• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clear Backing Boards. Opinions please. Very Sharp!!!

68 posts in this topic

Thank you, it ticks me off as well. I can't stand that overlap, or the lack of a board on the top, left and right sides.

The problem is that most collectors and dealers use mylars that are too tight. The backing board should NOT go all the way to the edges of the mylar because it will make the fit too tight. Not only that, but the book is being rubbed by the mylar as it enters and exits the sleeve. Take a look at your books... if the book is too snug against the bottom of the sleeve, there's a good chance that a depression on the cover is happening as a result.

Me? Believe it or not, I use huge magazine sleeves with Golden Age sized (obviously smaller) backing boards. Not the most attractive way to store books, but far better than using tight mylars. I'll bet that most of the damage incurred by people in their collections is by the use of ill-fitting mylar.

Lots of posts already.

Ideally when I stored my personal collection it was a Golden age mylite with a Golden age backing board within a Super gold mylar.

I have very rarely ever bent one of Jeff's backing boards unless I was really leaning into it. I have dropped Silver age books with this type of setup and the Golden age board saved my Silver age book from corner damage.

I personally find dealers that use mylites only with TAPE to be the single handed worst way to sell me a stack of books. Not only do they use a thin board they tape both sides with tapes that always rips. Thicker mylites with flaps only add to my frustration.

Your weight estimates should be factored across 30 boxes of Silver age which in my estimate is on the low side of many dealers box stock. Can we say goodbye to my rear shock absorbers or forget using a minivan.

The weights on each board are around

1/16=3 ounces

1/8th=6 ounces.

I am not sure how it would end up being figured as I am not sure if dealers use long/short/mag boxes.

Assuming that with this board, and depending on the size you might only be able to fit 100 or so in a short box. Could be even less.

Today I bring 30 boxes which reflect approx 4500 books.

Using these I would be adding 15 boxes.

End result

More trips unloading/loading

Additional storage costs, I already have a storeroom.

More strain on my car or minivan

More strain on my back

Again I'm not trying to downplay them but what benefit are they bringing to a buyer? It's adding to my per unit cost with no "Value added on". If it's a high priced book they are still taking it out of the bag.

I don't understand why they would say if a product blocks out UV rays then its not archival safe. Where is the rationale behind that?

Pretty much any type of plastic and glass "blocks out UV rays." Most any type of plastic blocks out 90% or more of them...it's just a matter of how much they block them out. As FFB pointed out, it's the plastics with inhibitors specifically added that the LoC hasn't tested. Which doesn't necessarily even mean that they're not archivally safe, it just means the LoC can't test every single melinex variant out there whenever a new manufacturer develops one.

I can't see why you won't reveal what type of plastic they're made from. I expected you not to reveal your manufacturer when I asked, but not revealing the type of plastic suggests uncertainty as to its archival quality.

It's still a great product idea, though, and I greatly hope it works out!!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

It's definitely more a "collector product" than a dealer product.

As you said Bob, any of your customers buying an expensive book are going to remove it from the bag regardless if they can see the cover or not.

I like the idea, and would probably use them on some of my better books to showcase the front and back cover.

This is all dependent, of course, on what they are made of. The second they hit the market, someone will send them in for testing. If they are safe, I think ComicSupply has a great product that alot of collectors will use. If they're not, you know what.....

If it's a high priced book they are still taking it out of the bag.

I think the clear boards are a neat idea, but as Bob pointed out, on books I spend more then $100 on I'm still doing a page count/color/coupon check.

I think the clear boards are a neat idea, but as Bob pointed out, on books I spend more then $100 on I'm still doing a page count/color/coupon check.

Don't forget to sniff it... cloud9.gif

Now instead of Dealer display racks you will see the ironing board with "relaxant". Not high enough for you, ssssssssssppppppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

How's that?

Still not nice enough

spritz, spritz, sppppppppppppphhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Ok, there you go, Have a nice day!

Not, to my knowledge these have went through NO treatment process. Other than the cutting process and the protective sheets being placed on them.

It's possible that the "UV blocking" properties of the material are not the result of the addition of a UV inhibitor, but rather, are just the general, partial blocking of UV that results from plain old Mylar and other plastics and glass. If so, then obviously as long as an approved, archival quality material is being used, the boards will be safe for use.

I hope you don't take my comments as being overly negative. Believe me, I want you to succeed with this product as much as anyone does. I was actually trying to find these a couple of months ago and started a thread about them on the CPG boards: Link to thread If you could get this product off the ground and once you confirm what the materials of manufacture are, I would be a buyer. I already buy a lot of your other stuff and I like your website a lot. headbang.gif

I don't understand why they would say if a product blocks out UV rays then its not archival safe. Where is the rationale behind that?

Pretty much any type of plastic and glass "blocks out UV rays." Most any type of plastic blocks out 90% or more of them...it's just a matter of how much they block them out. As FFB pointed out, it's the plastics with inhibitors specifically added that the LoC hasn't tested. Which doesn't necessarily even mean that they're not archivally safe, it just means the LoC can't test every single melinex variant out there whenever a new manufacturer develops one.

I can't see why you won't reveal what type of plastic they're made from. I expected you not to reveal your manufacturer when I asked, but not revealing the type of plastic suggests uncertainty as to its archival quality.

It's still a great product idea, though, and I greatly hope it works out!!!! thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Where did you see the LoC say that they hadn't tested plastic with UV inhibitors? I certainly didn't get that from the email I posted and I haven't seen them say that either.

No your right, on the manufacturing and production front I must remain quiet.

Info for you.

ACRYLITE® OP-2 acrylic sheet filters out 98% of the UV-range of light (200-400 nanometers) and offers excellent light transmission in the visible range between 400 and 700 nanometers. ACRYLITE® OP-2 sheet’s proprietary technology eliminates the objectionable “yellow tint” evident in other UV-filtering products. Easily fabricated, it can be thermoformed, cold-formed, screen printed and painted.

For your conservation needs, ACRYLITE OP-2 cell cast continuously manufactured acrylic sheet provide unsurpassed protection from damaging ultraviolet (UV) light rays. These unique products are specifically designed with proprietary technology to ensure exceptional UV protection, excellent optical quality and clarity. These properties, combined with ACRYLITE sheet’s impact resistance and ease of fabrication have established ACRYLITE OP-2 sheet as the standard for UV protection in the framing, conservation and museum markets.

I personally find dealers that use mylites only with TAPE to be the single handed worst way to sell me a stack of books. Not only do they use a thin board they tape both sides with tapes that always rips.

Sooooo true - 1-mil Mylites are worthless. The 2mils with flaps and a halfback are fine for storing books vertically in short boxes for the bulk of my books, but I prefer to use the SA 4-Mil Mylar sleeve with a 48-Mil fullback for my best books, stored flat in small boxes with corrugated cardboard between every 5 issues, with directional shift every stack of 5. The corrugated allows an ease of lifting, and extra support/shielding.

They are still taking it out of the bag. But there will fewer doing it.

Let's say you have a book that 100 people will look at before it is purchased.

Out of those 100, 75 will decide not to buy the book once they look at the front cover. 25 people want the book removed from the bag.

Out of those 25, 15 people decide not to buy once they've seen the back cover. 10 will further inspect the book.

Now let's say you have a clear backing board.

The same 100 people look at your book.

The same 75 have decided not to buy because they still see the front cover.

The 15 that didn't continue past the back cover, can now see that much without taking the book out.

Now out of 100 people, 10 will want the book removed versus 25 with the standard backing board.

While it will not eliminate having to take the book out of the bag, it will certainly limit the removal to fewer people. And those few will most likely be the ones that are going to be the "buyer".

Yeah, the numbers are made up. But you get the idea.

If you can see the front and back of a comic, you can narrow down the ones that you want opened by a substantial number. thumbsup2.gif