• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC Comments Regarding the JIM 83

390 posts in this topic

The book recently showed up again at our office. The person who bought the book from Spider-Dan traded it to another party, who then submitted it to CCS. We contacted the new owner, who told us that he was not aware of the book’s history. Every time the JIM was submitted to CGC, it was sent in raw with no tag.

I would love to know who Spider Dan sold the book to so I could completely avoid buying from them since they traded the book to someone without telling them the history of it.

That's the only thing that really bugged me after reading Paul's statement.

This could not have been an easy thing to address publicly, especially in light of the history on this particular book. Mad props to Paul and CGC for coming out and being an open book in the situation, and for handling the matter concerning Spider-Dan in the manner you have.

+1

I agree that CGC have done the right thing by addressing this issue in this way and also the wise thing from their perspective as the last thing they need was a further development in the saga becoming public knowledge in an uncontrolled way.

The book recently showed up again at our office. The person who bought the book from Spider-Dan traded it to another party, who then submitted it to CCS. We contacted the new owner, who told us that he was not aware of the book’s history. Every time the JIM was submitted to CGC, it was sent in raw with no tag.

I would love to know who Spider Dan sold the book to so I could completely avoid buying from them since they traded the book to someone without telling them the history of it.

I wasn't going to say anything, but what a :censored: move on his part. The buyer was -

comicsrlife

I will not be dealing with this person any longer either. Not sure if this qualifies them for the HOS or not

I wasn't going to say anything, but what a :censored: move on his part. The buyer was -

comicsrlife

I will not be dealing with this person any longer either. Not sure if this qualifies them for the HOS or not

This shines a new light on some of the posts he made in the "Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC graded books" thread.

Thanks for letting us know who it was...

comicsrlife

I appreciate your letting the community here know who did that. (thumbs u

He obviously had no problem with letting someone take the book while he knew at that time that there was a possibility of it being trimmed.

With all the blind online auction venues around isn't it more typical than not?

Just curious if it bugs people across the board when buying CGC, or mainly this particular instance.

So the way I read it is that the most recent owner deslabbed it, sent it into CCS (probably for a press) to try to get a grade bump? lol

I wonder how far off the census is at this point and how many times a lot of these books have been pressed/resubbed.

So CGC first thought (ok second thought) the book was trimmed because the distributor ink on the interior pages didnt seem to carry over to the cover.

What evidence did they find on 3rd examination that allowed them to counter their "trimmed" thoughts? And why wasnt that evidence considered during the previous grading (that led to the PLOD/trimming label).

Is it just a matter of "different graders=different results"? (As they noted the graders who were there during the grading of the book as PLOD, were no longer there for the re-grade back to universal).

If so, and it all comes down to the graders, and not the top secret standards and practices, why not release those standards since it still is up to the graders of the moment to interpret them?

Or am I misunderstanding?

With all the blind online auction venues around isn't it more typical than not?

Just curious if it bugs people across the board when buying CGC, or mainly this particular instance.

CGC publicly addressed the intent to take the book off the market. Selling it to anyone other than CGC prior to today's statement is all sorts of wrong.

Exactly!

Wasn't it also mentioned that the person bought the book from Spider Dan to keep in their collection and that's why CGC couldn't get the book back from the buyer?

Was it not sold here, within the sales forum?

Why doesn't CGC keep a database of scans of all books they slab, available to the public? We could see how many books out there take up 4-6 slots on the registry. At the very least they could do it for all high end books, I don't see how a company that makes money on giving collectors "peace of mind" wouldn't be transparent with all information they have.

That was my thought. I believe it was said they wanted to keep the book, but I know that sometimes there's a reason for not being able to do that.

I heard it was Red Rocks :gossip:

Why doesn't CGC keep a database of scans of all books they slab, available to the public? We could see how many books out there take up 4-6 slots on the registry. At the very least they could do it for all high end books, I don't see how a company that makes money on giving collectors "peace of mind" wouldn't be transparent with all information they have.

People have stolen images for rare books before and used them. It is common practice for the scammers on ebay.