• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insanity.

29 posts in this topic

Over at the MCS auction, two insufficiently_thoughtful_persons have bid up a Captain America 100 in a CGC 5.0 slab to $710 with a day to go. :screwy:

Why doesn't this ever happen to my books? :frustrated:

$710.00

53 bids Captain America (1968 1st Series) 100 CGC 5.0

Scuffing across surface of slab.

First issue. Origin retold. Black Panther guest starring in "This Monster Unmasked!" -script by Stan Lee, pencils by Jack Kirby, inks by Syd Shores. Brief Nick Fury appearanc

Over at the MCS auction, two insufficiently_thoughtful_persons have bid up a Captain America 100 in a CGC 5.0 slab to $710 with a day to go. :screwy:

Because you're not a shill.

That might explain one of the two bidders, but not both.

MCS is pretty good at detecting shill bidding. About a year ago they knocked several hundred dollars off a TTA 27 I had won when they determined the under-bidder might have been one. I don't think any other auction house would have done that, although I could be mistaken.

Because you're not a shill.

That might explain one of the two bidders, but not both.

MCS is pretty good at detecting shill bidding. About a year ago they knocked several hundred dollars off a TTA 27 I had won when they determined the under-bidder might have been one. I don't think any other auction house would have done that, although I could be mistaken.

It's probably a case of shill meets deep pockets. Once they have awkward sex, somebody's gonna be left with a Cap baby they regret.

Hey don't make fun of my bidding. This book is worth it.

I plan on flipping it.

A couple of people have already contacted us to ask us about the bidding on this item. One of the inquiries came from the item's consignor. I can't guarantee in advance the item will be paid for once the auction ends, but we've looked into it. Without going into detail, both bidders appear to be legitimate.

Are people able to use their MCS credit in auctions?

I know there are some people out there with a good amount of credit, and I could see them being more willing to spend "over market" when its just credit being spent...

What I dont get is why someone would bid up past the point of currently available BINs on eBay.

So two yahoos bid up a Cap 100 CGC 5.0 to over $700

Meanwhile on eBay right now you could BIN:

An 8.0 for $600

An 8.5 for $575 (OBO)

An 8.5 for $575

A 6.0SS for $450 (OBO)

A 7.0 for $333 (OBO)

A 6.5 for $300 (OBO)

A 5.5 for $265

and those are just the eBay BINs that are better (or equal) grade all being listed FOR LESS than the auction currently stand.

That is insane. I dont fault bidders when they arent aware of better deals on dealer sites or obscure auctions, or even auction sites that are comic specific, but eBay? Everyone knows about eBay!

People just can't believe it, they want to jump on the shill bandwagon, I just think it's a lot of new money, new hobbyist and a lot of impulsive buying. I think the movies have definitely brought a lot of attention to the medium and well, this is part of that result. A lot of noobs driving up the prices without really having a thorough understanding or prices and values.

People just can't believe it, they want to jump on the shill bandwagon, I just think it's a lot of new money, new hobbyist and a lot of impulsive buying. I think the movies have definitely brought a lot of attention to the medium and well, this is part of that result. A lot of noobs driving up the prices without really having a thorough understanding or prices and values.

But even if it's new money, why bid a book well past what is readily available on another MAJOR marketplace website like eBay. I dont think you have to know ANYTHING about prices and values to understand the idea of "why should I keep bidding on this 5.5 when I can go BIN an 8.0 right now for the same price? Or less?"

And wouldnt impulse buys be more apt to hit the BIN on eBay than bid in a multi-week auction at a less major site (MCS is big, but it's not eBay big).

Sounds like a couple of bafoons at an auction I attended. There were some GA Bats and Supes that were in fair cond at best. Went for thousands, several thousands, over guide. It was ridiculous.

IN person Auctions (i.e. general auction houses and estate auctions) have MUCH different bidding audiences (general pickers, flippers, antique dealers, and people who dont know comics but think "if its old its valuable") than a MyComicShop auction which is a comic book website with a comic book auction. Even if they are uninformed, they are going there to seek out comics specifically. I cant imagine many uninformed bidders in a MCS auction. Ebay sure.. maybe even Heritage (since they have a wide range of auction types and might suck someone in from one of the other areas), but MCS is all comics all the time.

If it was reversed I could understand it (if the price was really high on eBay with a bunch of BINs on MCS) because then at least you could say well it is new buyers who are just getting in and don't know about my comic shop. I think a good majority of people got into collectable auctions through eBay (then learned they were over priced and moved on to CC, CL, HA, and MCS) This auction makes no sense to me and given the fact that MCS came here, said they flagged it and think everything is on the up and up I am gonna say I am very happy for the seller, congrats.