• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 3/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:
On 10/28/2017 at 10:31 AM, CashMoney said:

This is undeniably a nice copy, but it pales in comparison to Drummy's copy.  That said, looks like FF1 is finally playing catch up with AF15.  When I was a kid, there was only one Silver Age comic that everyone wanted to own -- and that was Fantastic Four 1 -- and every other Silver Age comic (including, without limitation, AF15) was secondary in both value and desirability.  I still feel that way to this day (regardless of the hype surrounding AF15, and the delusional postings here about folks in China lining up in droves to buy AF15).  When the dust settles in a few years, and everyone looks back at the past few years, they will realize that the World's Greatest Comic Magazine and Marvel's first superhero team WILL BE, and should've always been, the king of the Silver Age books.  After all, it is a 10-cent comic - whereas AF15 and Hulk 1 each has a 12-cent cover price, which is 20% more than the 10-cent price of FF1 -- and 1,000% less significant from a historical perspective.             

On 3/5/2018 at 7:37 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

this 6.0 copy is up for auction in the May Heritage auction!

Since DDB quoted my clairvoyant words from back in October to make this SA forum the most popular of 2018, allow me to add some fuel to the fire here.  Besides the historical significance of FF1 (which I already summarized in depth, in DDB's quote, so no need to belabor), based on the census numbers, there are 1,778 blue label AF15's, but only 1,290 blue-labeled FF1's -- and about 1/3 less FF1's in total (i.e., 2,015 FF1's vs. 2,900 AF15's).  Numbers don't lie.  Probably most of the appreciation in FF1 right now is being driven by the speculators - but once the masses jump on the bandwagon, the shortage of existing FF1's will make it skyrocket to the moon! 

And let me leave you with this parting thought - there is no better proof of how popular FF1 was back in the 60's and 70's than the fact that Marvel was forced to include the team in Spidey #1, just to sell copies (yes, like it or not, Spidey was a sideshow to the Fantastic Four back then).  Happy hunting for even a decent copy before the train leaves the station!

Edited by CashMoney

2 hours ago, CashMoney said:

Since DDB quoted my clairvoyant words from back in October to make this SA forum the most popular of 2018, allow me to add some fuel to the fire here.  Besides the historical significance of FF1 (which I already summarized in depth, in DDB's quote, so no need to belabor), based on the census numbers, there are 1,778 blue label AF15's, but only 1,290 blue-labeled FF1's -- and about 1/3 less FF1's in total (i.e., 2,015 FF1's vs. 2,900 AF15's).  Numbers don't lie.  Probably most of the appreciation in FF1 right now is being driven by the speculators - but once the masses jump on the bandwagon, the shortage of existing FF1's will make it skyrocket to the moon! 

And let me leave you with this parting thought - there is no better proof of how popular FF1 was back in the 60's and 70's than the fact that Marvel was forced to include the team in Spidey #1, just to sell copies (yes, like it or not, Spidey was a sideshow to the Fantastic Four back then).  Happy hunting for even a decent copy before the train leaves the station!

... more like FF1 getting hot again will drive up the slabbed supply!  the book has been so dead for so many years its no wonder the # copies is so much less than AF15 which has been on wildfire until recently.

15 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Gonna be more, look at the current ha 2.5, already at all time high 

The 2.5 presents really well, and white pages too...but the tape & writing are unfortunate. The 3.0 on deck presents well too, but again...tape. I'm no longer in the market for one, but I encountered these two flaws very frequently in the lower grades...seemingly more so than most books in that grade range. Both defects being hard stops for me made it a challenge... YMMD

It seem like those who are looking to buy a copy now, may be too late as the train has already left the building in terms of paying a bargain price.  This though might be similar to what happened with AF 15 2 years ago when it started creeping up in price, selling for record prices and slowly stabilizing and dipping down.  Might have to wait a year or two until FF 1 stabilizes me thinks.

20 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

It seem like those who are looking to buy a copy now, may be too late as the train has already left the building in terms of paying a bargain price.  This though might be similar to what happened with AF 15 2 years ago when it started creeping up in price, selling for record prices and slowly stabilizing and dipping down.  Might have to wait a year or two until FF 1 stabilizes me thinks.

Just need auction results to a get a new Price point. 

4 minutes ago, Spiderturtle said:

Just need auction results to a get a new Price point. 

I'm sure when we see record prices being had here and there, more copies will be up for sale and thus will have more data points (thumbsu

28 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm sure when we see record prices being had here and there, more copies will be up for sale and thus will have more data points (thumbsu

be interesting to see how much the gap is closed between the golden standard af15 and ff1.  right now the gap is pretty wide

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

be interesting to see how much the gap is closed between the golden standard af15 and ff1.  right now the gap is pretty wide

Me too.  It's AF 15 at the top of the mountain and the rest way below the mountain practically

7 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

I had the 8.0 as an 80k potential. If only I listened to my own advice !

It would have hit $81k but the winner sniped It less than 5 seconds. Harder to pull the trigger than say 10seconds 

Edited by Spiderturtle