• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clear Backing Boards. Opinions please. Very Sharp!!!

68 posts in this topic

Let's say you have a book that 100 people will look at before it is purchased.

What is this surefire selling hot book? gossip.gif Dazzler 1, mayhaps?

It's irrelevant, Sherlock. Christo_pull_hair.gif

For argument's sake...Ultimate Spider-Man #1 White. makepoint.gif

I believe that the long and short boxes that are white corrugated cardboard do contain amounts of acid. Which is why we see them turn yellow over the years.

We will be selling the true acid free boxes with a 3% buffer but the costs are WAY more expensive than regular white boxes.

Take for instance our price on

5 Regular Shorts $14.99

5 Acid Free 3% Shorts $39.99

But no, from my expierence, the white long and short boxes do contain some sort of acid and will breakdown over time. Now, the acid migrating to the books is another story. I highly doubt you would see any effects for long term storage in these boxes. Other than the toll gravity takes on your books.

I believe that the long and short boxes that are white corrugated cardboard do contain amounts of acid. Which is why we see them turn yellow over the years.

And here I thought it was from my dogs' repeatedly using the longboxes to relieve themselves against foreheadslap.gif

Where did you see the LoC say that they hadn't tested plastic with UV inhibitors? I certainly didn't get that from the email I posted and I haven't seen them say that either.

I didn't mean to say they haven't tested plastic with UV inhibitors, I meant to say they couldn't test every new plastic a manufacturer places on the market and so they can't recommend one way or the other on any given product out there they haven't tested. They haven't tested the Barex the CGC well is made of, either, but that didn't necessarily mean that the Barex blend CGC uses wasn't archivally safe, which is why the AACC had their own archival safety tests done on CGC's Barex.

ACRYLITE® OP-2

I haven't been able to find any info about the archival (i.e., the safety when sticking it in a box with paper for decades) quality of Acrylite OP-2, although I found a ton of references to how museums use it to publicly display works of art and how it's specifically designed to block UV light.

This is where I always get confused with what conservators mean by the term "archival." There are a lot of paper documents which get permanently displayed to the public, and it sounds like Acrylite is something that's used for that purpose. So if something like a newspaper describing the sinking of the Titanic, or a state's constitution, is kept in a museum in this stuff, does that infer it's "archival"? Or is this an outer layer to block light and the documents themselves are kept in a separate material WITHIN the UV-inhibitor? confused-smiley-013.gif

I don't necessarily know exactly how to get this tagged Archival safe.

But, I get what your saying. I would have to think that being this is the same stuff used, then Museum Directors and the likes wouldn't be putting their Rockwell's or papers behind them if it ate them up.

I am pretty sure its an all around thumbsup2.gif