• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Southern Bastards from Image
2 2

989 posts in this topic

yeah that's what i'm thinking..i ordered 0 Spider-man...I have a feeling if I want one I can get one. Southern bastards on the other hand.....

midtown has them up :baiting:

wasn't there when I checked earlier...guess they put some up. Good week for it to come out if you like stuff being overlooked.

I like the writer so I'm betting he puts out a quality book. The reviews I've read have been great and I like almost everything that was put out by Image last year. East of West, Manifest Destiny, Rat Queens, Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth, A Voice in the Dark, Lazarus, Sex Criminals, Black Science, Ghosted, and the list goes on so I have my :wishluck:

It also caught my interest that it happens to be coming out the same week as Amazing Spider-man #1. I know a lot of guys who purchase a ton of comics and they bet HUGE on Spidey and I like to go against the grain every once in a while. There are only so many comics dollars to go around imo and I'm pretty sure the majority of Spider-man collectors will have at least 5 to 10 covers each. lol

Edited by The Authority

I like the writer so I'm betting he puts out a quality book. The reviews I've read have been great and I like almost everything that was put out by Image last year. East of West, Manifest Destiny, Rat Queens, Todd the Ugliest Kid on Earth, A Voice in the Dark, Lazarus, Sex Criminals, Black Science, Ghosted, and the list goes on so I have my :wishluck:

It also caught my interest that it happens to be coming out the same week as Amazing Spider-man #1. I know a lot of guys who purchase a ton of comics and they bet HUGE on Spidey and I like to go against the grain every once in a while. There are only so many comics dollards to go around imo and I'm pretty sure the majority of Spider-man collectors will have at least 5 to 10 covers each. lol

I hear you on the author-love, I will buy anything that Rucka or Brubaker produces. Using Lazarus as an example, I enjoy the book and its quite good, but it's earlier issues suffer a lot from stereotypes. Stereotypes are a writing crutch, and tend to soften/weaken a books overall quality (comic or otherwise). Lazarus is good, but I feel its stereotypical story aspects are holding it back from crossing over to amazing.

Revival is another example, i still collect it, and enjoy it, but its stereotypes (like this one's appear to be - - quite political in nature) hold it back as well. Rachel Rising is an example of a strong character driven book, that doesnt lean heavily on stereotypes. I'll keep an eye on this one as longer Previews become available, but color me skeptical at this point.

It also caught my interest that it happens to be coming out the same week as Amazing Spider-man #1. I know a lot of guys who purchase a ton of comics and they bet HUGE on Spidey and I like to go against the grain every once in a while. There are only so many comics dollards to go around imo and I'm pretty sure the majority of Spider-man collectors will have at least 5 to 10 covers each. lol

I hear you on the author-love, I will buy anything that Rucka or Brubaker produces. Using Lazarus as an example, I enjoy the book and its quite good, but it's earlier issues suffer a lot from stereotypes. Stereotypes are a writing crutch, and tend to soften/weaken a books overall quality (comic or otherwise). Lazarus is good, but I feel its stereotypical story aspects are holding it back from crossing over to amazing.

Revival is another example, i still collect it, and enjoy it, but its stereotypes (like this one's appear to be - - quite political in nature) hold it back as well. Rachel Rising is an example of a strong character driven book, that doesnt lean heavily on stereotypes. I'll keep an eye on this one as longer Previews become available, but color me skeptical at this point.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I'm just hoping for the best like always. I'll tell you a book that breaks away from typical stereotypes imo, Rat Queens. I expected certain things from this book and I thought I was on it with issue #1 but that book is full of surprises. If you haven't tried it, its worth a shot.

For anyone that's interested Jason Aaron did an almost 2 hour interview on the most recent 11 o'clock comics podcast, episode 312.

There's a lot of talk about this book, his influences, process and also some marvel event book he's working on.

I :luhv: that podcast.

For anyone that's interested Jason Aaron did an almost 2 hour interview on the most recent 11 o'clock comics podcast, episode 312.

There's a lot of talk about this book, his influences, process and also some marvel event book he's working on.

I :luhv: that podcast.

cool

im pretty sure this book is returnable

Well spotted ;)

Retailers whose orders of SOUTHERN BASTARDS #1 meet or exceed 110% of orders, of Velvet #1 AUG130505 will qualify to 100% of your order made fully returnable.

Retailers whose orders of SOUTHERN BASTARDS #2 match or exceed their orders for Southern Bastards #1 will qualify to have their order on this title made fully returnable.

In this instance I can't say what fully returnable will mean i.e. money back or credit, maybe someone else can chime in? ... but either way there is going to be a ton of cover A and subsequently probably a high run on #2. So don't be blown away when Comichron doesn't show as much of an expected dip for #2. Speculation should be absorbed on this one quite nicely if it's a no lose for retailers to speculate on it too. Nice crop of variants to boot. Not mad keen on ordering multiples and expecting to do well with all of those incentives in the primary market (was DCBS discounting cover A as well? never bothered to look), unless everyone is thrown a hail Mary TV show materialising out of nowhere with Krighton falling to his knees praising the name of whatever he believes in :baiting: ... you never know, that could happen, but that is gambling. Who knows maybe publishers will eventually put everything in the TV rumor mill to sell stuff *holds finger against earpiece and listens to voice in head* (what do you mean they probably already do this? are they gonna be brain washing me again with 3D cover hypnosis too?).

Guessing the print run now at North of 55K. Nah... I'm just being an Übercynic right?

I can't say I am not looking forward to the book though. I have my hopes up for this one being a cracking read. Time will tell once we are 5 - 6 issues in, or into double figures. In fact I'm actually looking forward to reading it so much I might quote reply every post in the thread saying it should be a TV show based on the fricking preview (or title and synopsis alone) with "..it will be better than Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad and the Sopranos with grilled cheese in a bun." If the first issue alone is telling you it's going to be a monster hit I might as well chime in and agree and quote reply with "OMG! It's the next Amazing Fantasy #15.... this totally kills Spiderman. Next Walking Dead for sure. GLWTS" :facepalm:

Genuinely genuinely looking forward to it... and I am sprinkling a pinch of salt here* to see if people will calm down a little on the ole pump handle.

*this doesn't mean you have to take me seriously when I am ranting away, the comments are about the marketing and direct sales push and what to expect from the secondary market... not the creators or looking forward to the sweet sweet read ;)

Am I way off on the speculation?

Nah, you're not off. It probably won't do much but I'm going to buy a couple of thousand just in case. :roflmao:

Still, Image is kicking butt. I'm went off the Marvel reservation a month or 2 ago and its freeing up more dollars to try something fresh. I won't say Image is hitting out of the park every time, because they aren't, but they are definitely being more creative than the big 2 imo. Plus, I was born a southerner so I can relate...I hope. lol

I'd rather have 20 of these than 20 of Amazing Spider-man 1.

Not sure the returnable option automatically makes people order a ton of a comic. If they don't think it will sell, why bother.

Gambling on comics is half the fun.

It very well may be, and I still have a few preordered. I don't like that there's numerous covers, I think that may hurt the overall chances of it rising in value. Don't get me wrong though, I'm really looking forward to reading this title more than anything

I think the numerous covers thing is all perception. Manifest Destiny has 3 covers and nobody seems to care. East of West had 3 plus the RRP and again, nobody seemed to bring it up. Black Science had ...well, I can't count that high but it still does well too. I haven't been able to figure out what the breaking point with covers is to this point. ???

I think Amazing Spider-man, GotG, and Uber have all tested the limits. haha

You make some good points, I think for me personally it waters things down a bit. Not going to rehash the age old debate of the pros and cons of variants, but I will say that I am less inclined to buy more than just the regular cover when a title debuts with more than a couple different covers for each issue. It just becomes tedious with more and more titles being released this way.