• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What If It was your job to save the hobby... New Readers!

107 posts in this topic

Ding... Ding... Ding!

CORRECT SIR!

About a year ago I submitted a v2 105 and received a 9.8. Shortly therefter I bought a collection with a big run of What If?s. As I was integrating them into my stock I noticed #7 v1 again and was suprised to see Spider-Girl!?! shocked.gif The 105 v2 slab said "1st appearance Spider-Girl". Seeing how both characters originated in a What If story I thought #7 v1 deserved that credit (although that version of SG was pretty sad.)

Another No-Prize!

Betty Brant should count as Spider-Girl - I believe the reason for that credit to 105 is because that Spider-Girl was taken into continuity (somewhat). In other words, it is the first issue that the current Spider-Girl first appeared...sort of the way Daredevil 131 is the 1st appearance of Bullseye II (2) and not the Nick Fury Agent of shield, whatever number where there was an app of Bullseye, because they are different person sharing the same character name coincidentally...

True enough... but I would then expect a "Spider-Girl II" designation for the second character in that case to follow the "Bullseye" pattern (which has changed in the past year - see below). Now I guess it would be the "New Spider-Girl"

I think in last year's Overstreet they referred to the Nick Fury 15 Bullseye as "Bullseye I" and the DD 131 villian as "Bullseye II"... in the current guide its "Bullseye" and the "New Bullseye" respectively.

With all the creative minds on this forum, I thought this topic might ignite a little more brainstorming!smirk.gif Maybe I crammed too much in one post?

The influence of What if? on comics has been covered very well thus far... so let's narrow it down and focus on some creative stories.

Propose a WI story that you've had tucked away in the back of your mind for years now and now have to express... (briefly outline) SERIOUS (we've seen enough humorous) grin.gif

OK... I give up on this post crazy.gif

With all the abounding creativity the members of this forum have... I can only get funny What If?'s now. Dooooooh! tongue.gif

I really thought this would be a fun excercise and assumed many out there (like me) had a few good ideas for a serious What If? story. At least we covered the credit and history angle.

Put a fork in it... smirk.gif

Let's bring this to the top one for time for cousin Brucie, shall we?

I have this terribly miscut what if # 1 and it is not off-center, it is miscut so bad it's inadverently doing those illusion puzzles, like are these lines straight or bending. I can't tell if it was a bad hack job or it came that way...I'll have to post when I get home later...that'll keep your thread alive...

Here's one for you Carl...

Problem: Modern comics are much too expensive to hope that younger (even most adult) collectors have the funds to buy them in quantity and really support the hobby. Without New Comic sales growing or reaching a solid plateau and maintaining... the hobby's future looks to be a struggle. When I was younger I was able to buy almost every comic put out (and a few duplicates) with just a little lawn mowing, car washing and/or paper route income to supplement my meager allowance. Today, a younger collector would have to be selling weed, renting out his or pulling a "slip and fall" injury at the comic shop to walk away with a 15-20 book stack weekly.

Querry:

"What if you were given the task of bringing in as many new readers into the "Ultimate Age" of comics as possible to save the hobby long term...

If I had that power I would create another division and product for all the comic companies and include all appropriate titles. Just as there is a Marvel Max line for adults... I would create an affordable fan version called the "Throwback Line" or "Fan Line" that would be offered at cost or at a marginal profit. It would serve as an investment in the future... a "loss and leader" product to hook new readers on more titles. They could add an extra spread of advertising to help fund it.

Not only would the "Fan Line" be sold in comic shops along with the more expensive reg. version... but also back into convenience stores, news shops, toy stores, wherever they used to be and then some... even Blockbuster (if you could pull it off). These books would be produced as cheaply as possible, going back to newsprint and cheaper printing methods to to drive production costs down as far as possible. These books would be identical in content (*except the coloring) to the more expensive version sold at the comic shop...but affordable!! Imagine a new comic at .75¢ again! This would allow any budget collector to buy more. They may choose to buy a few "regular editions" but have the flexibility to afford and "try out" 5-10 of the "fan line" too. Maybe they eventually want the reg. edition and that may increase back issue sales too. The lowest funded collector could buy the "Fan Line" exclusively and still support the hobby later on when he does increase his means.

I know there are problems with this idea, but I believe they could do it if they wanted to.

Years back there was a reg and deluxe edition concept that was around awhile. Recently there have beena 10¢ and 9¢ comic... but that is not enough!!

*since I'm doubting the colorization of the "Fan Line" could be handled the same way (and I could be wrong)... after the inked version of the comic is produced it would split of into 2 different colorization methods. The reg edition using the current digital coloring process and the "Fan Line" perhaps a cheaper version similar to the older flat color procees (IF it's cheaper).

OK Carl...give me your view... what would you do??

He'd have to be very drunk (which is not a stretch) and Marge and her sisters would have to be on acid. It's more plausible that Apu would get that opportunity because he can... "Come Again" grin.gif

and now for something completely different.. a serious comment by...?

Damn, this getting too hilarious. Darn, I'll feel guilty bidding against you in the future now! Whew, I forgot. You bid on Marvels only! wink.gif Hopefully.... frown.gif

Not only would the "Fan Line" be sold in comic shops along with the more expensive reg. version... but also back into convenience stores, news shops, toy stores, wherever they used to be and then some... even Blockbuster (if you could pull it off). These books would be produced as cheaply as possible, going back to newsprint and cheaper printing methods to to drive production costs down as far as possible.

A lot of convenience stores have bailed out of comics due to lack of returnability - we'd need to get around that. Also, and worst of all, even when Marvel had the 99c line with Untold Tales of Spidey, the books didn't sell. When they tried the deluxe/regular split, no one bought the regular, lower priced versions. frown.gif

Hey Doc...

A lot of convenience stores have bailed out of comics due to lack of returnability - we'd need to get around that. Also, and worst of all, even when Marvel had the 99c line with Untold Tales of Spidey, the books didn't sell. When they tried the deluxe/regular split, no one bought the regular, lower priced versions.

There is a marketing challenge there. I don't know how committed Marvel was promoting that 99¢ concept. It might have worked with more effort, creativity and time. Maybe the deluxe/regular idea was a premature concept at that time... I bet that same option offered now goes over in a big way. I would buy an extra 15 titles a month if I could pick up a copy to enjoy (possibly) at 75¢ a pop. I'd worry about collecting a deluxe if the series really impressed me.

I'd make it work if I had the job... even if I had to put tear away free video coupons in it from Blockbuster, McDonalds, Taco Bell, or find other angles to make new fans pick up the book.

Maybe an upgrade option (at comic stores only) to the deluxe version... applying the price paid for the "Fan Line" copy if traded in within 1 week of purchase. Even if it was beat a little it could then be sold cheaper the 2nd time and possibly reach more new blood.

I agree, I don't think Marvel was overly committed to the 99c line - I don't believe they were sold on the newsstand (correct me if I'm wrong) where they'd have been most likely to grab the impulse buyer. In fact, Marvel's efforts like this seem to be continually mis-directed.

This continues today. The reader friendly ultimate line is not distributed to mass media outlets. No promotion of the product occurs to any significant extent. Granted, at this point, they've painted themselves into a corner with their financial status.

In fact, owing to Marvel's finances, I doubt they're able to consider a price rollback. Additionally, about a year ago, I read a post on another board from a poster involved in publishing who felt that even with lower page quality, a reversal in the price escalation of the 90s may be impossible due to lower unit numbers sold, higher page rates for creators, higher paper cost, and cost of new technology used.

Good points.. but with the "Fan Line" concept in place to supplement the reg edition, the "print only what was ordered" rule would not be in effect and thus higher numbers of printed copies would equate to lower production prices in that regard... (they just have to sell them). Also, the creative talents would have already been paid for their work as always in the reg. format. They may get another additional, but smaller payment for the additional use (and the different colorization process costs need to be factored in)... but I feel the cost could be brought way down if someone was committed to making it work.