• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clear Backing Boards. Opinions please. Very Sharp!!!

68 posts in this topic

Well, after a long time with prototypes and figuring out what would make these better, the product is finally ready for the market.

I want to see what you guys think about this product. I think this is a great product for convention dealers or for books that you want to keep in tip top shape. The product is just so strong against drops and creases and what not. This board is so much stronger than any cardboard board and safer than anything else.

They are immensly crack resistant and chip resistant. They can be re-used, washed, polished or just kept for years.

They are made out of the same type of product that museums and art dealers use to protect their art from UV rays and from fingerprints.

Each sheet is laser cut for perfect corners, and covered on both sides until you are ready to use them.

I have found that they work best in Mylites or Mylite2's. The extra space at the top of either back is protected and they lay completely flat.

We are just about ready to order our initial round of these.

Available in

1/8th inch. $1.49 each

1/16th inch $0.99 each.

For a limited time. Dealers or collectors who want to order a large quantity of these can cash in on a good discount as these would be the first run we order. We are going to order these in 2 sizes, but could consider a custom size this time only.

They will be available in

7 1/16th by 10 3/4 and 7 10/16th by 10 3/4 (Works in 7 1/4 Mylars and 7 3/4 Mylars)

Please PM me with any questions or ordering queries.

cb0.jpg

cb1.jpg

cb2.jpg

cb3.jpg

cb4.jpg

cb5.jpg

cb6.jpg

cb7.jpg

cb8.jpg

Thanks, I am trying to get an idea of how many I should order at first. I am trying to gauge what type of amounts the average collector would be interested in.

The coolest thing I think is you can actually buy 2 1/16th ones, and cover the front and back, without ever exposing any part of the comic to mishandling.

The edges are sharp, but not sharp enough to cut through the mylar bag. Sharp enough I suppose if you chuck it at someone to hurt them. But not as in so far to cut yourself. I have had some books against these for months and believe me, they barely move unless you make them.

The main thing I worry about is if the manufacturer can maintain quality control of the cut dimensions of the mylar backing board. If a little too wide, u will be splitting the seems of a lot of mylites, or the fit will be so tight u won't be able to shake your hi-grade comic out of the mylite. tongue.gif

Gosh such an obvious idea. I cannot believe that no one has thought of this before. Great is all I can say. Maybe too obvious and that is why no one ever thought of it before. Very VERY nice work.

I imagine u have factored in the thickness of a GA comic b/c the 7 10/16 inch width with 1/8 inch thickness almost seems too wide for a mylar board. Thought a 7 8/16 inch width by 1/8 inch thickness of backing board would be ideal for GA comics. confused-smiley-013.gif

Gosh such an obvious idea. I cannot believe that no one has thought of this before. Great is all I can say. Maybe too obvious and that is why no one ever thought of it before. Very VERY nice work.

Actually doesn't EGerber or someone have "clear backs" or something to that effect on the market already?

Well, I think a long time ago someone came up with something like this. We ourselves did a release of our initial prototype but there were problems that we had to overcome. Our initial response was great, but because I am a collector too, I saw problems I needed to fix before we could move forward.

We are releasing 2 sizes. The 1/16th inch will probably be the best for golden age, where as the 1/8th inch is best for everything else. The 1/8th inch would work for goldens, but you would have to go to a slightly higher sized bag. We probably in the end will end up making every single size from Current to Magazine.

The quality control situation is under control. All of the cutting is done by lasers and mistakes are highly unlikely.

The edges are not sharp enough to cut a 2 mil or 4 mil. They can puncture a 1 mil, but you have to try pretty hard. It isn't like a backboard cutting into a polybag at all.

As for taking the book out, what I have seen works best is taking the board itself out to support the book and then taking the book off the board. This is what I do with comics on regular boards anyways because I like to lay it flat on a table before I pick it up, and the board helps to support it.

Another note to collectors, we are also developing

24 pt, both sides dull and white acid free boards. (Basically Halfbacks)

42 pt, both sides dull and white acid free boards. (Basically Fullbacks)

Mylars, both 1-2-4 Mills, but the boards will fit completely and entirely. There will be no overhang, or additional flap like we currently see with the Halfback and mylars.

Actually doesn't EGerber or someone have "clear backs" or something to that effect on the market already?

I've never seen an equivalent product from Cole or Gerber. I've been waiting for clear boards for years. I asked Cole a few years ago if he'd create them, but he didn't seem to think there was much of a market for them.

He may have only been considering that the boards be made from archival-quality Melinex and figuring that wasn't cost-effective. What material are these boards made from? Who's the manufacturer?

And another question--how much do they bend? You mentioned they're stronger than woodpulp boards, which isn't surprising, but how do they compare in strength to something like the CGC case? I have no expectation they'd be anywhere as strong as that, but with woodpulp being one end of the spectrum, and the CGC case being the other, where do these boards fall in-between in terms of rigidity?

I can't say for certain as to why neither of these companies produce them, but I think it does have to do with a marketing thing.

I know that we had to do a lot of things to be able to have these made, and to be honest, I don't see it being profitable for quite some time.

I am unable at the current point to disclose manufacturing and what not due to contractual obligations. However, in early 2005 I am able to discuss.

The strength of these boards as best as I can describe.

1/8th inch's tensile strength is 8900 psi

Russ,

Looks great! They must be pretty rigid, why would you possibly need the 1/8"? It seems like the 1/16" would be plenty, No?

I''m interested big time, but I think I'll wait for feedback from Darth! 27_laughing.gif