• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comments Regarding the JIM 83

390 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. We want to address the issue surrounding the Journey into Mystery #83 that was recently graded for Spider-Dan. As many of you know, the book received a universal grade by CGC in September 2007, then was submitted to us again by Spider-Dan in February this year, receiving a restored grade (TOP EDGE OF COVER TRIMMED). Spider-Dan subsequently sold the book to another person, who resubmitted the book end of March and got a universal grade. This draws into question the consistency of CGC’s restoration check, so we'd like to walk everyone through what we saw on the book.

The book recently showed up again at our office. The person who bought the book from Spider-Dan traded it to another party, who then submitted it to CCS. We contacted the new owner, who told us that he was not aware of the book’s history. Every time the JIM was submitted to CGC, it was sent in raw with no tag.

The book has a distributor ink mark along the top edge of the cover and pages near the spine, which is quite common. A telltale sign of cover trimming is when that distributor ink is present on the interior pages, but absent from either the front cover edge, back cover edge, or both. What made us believe the JIM 83 was trimmed was a lack of distributor ink on the top of the front cover.

post1_zps9dbb5fd9.jpg

But there appears to be only a dash of ink on the inside front cover, rather than the sizeable amount that appears on the rest of the pages and back cover.

post2_zps38f2ca81.jpg

post3_zps9ab6db43.jpg

Among all of the tampering and restoration we look for on each comic, trimming is definitely the hardest to spot. Decades of low quality printing methods have produced many books that look trimmed, but are not. Conversely, unscrupulous people have developed techniques that make trimming look natural. And since trimming has been a hot topic for the past decade, CGC has been particularly sensitive to catching it. There are times when a definitive answer cannot be found, even when several opinions are solicited in the grading room.

Out of the group of people who examined the book for Spider-Dan, only one of those people was present when CGC graded the JIM 83 universal February. Some books are recognized when resubmitted, but because copies of JIM 83 are submitted to CGC nearly every day, this one was not.

CGC has implemented controls that will mitigate this kind of situation. One control: any walk-thru submission containing a book or books that require additional scrutiny will be held for an additional day. Walk-thrus are normally graded and shipped same day, and for most orders this will not change.

We have re-evaluated the JIM 83 with additional opinions, and have determined that the book is not trimmed. It will be re-graded with a universal label. We have also compensated Spider-Dan.

Thank you,

The CGC Grading Team

We have also compensated Spider-Dan for the difference in value between the restored and universal grade.

Wow.

Some people may spoon on you (because that's the nature of this board) but that's a classy thing to do. Good on yas! (thumbs u

:popcorn:

Brutha, you said it. That goes double for me.

:popcorn::popcorn:

So I will say more...

What now happens to the JIM 83?

Does the new owner keep it?

Will it be auctioned off for charity?

Can I have it for free since I am a nice guy?

Can I have it for free since I am a nice guy?

get in line pal :slapfight:

I asked first and took screenshots of the thread as evidence.

We have re-evaluated the JIM 83 with additional opinions, and have determined that the book is not trimmed.

To summarize, the lack of distributor ink on the top of the front cover made you think the book was trimmed but your final conclusion is that it was not.

We have re-evaluated the JIM 83 with additional opinions, and have determined that the book is not trimmed.

To summarize, the lack of distributor ink on the top of the front cover made you think the book was trimmed but your final conclusion is that it was not.

+1000. What the...? ???