• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

I watched that CFD 1 lot in its final seconds and it jumped from $160 to $250 to $330 in its final two seconds. I tossed a $150 bid at it with an hour or so left and thought I had a chance.

This lot was incredible. I'll post some pics tomorrow as I'm on my way out. However, the editing is pre-production, not pre-reprint production as was advertised. You can tell because the errors don't show up in the first prints. It's got handwritten notes in the margins on what to correct before print. And the kicker is...

The editing pages for issue #1 were not all that were included. The complete editing book for issue #3 (further proof its pre-production, since issue 3 never saw reprint), the last two stories in issue #5 (aids story) and another book that I've not flipped through yet.

:banana:

:applause:

Can't wait to see those!

A few new additions to one of my CFD display cases..

dawn_case_2_zpsef07419f.jpeg

The stained glass box and dream catcher look nice in there. :cloud9:

They arrived! Now, the needle-in-the-haystack-esque task of trying to find the 'C' copy of the Look Sharp remarque for a matching set!

DAWNPINUPGOD_LIMITED_REMARQ_FRONT.jpeg

DARKIVORY00_REMARQ_FRONT.jpeg

Going through some other cool solicitations and other things tonight, getting them scanned and cataloged.

I like Joe's early works from 1988/1989 - I think it's kind of cool to study his work before he hit his stride and became popular. Some of the other pre-Cry For Dawn things I picked up lately were these xerox copies. I was told that he used to take to shows and then he would hand-color and give/sell to fans.

Not high quality reproductions, but pretty cool little bits of Linsner memorabilia! Here's a few, and I have a few others of Storm and Rorschach.

XEROX01_FRONT.jpeg

XEROX02_FRONT.jpeg

XEROX06_FRONT.jpeg

Nice!!! I agree it's pretty interesting to see his early work!

I like Joe's early works from 1988/1989 - I think it's kind of cool to study his work before he hit his stride and became popular. Some of the other pre-Cry For Dawn things I picked up lately were these xerox copies. I was told that he used to take to shows and then he would hand-color and give/sell to fans.

Not high quality reproductions, but pretty cool little bits of Linsner memorabilia! Here's a few, and I have a few others of Storm and Rorschach.

Some of the other interesting items I was able to pick up were these friskets.

A frisket is a mask that you apply to artwork to isolate it and keep it from getting paint on it. You carefully cut the frisket material out with an X-acto knife and apply it to the area you want to cover - then you just paint (or airbrush in Joe's case) the piece, then peel off the frisket and your artwork underneath is untouched.

Interestingly enough, Joe peeled off the frisket and stuck it to a scrap piece of paper - instead of just crumpling it up and tossing it out. The backsides of these papers include some stuff for Kevin Taylor and some type layouts for the Webster Hall poster. I like the third frisket where he sketched Dawn's face on the material afterwards. :)

Being an artist, I was kind of excited to get these and get a closer look at how Joe worked on his paintings. I believe I've seen most of these - but at 5PM on a Friday night, my brain was only going to let me identify Cry For Dawn #8's painting. I'll come back and figure out which is which later.

FRISKET_01.jpeg

FRISKET_02.jpeg

FRISKET_03.jpeg

FRISKET_04.jpeg

FRISKET_05.jpeg

Nice books, Frank! CFD #9 limited is my favorite cover - love seeing that in such pristine shape!

Hi everybody,

I found a really nice looking copy of Dawn Figure Study a few weeks ago. As mentioned earlier in this thread, this one is hard to find withour rubbing. Except the lower left corner

I am not sure in wich grade it will come back from CGC, but I hope for 9.x

dawn1Large_zps3f27978c.jpg

Hi everybody,

I found a really nice looking copy of Dawn Figure Study a few weeks ago. As mentioned earlier in this thread, this one is hard to find withour rubbing. Except the lower left corner

NICE nice book. Yes, this book is really hard to find without cover rubbing. Good luck and be sure to post it when you get it back from CGC!

Hi everybody,

NICE nice book. Yes, this book is really hard to find without cover rubbing. Good luck and be sure to post it when you get it back from CGC!

Great book, I love the cover and its a fun book to flip through. They gave this one out with a case of action figures. It was packaged as is in the top of the case, minus any type of bag/board. If you are not adverse, I'd have it pressed. That crunch on the lower left could likely be greatly improved. I would think your going to be in the 8.0/8.5 range as it sits.I think the graders cut some slack on this book given the difficulty getting nice copies. My copy has a spine tic that I would think would make it a 9.6, but its in a 9.8 holder. (shrug)

Here's mine:

1574_1.jpeg

Hi everybody,

Great book, I love the cover and its a fun book to flip through. They gave this one out with a case of action figures. It was packaged as is in the top of the case, minus any type of bag/board. If you are not adverse, I'd have it pressed. That crunch on the lower left could likely be greatly improved. I would think your going to be in the 8.0/8.5 range as it sits.I think the graders cut some slack on this book given the difficulty getting nice copies. My copy has a spine tic that I would think would make it a 9.6, but its in a 9.8 holder. (shrug)

Here's mine:

1574_1.jpeg

Let me preface this by saying I mean no disrespect.

But they screwed that grading up fairly good. Not only the spine tick, but the upper left-hand corner is pretty bad and the right-hand corner is pretty soft/white.

Patrick

Hi everybody,

Here's mine:

1574_1.jpeg

But they screwed that grading up fairly good. Not only the spine tick, but the upper left-hand corner is pretty bad and the right-hand corner is pretty soft/white.

Patrick

The white line on the upper left corner is on the slab, not the book. If you look in the area, there are a lot of them. The white on the upper right is the micro paper showing through. The corner is actually pretty squared.

As I said, there's a tic about half way down and I had the book at 9.6.

Hi everybody,

Here's mine:

1574_1.jpeg

Patrick

The white line on the upper left corner is on the slab, not the book. If you look in the area, there are a lot of them. The white on the upper right is the micro paper showing through. The corner is actually pretty squared.

As I said, there's a tic about half way down and I had the book at 9.6.

It was graded in 2011 - during CGC's "loose as a goose" phase. If this was resubmitted today, it would come back a 9.6 just like you predicted :foryou: