correctly, PSA/DNA has invisible ink. CGC could use that to barcode a book.

THEY BETTER NOT.

I don't want them adding chemicals to a book I won.

If I take it out and keep it raw why should they keep their mark on it

If they were to use invisible UV ink to "tattoo" the book in an inconspicuous area inside the book what difference would it make to you? Just means that if someone were to resubmit the book for grading it would come up in the CGC system as a book that had already been graded.

At least the customer could be notified that the book had previously been graded. I'm sure there are other logical advantages that could come of this!

That the book was previously means squat.

The person breaks it out for SS or mishandles it. IT results in new grade. The tattoo will accomplish nothing except add chemicals to a book that is sensitive to chemicals

So tell me why someone would break it out of a holder, mis-handle it and then submit it to expect a higher grade??????????????????????

They might resub after SS

They might break it open to read for their own collection and decide to reesub knowing it will get a lower grade. Is CGC supposed to re-Tattoo a book each time it comes in?

+1 Tattooing a book is pointless. Especially if you are a SS freak and keep breaking it out to have more names put on.

I once had a book I crack Multiple times and Had 9 sigs on it

The book would only be tagged with invisible ink once. Then cgc could document its history linked to that serial number. Would actually be able to track the provenance.

:idea:

RFID

I don't think the buyer did anything but get lucky. Would you send it back Bob? I wouldn't. Buyer isn't flaunting anything.

He's actually being very humble about the whole thing. He didn't do anything other than to LMK that I was right when I originally started this thread, in that CGC is NOT as consistent as everyone thinks they are.

Well, they were consistent when they graded it blue, twice. (shrug)

Consistent = 3 for 3 (thumbs u

Hey, 1 for 3 gets you into the HOF! lol

Unless your Pete Rose :ohnoez:

666 replies! :fear:

Well...

My major problem is how the hell did that book get a 7.0 (when in it's PLOD state) with that big honking crease going down most of the spine?

PLOD isn't suppose to be a grade bump is it?

My best guess is that it was a 6.0 blue all along and the PLOD was a mistake both in grade and trimming detection.

@ Marvel Zombie

Isnt the restoe check the gold standard that's supposed to distinguish CGC from PGX ...?

Trimming isn't restoration, it's damage.

That's why it's the hardest thing to detect, unless it's a hack job a blind man could see.

I too have not read this entire thread but I get the jist of it.

Would it be more conducive to discretely "tattoo" the interior of the book with the CGC number to prevent this kind of fiasco? I think it would certainly prevent the books from going through the resubmittal and screwing up the census.

If i remember correctly, PSA/DNA has invisible ink. CGC could use that to barcode a book.

THEY BETTER NOT.

I don't want them adding chemicals to a book I won.

If I take it out and keep it raw why should they keep their mark on it

If they were to use invisible UV ink to "tattoo" the book in an inconspicuous area inside the book what difference would it make to you? Just means that if someone were to resubmit the book for grading it would come up in the CGC system as a book that had already been graded.

At least the customer could be notified that the book had previously been graded. I'm sure there are other logical advantages that could come of this!

That the book was previously means squat.

The person breaks it out for SS or mishandles it. IT results in new grade. The tattoo will accomplish nothing except add chemicals to a book that is sensitive to chemicals

So tell me why someone would break it out of a holder, mis-handle it and then submit it to expect a higher grade??????????????????????

They might resub after SS

They might break it open to read for their own collection and decide to reesub knowing it will get a lower grade. Is CGC supposed to re-Tattoo a book each time it comes in?

+1 Tattooing a book is pointless. Especially if you are a SS freak and keep breaking it out to have more names put on.

I once had a book I crack Multiple times and Had 9 sigs on it

The book would only be tagged with invisible ink once. Then cgc could document its history linked to that serial number. Would actually be able to track the provenance.

A Little water and the key could be reased

Consider me a loser.

Saying CGC got played about this , has to be the dumbest thing I have read on these boards ever .

This thread is probably winning as far as the amount of dumb contained in one thread.

Bob's post was not even the dumbest thing posted in this thread.

Maybe you didn't read this whole thread. It was discussed, with verification from our own Joeypost, that a trimmed edge can be roughed up to hide the trim. To verify something like this did or did not happen, CGC would need to see the book again in hand. If it was tampered with, and deliberately sent in on a low staff day, how is this not being played?

I don't think your post was dumb Bob. :foryou: Lots and lots of other posts in here are mind numbingly dumb.

I don't disagree with you that the submitter of this book could have done several things to alter the book before submission. It is absolutely possible.

The chance of a reasonable discussion happening in CG are almost non existent. Whoever yells louder and has more sycophants usually wins.

Since I got Joey here, I will repost my comment. Joey, do you think my statement that CGC needs to see the book again is the 'dumbest post ever'.

It was discussed, with verification from our own Joeypost, that a trimmed edge can be roughed up to hide the trim. To verify something like this did or did not happen, CGC would need to see the book again in hand. If it was tampered with, and deliberately sent in on a low staff day, how is this not being played?

I have a serious question for everyone.

Suppose a legitimate competitor pops up tomorrow. Someone the hobby believes in with real backing.

Will those here pay more for books in those holders?

Will you frequent the sites that carry them primarily?

Will you immediately send your books in for grading at the new service?

What if your books will sell for less in a new company's holder?

What if the transparency were no greater at the new company?

Would people be willing to sell their books for less short term to help support the credibility of the new company?

Curious to hear people's responses

There is so much entertainment value to be found amongst the crazy in this place but I can only mock so many.

Suppose a legitimate competitor pops up tomorrow. Someone the hobby believes in with real backing.

Would people be willing to sell their books for less short term to help support the credibility of the new company?

NO, nada, no way. Seriously.

Edited by bomber-bob

Since I got Joey here, I will repost my comment. Joey, do you think my statement that CGC needs to see the book again is the 'dumbest post ever'.

It was discussed, with verification from our own Joeypost, that a trimmed edge can be roughed up to hide the trim. To verify something like this did or did not happen, CGC would need to see the book again in hand. If it was tampered with, and deliberately sent in on a low staff day, how is this not being played?

Tampered with is absolutely being played but other than a confession,I don't know how this would be proven.

A low staff day is a CGC issue and if it really is an issue, then they need better trained graders. That one would be on them.

Didn't PSA have a monopoly on card grading at one time hm