• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

47 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

FF 1 now around  $5k a point :idea:

That was a great price for the 6.0, but for whatever reason there have always been quirky sales for FF 1 like the 5.5 that sold for $30K back in 2012. Looks like lower grades are more like $3k/point now, depending on eye appeal.

Not that I really seriously considered it back then for more than a couple of seconds, but I am so happy I didn't sell my 5.0 a few months ago when I received an offer for $10K through myslabbedcomics.com. Even though I did find the offer to be more than decent then. Its funny how fast things change in this hobby.

19 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Not that I really seriously considered it back then for more than a couple of seconds, but I am so happy I didn't sell my 5.0 a few months ago when I received an offer for $10K through myslabbedcomics.com. Even though I did find the offer to be more than decent then. Its funny how fast things change in this hobby.

I have learned that when you get an inquiry or offer like this it usually means the book is about to pop = say NO. I got quite a few inquires and noticed numerous WTB requests for my FF 48 just before it popped. In fact, the best place to learn about upcoming 'hot' books is from watching the WTB threads. Some folks just get the news before others. 

19 hours ago, CatskillMike said:

A CGC 3.0 cr/ow just sold on ebay for $9,101.00. 

Wow,

That's like 3X what I paid for my 3.5 three years ago.

At some point I wonder whether to sell off my 1-108 run. 30 years in the making/upgrading.

But then I wonder why 1 should be worth less than IH 1 and AF 15. The answer vs AF15 is kind of obvious, but passing IH 1 is definitely possible (likely?).

I think 4 is the sleeper. Have not seen any sign of Namor in the MCU. I think that book could explode and possibly surpass 5. No I do not have one for sale.

Thus the beauty of run collecting, even though it's passe.

When you have them all, you can just kick back and watch the keys emerge. A lost art unfortunately.

Edited by Tempus Fugit

It's really nice to see FF #1 get some love in the crazy comics economy, and not just because I own one.  There's no book in the Marvel SA that holds more importance to me -- everything about it is iconic as the book that started it all for Marvel.  Will be intriguing to see how the 8.5 fares in June.

Dan

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Looks like FF 1 has caught up with Hulk 1 values at least in low to mid grade

I was trying to say that but I got ran off the board as pushing the book

Edited by Spiderturtle

2 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Looks like FF 1 has caught up with Hulk 1 values at least in low to mid grade

+1, also gpa for the time being is lagging in data points.  the 8.5 on cl ended at $121k, a record price for that grade and equivalent to hulk 1 8.5.  I know of a few 7.0's that were sold for strong prices by dealers(also not on gpa)

3 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

a record price for that grade and equivalent to hulk 1 8.5.

I don't know how accurate that is. Hulk #1 was a $130-140K book a year ago. But it's close.

21 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

if it was a stronger 8.5 and also graded by cgc it might hit $130-140k

Hulk #1 CBCS 8.5 went for $140+ last year if I'm not mistaken.

Obviously stronger looking books go for more money but are you saying that FF #1 should go for more than Hulk #1, grade for grade?

Personally, I think Ff #1 should always have stayed more valuable than AF #15.

21 hours ago, VintageComics said:

Hulk #1 CBCS 8.5 went for $140+ last year if I'm not mistaken.

Obviously stronger looking books go for more money but are you saying that FF #1 should go for more than Hulk #1, grade for grade?

Personally, I think Ff #1 should always have stayed more valuable than AF #15.

I think ff1 should be equivalent or slightly more than hulk 1.  Perception is a big deal in collecting.   The perception of Fantastic Four was trashed by Fox.  Disney can fix that.

Edited by Spiderturtle

1 hour ago, Spiderturtle said:

I think ff1 should be equivalent or slightly more than hulk 1.  Perception is a big deal in collecting.   The perception of Fantastic Four was trashed by Fox.  Disney can fix that.

Perception is a big deal for investing. Not for collecting.

Collectors love the books regardless of the movies.

On 6/17/2018 at 1:49 PM, VintageComics said:

Perception is a big deal for investing. Not for collecting.

Collectors love the books regardless of the movies.

very good point but At The  current Price level for mega keys. there will be pseudo collector-investor.   those guys Will hold FOR 3-5 years and then resell.  Disney at a minimal will do a better job then fox. good perception Will bring in The 35 years old (pseudo collector investor)