• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 238 missing tattooz: valuation question

85 posts in this topic

Picked up a nice high grade ASM 238 over the weekend.

Upon further inspection, the tattooz has been removed. I know that it does not affect the grade but do you think the missing tattooz hurts the value?

Curious as to what you guys think? All the 238s I have had all have the tattooz...

Upon further inspection, the tattooz has been removed. I know that it does not affect the grade but do you think the missing tattooz hurts the value?

Curious as to what you guys think? All the 238s I have had all have the tattooz...

Oddly enough...

th_ASM238004_zps455c2cd6.jpg

And yes, the tattoos missing has a pricing impact since it was part of the book when it was distributed.

Silly, I know, but it does. And just exchanging them from another book is not as easy as it sounds. I have a couple of copies of the FF with tattooz present, but they are offset and miscut (a very common occurence). It's in the realm of marrying a cover, and that said, as easily detectable.

I have a copy of 238 and the tattoo is loose . Were they attached in the book?

Yes. If yours is loose, that may be either a production error or someone slid a new tattoo into an example where it had been removed.

This is why the OSPG does not differentiate between copies without the tats - they can readily be replaced. (thumbs u

And potential buyers shouldn't either....but sadly I know they do.

Oddly enough, there are many resellers that charge more for a book because it has a Mark Jeweler insert in it. Yet these have nothing to do with the story content. So if an insert is part of the book's original produced content, naturally collectors are going to expect this in the book when they collect them.

When resellers look to buy an ASM 238 from a collector, I bet most will ask if it still has the tattoos inserted, and adjust their offer if they find out they are missing.

This is why the OSPG does not differentiate between copies without the tats - they can readily be replaced. (thumbs u

Oddly enough, there are many resellers that charge more for a book because it has a Mark Jeweler insert in it. Yet these have nothing to do with the story content. So if an insert is part of the book's original produced content, naturally collectors are going to expect this in the book when they collect them.

When resellers look to buy an ASM 238 from a collector, I bet most will ask if it still has the tattoos inserted, and adjust their offer if they find out they are missing.

I think you're comparing apples and oranges.

Mark Jeweler's inserts were placed in approx.. 5% (I believe) of issues and these were distributed to military bases, etc...

Whereas the tattooz was in every ASM 238. So you cannot say that the MJ issue should be treated the same as a regular issue since they are much less common than an ASM 238 without tattooz.

I believe that many collectors would consider an ASM 238 with the tattooz removed to be incomplete.

Mark Jeweler's inserts were placed in approx.. 5% (I believe) of issues and these were distributed to military bases, etc...

Whereas the tattooz was in every ASM 238. So you cannot say that the MJ issue should be treated the same as a regular issue since they are much less common than an ASM 238 without tattooz.

I believe that many collectors would consider an ASM 238 with the tattooz removed to be incomplete.

From what you to are talking I think it's a somewhat valid comparison in the sense that there is no way of knowing how many 238's still have the original Tattooz in them, attached.

Edited by ygogolak

Oh, I get it about the Jeweler inserts not being in every example of the same book. And yes, they were used to advertise to servicemembers so they could mail order.

But if it has nothing to do with the comic. So does it really matter? The market says yes, as does the market for ASM 238's when the tattoos are missing. One is because of the limited market distribution, and the other has to do with book completeness (as you pointed out). But neither has anything to do with the comic story, or impacts the book if they are present or not.

Oh, I get it about the Jeweler inserts not being in every example of the same book. And yes, they were used to advertise to servicemembers so they could mail order.

But if it has nothing to do with the comic. So does it really matter? The market says yes, as does the market for ASM 238's when the tattoos are missing. One is because of the limited market distribution, and the other has to do with book completeness (as you pointed out). But neither has anything to do with the comic story, or impacts the book if they are present or not.

ok..so we're on the same page (thumbs u