• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So is this board mainly full of high end collectors?

184 posts in this topic

I am relatively new here, but I would say there are quite a few high end collectors. I'm not saying they are the majority, but they seem to be the one's with the loudest voices or at least are the most active on the boards. Now, everyone loves and wishes for the grail books, but I don't have a single one. I just posted a pic of my newest Sgt. Fury & HHC #9 Don/Maggie pedigree CGC 9.2 in a few different threads and no one gave two s about it. To me, it was the most expensive (and one of the nicest, even compared to 9.6's I have) books I have ever purchased, but to most it is nothing. Unless you buy or have a high grade Hulk 181, an AF 15, TOS 83 or something along those lines, your awesome comic will be to many here. I have never even seen any one of those books in the flesh, only pictures! Many of the people on this board are nice and here to help, but there are a few that come off as plain rude. So, prepare to be pissed off at least a couple of times.

I can estimate the value of my entire collection at about $3,000- $4,000, so I would say the majority of the boardies here have at least one book that's worth at least that in itself and there are probably more than a few that have books that are worth many multiples of that. Quite a few of the members here own shops, or at least sell at nearly every comic show. There are quite a few who keep their books in safes and locked up in bank vaults, so you know there is money there.

To me, $350 is a ton of money to spend on one book. I do have one low grade (2.5-3.0) key book Sgt. Fury & HHC #1, but I bought it in 2002 before I took a hiatus from collecting. I think I paid $60 or $70 on ebay as a "reader" copy. It's at CGC right now, so I'll either get a 4.0 ish winner and make a 6x return on investment or I'll get a 2.0 and triple my money. (It doesn't matter as I doubt I'll ever sell.)

So, just be prepared to be often ignored, and many times outdone, by a lot of the boardies here. They have been there done that and really don't care much for the little guys. I know I've asked many a newbie questions and a majority here forget what being the newbie is. They'll let you know. That being said, there are a few that treat this like a "community" and stretch out an olive branch. I personally can say so for bomber-bob, joeypost, timern and a few others. They may be big time, but they help out the little guy!

I am relatively new here, but I would say there are quite a few high end collectors. I'm not saying they are the majority, but they seem to be the one's with the loudest voices or at least are the most active on the boards. Now everyone loves and wishes for the grail books, but I don't have a single one. I just posted a pic of my newest Sgt. Fury & HHC #9 Don/Maggie pedigree CGC 9.2 in a few different threads and no one gave two about it. To me, it was the most expensive (and one of the nicest) books I have ever purchased, but to most it is nothing. Unless you buy or have a high grade Hulk 181, an AF 15, TOS 83 or something along those lines, your awesome comic will be to many here. I have never even seen any one of those books in the flesh, only pictures! Many of the people on this board are nice and here to help, but there are a few that come off as plain rude. So, prepare to be pissed off at least a couple of times.

I can estimate the value of my entire collection at about $3,000- $4,000, so I would say the majority of the boardies here have at least one book that's worth at least that in itself and there are probably more than a few that have books that are worth many multiples of that. Quite a few of the members here own shops, or at least sell at nearly every comic show. There are quite a few who keep their books in safes and locked up in bank vaults, so you know there is money there.

To me, $350 is a ton of money to spend on one book. I do have one low grade (2.5-3.0) key book Sgt. Fury & HHC #1, but I bought it in 2002 before I took a hiatus from collecting. I think I paid $60 or $70 on ebay as a "reader" copy. It's at CGC right now, so I'll either get a 4.0 ish winner and make a 6x return on investment or I'll get a 2.0 and triple my money. (It doesn't matter as I doubt I'll ever sell.)

So, just be prepared to be often ignored, and many times outdone, by a lot of the boardies here. They have been there done that and really don't care much for the little guys. I know I've asked many a newbie questions and a majority here forget what being the newbie is. They'll let you know. That being said, there are a few that treat this like a "community" and stretch out an olive branch. I personally can say so for bomber-bob, joeypost, timern and a few others. They may be big time, but they help out the little guy!

If you post a lot you won't get ignored i can guarantee that. And if the ones with the loudest voices have the best books that makes me the proud owner of 22 copies of Action #1 in 9.6.

But there are PLENTY of deals for those of us who prefer readers. Excellent deals. That's what brought me here. Someone linked me to the sale section, I saw "CGC" and thought "There won't be any deals. Everything is going to be priced crazy" and boy was I wrong. This can be the best place to shop depending on what you're looking for. And there are plenty of people with expert knowledge in comics I like to buy, who also happen to like to buy comics I'm not in the market for, but that's cool. Lots of people here can recommend a good series for reading, collecting, or whatever.

I am relatively new here, but I would say there are quite a few high end collectors. I'm not saying they are the majority, but they seem to be the one's with the loudest voices or at least are the most active on the boards. Now everyone loves and wishes for the grail books, but I don't have a single one. I just posted a pic of my newest Sgt. Fury & HHC #9 Don/Maggie pedigree CGC 9.2 in a few different threads and no one gave two about it. To me, it was the most expensive (and one of the nicest) books I have ever purchased, but to most it is nothing. Unless you buy or have a high grade Hulk 181, an AF 15, TOS 83 or something along those lines, your awesome comic will be to many here. I have never even seen any one of those books in the flesh, only pictures! Many of the people on this board are nice and here to help, but there are a few that come off as plain rude. So, prepare to be pissed off at least a couple of times.

If you post a lot you won't get ignored i can guarantee that. And if the ones with the loudest voices have the best books that makes me the proud owner of 22 copies of Action #1 in 9.6.

Right, kav! You do have a loud voice! I don't even know who you are, but you are everywhere....and nowhere! You have responded to many of my posts, but some of the responses were...well... :pullhair: That being said, you seem like an good boardie!

Right, kav! You do have a loud voice! I don't even know who you are, but you are everywhere....and nowhere! You have responded to many of my posts, but some of the responses were...well... :pullhair: That being said, you seem like an good boardie!

You know you've made the cut when Kav responds to your posts. I am everywhere, and nowhere....

I am relatively new here, but I would say there are quite a few high end collectors. I'm not saying they are the majority, but they seem to be the one's with the loudest voices or at least are the most active on the boards. Now, everyone loves and wishes for the grail books, but I don't have a single one. I just posted a pic of my newest Sgt. Fury & HHC #9 Don/Maggie pedigree CGC 9.2 in a few different threads and no one gave two s about it. To me, it was the most expensive (and one of the nicest, even compared to 9.6's I have) books I have ever purchased, but to most it is nothing. Unless you buy or have a high grade Hulk 181, an AF 15, TOS 83 or something along those lines, your awesome comic will be to many here. I have never even seen any one of those books in the flesh, only pictures! Many of the people on this board are nice and here to help, but there are a few that come off as plain rude. So, prepare to be pissed off at least a couple of times.

I would add to that. Like any other assemblage or niche based community, you'll find your popular crowd (where else can you be an uber nerd and be the popularity king) who gets accolades (nice find!) for posting a low grade piece of drek, while others pour their hearts into a post and get ignored or heckled. One reason is that a lot of posters often know each other in person and travel to events together, so they feel more comfortable about back-slapping and accolades. Other guys get respect by being the biggest beer drinking village dolt. A lot of ways it's kind of like prison here, I guess. I never really felt like I fit in much, but still find enough interest to cavort around here. :whistle:

I would add to that. Like any other assemblage or niche based community, you'll find your popular crowd (where else can you be an uber nerd and be the popularity king) who gets accolades (nice find!) for posting a low grade piece of drek, while others pour their hearts into a post and get ignored or heckled. One reason is that a lot of posters often know each other in person and travel to events together, so they feel more comfortable about back-slapping and accolades. Other guys get respect by being the biggest beer drinking village nimwit. A lot of ways it's kind of like prison here, I guess. I never really felt like I fit in much, but still find enough interest to cavort around here. :whistle:

Yeah I'm that guy in the prison movie that has a pet mouse.

I would add to that. Like any other assemblage or niche based community, you'll find your popular crowd (where else can you be an uber nerd and be the popularity king) who gets accolades (nice find!) for posting a low grade piece of drek, while others pour their hearts into a post and get ignored or heckled. One reason is that a lot of posters often know each other in person and travel to events together, so they feel more comfortable about back-slapping and accolades. Other guys get respect by being the biggest beer drinking village dolt. A lot of ways it's kind of like prison here, I guess. I never really felt like I fit in much, but still find enough interest to cavort around here. :whistle:

In the land of the blind, the one eyed-man can still read comics....

The fact u posted in a few different threads might have irritated some boardies from commenting. Hey, u like the book, more power to u but u shouldnt expect people to have to comment. And I can definitely attest that it isnt about high end books here. We are collectors here, mostly and low grade , high grade, no grade books all matter. And tho I dont post a lot and a 'nobody' many 'high end' boardies have been very helpful and kind. Its a worldwide community of comicbook collectors. Nobody owes us a living. Just saying.

I would add to that. Like any other assemblage or niche based community, you'll find your popular crowd (where else can you be an uber nerd and be the popularity king) who gets accolades (nice find!) for posting a low grade piece of drek, while others pour their hearts into a post and get ignored or heckled. One reason is that a lot of posters often know each other in person and travel to events together, so they feel more comfortable about back-slapping and accolades. Other guys get respect by being the biggest beer drinking village nimwit. A lot of ways it's kind of like prison here, I guess. I never really felt like I fit in much, but still find enough interest to cavort around here. :whistle:

Yeah I'm that guy in the prison movie that has a pet mouse.

I got my street cred by picking a fight with CAL my first day

(where else can you be an uber nerd and be the popularity king)

Other guys get respect by being the biggest beer drinking village dolt.

:acclaim:

-slym

Some get it by insulting Baltimore Lauren