• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Insanity.

29 posts in this topic

People just can't believe it, they want to jump on the shill bandwagon, I just think it's a lot of new money, new hobbyist and a lot of impulsive buying. I think the movies have definitely brought a lot of attention to the medium and well, this is part of that result. A lot of noobs driving up the prices without really having a thorough understanding or prices and values.

But even if it's new money, why bid a book well past what is readily available on another MAJOR marketplace website like eBay. I dont think you have to know ANYTHING about prices and values to understand the idea of "why should I keep bidding on this 5.5 when I can go BIN an 8.0 right now for the same price? Or less?"

And wouldnt impulse buys be more apt to hit the BIN on eBay than bid in a multi-week auction at a less major site (MCS is big, but it's not eBay big).

People get caught up in the competitive moment, I know I've caught myself bidding more for an auction than for a bin.

Mycomicshop has a pretty good rep and presence on ebay, those sellers with good reps always bring more value to their auctions.

If you are new to the hobby, you might feel more comfortable bidding with a larger ebay retailer like mycomicshop.

In response to an earlier question, no, trade credit can't be used in MCS auctions.

Somewhere in another thread someone made a joke when that company recently sold out to Facebook for $2B... "There's going to be a lot of nerds with new money to bid everything up....". I placed 40 tracking bids on Comic Link the other day at decent $ amounts, and I'm am already outbid on all but 5 of them.

If someone is pulling in $300K a year and doesnt have a wife or kids, this is a drop in the bucket and you might as well spend it on comics....

The only possible scenario I see here is two nerds brawling it out.

It ain't about the book anymore-now it's personal.

But even if it's new money, why bid a book well past what is readily available on another MAJOR marketplace website like eBay. I dont think you have to know ANYTHING about prices and values to understand the idea of "why should I keep bidding on this 5.5 when I can go BIN an 8.0 right now for the same price? Or less?"

And wouldnt impulse buys be more apt to hit the BIN on eBay than bid in a multi-week auction at a less major site (MCS is big, but it's not eBay big).

Easy answer is that people just don't like using eBay as a marketplace for purchasing anymore and would rather spend their money with an entity that they trust or at feel is more reliable.

What I dont get is why someone would bid up past the point of currently available BINs on eBay.

So two yahoos bid up a Cap 100 CGC 5.0 to over $700

Meanwhile on eBay right now you could BIN:

An 8.0 for $600

An 8.5 for $575 (OBO)

An 8.5 for $575

A 6.0SS for $450 (OBO)

A 7.0 for $333 (OBO)

A 6.5 for $300 (OBO)

A 5.5 for $265

and those are just the eBay BINs that are better (or equal) grade all being listed FOR LESS than the auction currently stand.

That is insane. I dont fault bidders when they arent aware of better deals on dealer sites or obscure auctions, or even auction sites that are comic specific, but eBay? Everyone knows about eBay!

I saw similar things several years ago. One site was selling collectible figurines and asking cuh-razy prices, and getting them. Meanwhile, on other sites and ebay you could find the same figurines much, much cheaper. (shrug)