• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comments Regarding the JIM 83

390 posts in this topic

Nice book. Back in the mid-80s Bob Overstreet told me a subscription copy could not grade higher than VG - no matter how nice it was. Most of us have always agreed with this.

Gary-

Don't you agree that it depends on how bad the book looks? If you have 2 copies of the same book and one book has a very light sub crease that looks like a 9.4 at first glance and another one has a heavy sub crease that looks like a 4.5, that the better looking one must grade higher as 10 out of 10 people would pick the 9.4 looking one, for the exact same price, every time?

I don't think you can just say that a certain defect, such as a sub crease, must not be allowed in a higher grade than 4.0, unless it's a very high grade like 8.0. The look of the book, when it comes to grading, is very important. Now a book with a missing back cover or a centerfold would be a 0.5 and I don't think anyone would disagree. For example, I would rather have a light sub crease on a high grade book, than a high grade book with ink smeared all over the cover, as that ink covers up the art where the light sub crease does not.

The Nova Scotia More Fun #54 comes to mind. I bought it off Jim Payette (who I, and many others, think is a very fair grader) in the mid 90's and he graded it a 7.0. The book had a non color breaking sub crease on the front cover, but looked like a 9.2. I had no problem with the grade he gave it (I was known as a very strict grader back "in the day") and paid 2X grade to guide for it. I sold it years later as a 7.0 or a 6.5 (can't remember) making a heavy profit and the collector I sold it to was thrilled to get the book and never said to me or even implied that the book was over graded.

Just my 2c

BTW....it was great seeing you at C2E2! I am looking forward to dinner with you and all our friends at the Chicago show. :headbang:

I understand the logic, Steve, but one has to draw the line somewhere when it comes to something as major as a sub crease. It's my understanding that a book can't get better than an 8.5 if it has a partial staple pop (where some paper is still attached). I've seen what would have been 9.6s and 9.8s with partial pops and I found that incredibly unfair.

Have you graded sub creased books higher than 4.5? If so what's the highest? How about the partial staple pop?

Gibsons in August! (thumbs u

Nice book. Back in the mid-80s Bob Overstreet told me a subscription copy could not grade higher than VG - no matter how nice it was. Most of us have always agreed with this.

Gary-

Don't you agree that it depends on how bad the book looks? If you have 2 copies of the same book and one book has a very light sub crease that looks like a 9.4 at first glance and another one has a heavy sub crease that looks like a 4.5, that the better looking one must grade higher as 10 out of 10 people would pick the 9.4 looking one, for the exact same price, every time?

I don't think you can just say that a certain defect, such as a sub crease, must not be allowed in a higher grade than 4.0, unless it's a very high grade like 8.0. The look of the book, when it comes to grading, is very important. Now a book with a missing back cover or a centerfold would be a 0.5 and I don't think anyone would disagree. For example, I would rather have a light sub crease on a high grade book, than a high grade book with ink smeared all over the cover, as that ink covers up the art where the light sub crease does not.

The Nova Scotia More Fun #54 comes to mind. I bought it off Jim Payette (who I, and many others, think is a very fair grader) in the mid 90's and he graded it a 7.0. The book had a non color breaking sub crease on the front cover, but looked like a 9.2. I had no problem with the grade he gave it (I was known as a very strict grader back "in the day") and paid 2X grade to guide for it. I sold it years later as a 7.0 or a 6.5 (can't remember) making a heavy profit and the collector I sold it to was thrilled to get the book and never said to me or even implied that the book was over graded.

Just my 2c

BTW....it was great seeing you at C2E2! I am looking forward to dinner with you and all our friends at the Chicago show. :headbang:

I understand the logic, Steve, but one has to draw the line somewhere when it comes to something as major as a sub crease. It's my understanding that a book can't get better than an 8.5 if it has a partial staple pop (where some paper is still attached). I've seen what would have been 9.6s and 9.8s with partial pops and I found that incredibly unfair.

Have you graded sub creased books higher than 4.5? If so what's the highest? How about the partial staple pop?

Just reading and learning...

But I thought I had seen that book a while ago...

That Nova Scotia More Fun 54 is currently graded a 9.0 sitting on Comic Connect at the asking price of $34,750.

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=138225

Gary-

Just my 2c

That Nova Scotia More Fun 54 is currently graded a 9.0 sitting on Comic Connect at the asking price of $34,750.

Sub-crease......no more.

Gary-

Just my 2c

Sub-crease......no more.

Seriously, where is the subsrcitption crease, I don't see it ?

In this age of manipulation, even subsrciption creases can be eliminated.

Gary-

Just my 2c

Sub-crease......no more.

Seriously, where is the subsrcitption crease, I don't see it ?

In this age of manipulation, even subsrciption creases can be eliminated.

Well, he did say it was non-color breaking...