• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What If It was your job to save the hobby... New Readers!

107 posts in this topic

....i also send new comics to young relatives, particularly a nephew of mine (he's six)..............he's really getting into them, i sent him the ff 9 cent book which he loved and his favourite book is ultimate spider-man....................

.......hopefully he is hooked.................. grin.gif

.......if everyone who collected comics did this, it would be a step in the right direction...........trouble is most collectors can't bring themselves to part with their books............... grin.gif

PROBLEM (basically...why 8-16 year olds don't buy comics anymore?)

1. Limited availability (only in comic shops and online ordering needing a CC)

2. Comics are not considered a worthwhile form of entertainment.

3. Comics currently can't compete with home video games (and other) related

entertainment.

4. They are used to quick changing stimuli, not using their imagination

5. from what I'm told... Girls put out more than ever grin.gif

PROBLEM SOLVING IDEAS:

1. Create "Fan Line", offered for less (as a loss and leader)... include coupons for items

kids use: Blockbuster coupons, Game purchase rebates, GAMING TIPS, etc.

2. "Adopt-a-kid-and-give-him-comics" and take him/her to the comic shop occassionally.

Replace yourself with at least 2-5 new collectors during your lifetime.

3. Hand out Comics at Halloween, Christmas, Birthdays... wherever possible.

IMPLEMENT A PRECISE PLAN:

1. Creat "Fan Line" concept and promote it. Put as Free Insert in Sunday Paper with

discounted subscription. Get comics back into Convenience stores, etc.

2. Promote Comic Collecting with a Booth and samples at Movie Theatres during opening

week of any comic related movie.

3. Promote Comic Collecting within Comic Related Video Games (Offer Gaming tips and

game purchase discounts within the comic). Cross associate Games with Comics.

Maybe there are "Secret Clues" hidden in the stories?

4. Get younger celebrities to promote New Comic Reading and collecting.

put them in the movie too. Have the hero reading comics in the movies.

5. Start a rumor that X is in comic ink ths making a sexual connection to

reading comicssmirk.gif

Well there's my start. See if you can impove or add to the concept. Copy and paste the format and after a few ideas are kicked around.. we'll combine the best into a precise plan of attack and I'll mail it to Marvel and DC so it can be shredded grin.gif

WOW. Has this post evolved over the past couple of weeks. Bruce, as I have not been a part of this post since its inception (which you have made me aware of on more than one occassion) I am going to back up and give my "two cents" on the original "give me a new What If" concept before addressing the "how do we get kids into comics and expand the fan base" discussion.

NEW WHAT IF TOPIC:

What if it Captain America was a mutant? I always thought it would be interesting to go back to the time right before the "mutant witchhunt" period depicted in the X-men books and have it revealed that "America's Super Soldier and symbol of Freedom" was a mutie. The plot could evolve into the public's perception of mutants changing and becoming very positive (kid's looking up to their favorite mutants like they do sport's stars). As with all good "What-If" stories, the seeemingly positive premise would end in disaster with Magneto elected President of the US (who else would be better at taking advantage of the newfound popularity). He would then institute programs designed to detect "IF YOUR CHILD IS ONE OF THE LUCKY FEW WITH MUTANT ABILITY." They would be given special schooling and opportunities. Eventually, the mutants rise to the top of society and the rest are left behind. Eventually, "normals" or "GT's (future slang for genetic trash, which mutants come to refer to non-mutants as) become discriminated against and encouraged not to breed, go to school, etc.. Finally, on the eve of his election as President for an unprecedented FIFTH term, President Magneto signs the "Genetically Regressive Homosapian Registration Act" requiring all non-mutants to register and undergo forced sterilization to eradicate the "disease" of non-mutantcy.

Just my "two cents"!!!!!!!!

Not Bad at all Sully! That could have put a whole different spin on being a mutant. I suppose then Wolverine wouldn't get fried in the future either and Magento would be a hero... maybe not President though?

This is the type of input I was looking for initially when this thread started. Creative What If? storylines that everyone has to have stored away... I think.

I welcome more of these story ideas as well as the continuation of the recently changed direction about rebuildng readership.

Sorry to have made this a multi-topic thread... oh well.. I'm new crazy.gif