• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Club/Meetup
1 1

28 posts in this topic

I tried searching the boards and did not find any specific information about this topic. I did find where Keysnruns is doing a quarterly investment meetup in Atlanta.

A couple of us in Tallahassee FL are starting a group to talk about comics. We created a Facebook group page and we plan on meeting once a month at a local restaurant. Based on just the 7 people currently in the group it looks like we are going to have a wide range of comic book interests represented.

I have secured the group a table at Alt*Con, a local convention that caters to a lot of different geeky genres, to pass out flyers and generate interest in the club. Last year they had several thousand attendees.

Has or is anyone currently on the board participating in a monthly meet up to talk about comics? Any advice on how to conduct the get together? Have an agenda or just let everyone break into groups so they can talk about their specific areas of interest? We will meet for the first time in a few weeks after the convention.

Tallahassee Comic Book Club

I'm starting a club where people meet to discuss their most valuable comics. They bring in the old comics so we can discuss em. Meeting is in an old abandoned warehouse.

I tried searching the boards and did not find any specific information about this topic. I did find where Keysnruns is doing a quarterly investment meetup in Atlanta.

Suggest you go into your first meeting with your vision as a written agenda, but make a point to get group feedback to know how to adjust for subsequent meetings.

Also suggest you do most activities in your first meeting as a single group to build comfort with each other. If successful, you will need cooperating volunteers.

GLWTG!

Was a member of one in NJ 3 years ago. We meet up once at a comic con in NJ.Talked about comics , some sports etc and had a drink at the bar . Talked about doing it again and some meetup were setup but never did and the group was disbanded. The group was run out of meetup.com . You can check that web site , I see there are comic book groups for different states.

There was a Silver Age club that was run out of a shop on Long island in the mid 1990s. It was pretty kool. You paid $5 per monthly meeting and the shop provided donuts, cake and soda/coffee. There was a discussion period where people would trash Romita in favor of Kirby or tell how Jim Shooters Legion was far superior to post Ditko Spidey, and so on. Best part was the trading. You could bring a few books to trade with the other members. This lasted about a year, but then the shop relocated to a spot further away and the Valiant/Image craze started and SA books were in the toilet so the club pretty much imploded.

Suggest you go into your first meeting with your vision as a written agenda, but make a point to get group feedback to know how to adjust for subsequent meetings.

Also suggest you do most activities in your first meeting as a single group to build comfort with each other. If successful, you will need cooperating volunteers.

GLWTG!

Is this a serious post?

Edited by mrmyst

I thought about this once, but then I just decided if you want to talk about comics, you just need to go to the local comic shop and make friends. There's 9 or 10 stores in my metro area so it's easy to do, but you might not have as many by you....

I've seen some "graphic novel" meetup groups here but no idea if they get any turnout..I would think that would be more interesting if you treated it like a bookclub where you had to agree to read certain books then discuss once a month, but you'd need to make sure the books are accessible...

Thanks for the great suggestions.

We have four comic book stores in our area. Two of them are pretty small, one is more of a gaming store and the last one is more of a used book store. I have met a few people there but none of the stores are conducive for hanging out for long periods of time.

One of the things we would like to do is host a small comic book show. Something where the tables are cheap and admission is free or just a couple of dollars.

I was thinking we could do something like Pay it Forward with graphic novels between meetups.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

We have four comic book stores in our area. Two of them are pretty small, one is more of a gaming store and the last one is more of a used book store. I have met a few people there but none of the stores are conducive for hanging out for long periods of time.

One of the things we would like to do is host a small comic book show. Something where the tables are cheap and admission is free or just a couple of dollars.

I was thinking we could do something like Pay it Forward with graphic novels between meetups.

This is exactly what my club is doing in July. Tables 25 dollars each, admission is only 3 dollars.

I think the LCS should have a comic night once a month. Most Card shops I've seen do it. Haven't heard of a comic shop doing one. Think I will pitch that idea to the manager next time I swing in.

Just makes for a real cool time, meet different peeps, buying and trading too.

Edited by CxG Voodoo Doll

Update on the comic book club we started a few weeks ago.

We were pretty successful handing out flyers at the local con Saturday and Sunday and 18 comic collectors have signed up for the club. It was fun to man the booth where the only purpose was to talk about comics. I met a Carl Barks fan and I thought I was the only one locally.

Westy Steve and I held the first comic book club meeting tonight. The meeting was held just 5 days after most of the new members signed up. Ten people showed up tonight.

The whole meeting was a huge success. We gave brief introductions, Steve showed off his Action Comics 252 and talked a little bit about Super Girl, I showed off the Gerber Guides and a Strange Tales 110. Everyone talked about what they were reading, likes and dislikes, and favorite characters and titles. Some of us brought comics and trades for the lending library. I added the Watchmen TP to the library and I brought home the first 6 issues of Mark Waid's Daredevil to read.

Can't wait for the next meeting!

We were pretty successful handing out flyers at the local con Saturday and Sunday and 18 comic collectors have signed up for the club. It was fun to man the booth where the only purpose was to talk about comics. I met a Carl Barks fan and I thought I was the only one locally.

Westy Steve and I held the first comic book club meeting tonight. The meeting was held just 5 days after most of the new members signed up. Ten people showed up tonight.

The whole meeting was a huge success. We gave brief introductions, Steve showed off his Action Comics 252 and talked a little bit about Super Girl, I showed off the Gerber Guides and a Strange Tales 110. Everyone talked about what they were reading, likes and dislikes, and favorite characters and titles. Some of us brought comics and trades for the lending library. I added the Watchmen TP to the library and I brought home the first 6 issues of Mark Waid's Daredevil to read.

Very cool. 10 people sounds like a pretty good turnout considering you just started it up.

Very cool. 10 people sounds like a pretty good turnout considering you just started it up.

Yes, sounds like a very successful start. Taking a table at a local show was a smart move. This was always a solitary hobby for me until I found the boards and met some local collectors. It's certainly changed my approach to the hobby and I'm enjoying it even more.