• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2018 at 1:23 AM, fishbone said:

Amen Brother!

Agreed. I haven't seen any of the newer movies even though some of them look pretty good. Last thing I saw was the first 30 minutes of Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man. Ugh. 

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

ff 1's with green writing are VERY highly-sought after these days!!

ff1-1.jpg

That "13" is unlucky. You should get that out of your collection immediately.:bigsmile: I'll be a good guy and take it off your hands.

Has anyone ever seen this printing defect before?  Apparently the Mole Monsters mouth's color-inks were laid down in the wrong order or 1 layer of ink was left out.  It looks like a color touch, but it's not.  

It's kind of a bizarre variant that I have not seen.

a1.jpg

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Has anyone ever seen this printing defect before?  Apparently the Mole Monsters mouth's color-inks were laid down in the wrong order or 1 layer of ink was left out.  It looks like a color touch, but it's not.  

It's kind of a bizarre variant that I have not seen.

a1.jpg

Saw one on heritage auction awhile back...didn’t know it was a printing defect. Thought it was sun fade + a bad scan or something... You can probably dig it up with their search function if interested...

Edited by Callaway29

29 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Nope, that's not it (although it's similar).  It's this one:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-1-marvel-1961-cgc-vg-35-off-white-pages/a/121212-14210.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It was in a CGC case graded at 3.5 and sold for $3100.  Now someone has now switched it to a Voldemort and now it's suddenly a 5.0 voldy on ebay being sold for $25,000.  Unbelievable!  Another reason to stay away from Voldemort.

Edited by gadzukes

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-1-marvel-1961-cgc-vg-35-off-white-pages/a/121212-14210.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It was in a CGC case graded at 3.5 and someone has now switched it to a Voldemort and now it's suddenly a 5.0 voldy on ebay.  Unbelievable!  Another reason to stay away from Voldemort.

Ah, I see now...not just the mouth though. Whole cover is off... 

On 7/3/2018 at 7:35 PM, gadzukes said:

It was in a CGC case graded at 3.5 and sold for $3100.  Now someone has now switched it to a Voldemort and now it's suddenly a 5.0 voldy on ebay being sold for $25,000.  Unbelievable!  Another reason to stay away from Voldemort.

I wonder why Volde slabbing was never in favour...

On 7/3/2018 at 12:35 PM, gadzukes said:

Eh, the other direction happened with the last big (for me) book I was after for my permanent collection. A Tec 233 sold as a 5.0 voldy on CC a couple of months ago for $1984, then I saw it a couple of weeks ago as a 6.5 CGC. Per GPA it sold for $4100. Too bad I wasn't properly prepared for it on CC and had to decide at the last minute to let it go.

Edited by Greenlake

1 hour ago, Greenlake said:

Eh, the other direction happened with the last big (for me) book I was after for my permanent collection. A Tec 233 sold as a 5.0 voldy on CC a couple of months ago for $1984, then I saw it a couple of weeks ago as a 6.5 CGC. Per GPA it sold for $4100. Too bad I wasn't properly prepared for it on CC and had to decide at the last minute to let it go.

That's a huge difference too.  There's going to be outliers on both sides, but I think I've witnessed many more examples of Voldy's grading a little looser than CGC.  Maybe CGC decided to really tighten up their grading when Voldy started their business.  7 years ago my personal grading was tighter than CGC, but now it seems every time I send a comic in to CGC they grade it tighter than me.  I'm actually kind of frustrated by it.  But I still prefer CGC to Voldy.

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

That's a huge difference too.  There's going to be outliers on both sides, but I think I've witnessed many more examples of Voldy's grading a little looser than CGC.  Maybe CGC decided to really tighten up their grading when Voldy started their business.  7 years ago my personal grading was tighter than CGC, but now it seems every time I send a comic in to CGC they grade it tighter than me.  I'm actually kind of frustrated by it.  But I still prefer CGC to Voldy.

I don't have a strong opinion on one versus the other, really. I try to buy the book, and have a much lower spending limit when I have to rely on the grade too much.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail too much from FF 1, I think I've just had that Tec 233 in the back of my mind since I saw it again. It's one that got away. I guess a very loose segue back to the thread is early FF is getting away from me, too. It never occurred to me I could actually afford a FF 1 or 5 until earlier this year when I decided to get a 5, and then I couldn't find a copy I liked for the grade range I wanted. Now prices appear to be where I don't think I'd be happy with what I could get even if it was good for the given grade.

18 hours ago, Greenlake said:

You have no idea what may have been done to the book prior to it hitting CGC. These days straight resubmits on big books are probably pretty rare.

Edited by TeddieMercede