• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2018 at 1:35 PM, gadzukes said:

Another reason to stay away from Voldemort.

You are making the assumption that the book was the correct grade the 1st time, nothing about the book has changed AND that the book is the incorrect grade this time. You sound like you just dropped into comics, which I know isn't true.

Edited by VintageComics

2 hours ago, VintageComics said:

You are making the assumption that the book was the correct grade the 1st time, nothing about the book has changed AND that the book is the incorrect grade this time. You sound like you just dropped into comics, which I know isn't true.

You're right, I did make assumptions, the biggest of which was assuming nothing about the book had changed (perhaps a press and a dry erase?).

I just looked back at the HA photos and compared it to the Ebay auction photos and sure enough all the writing was taken off the back cover.  I still think a 5.0 is a bit high for that comic given all the stains (did you see the back cover?).  I will also concede that perhaps the CGC grade was a bit tight.  I wonder if they downgraded for the weird printing flaw.

On 7/3/2018 at 10:35 AM, gadzukes said:

Nope, that's not it (although it's similar).  It's this one:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-1-marvel-1961-cgc-vg-35-off-white-pages/a/121212-14210.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

It was in a CGC case graded at 3.5 and sold for $3100.  Now someone has now switched it to a Voldemort and now it's suddenly a 5.0 voldy on ebay being sold for $25,000.  Unbelievable!  Another reason to stay away from Voldemort.

Yes and this is why Voldy slabs sell for cut rate prices compared to similarly graded CGC copies.  

-J.

23 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Crazy asking prices and realized sales prices are not one and the same.  

-J.

I sold a cgc 2.5 and a cbcs 2.5 FF 1 for the same price at heroes con last month, if anyone is interested in knowing

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I sold a cgc 2.5 and a cbcs 2.5 FF 1 for the same price at heroes con last month, if anyone is interested in knowing

Since you were able to examine them side by side, what did your eyeballs tell you?  Which one did the first buyer pick?

39 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Looks like book is around $4k/point depending on eye appeal. A buddy of mine sold his low graded copy just recently for an insane amount.

Any dealers on the boards see this spike coming ?  Quite the increase pp in the low grades from what I remember.  Certainly worth it comparatively and I hope it as staying power.  Love me some FF

2 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Since you were able to examine them side by side, what did your eyeballs tell you?  Which one did the first buyer pick?

They had different flaws lending to being a 2.5. I actually had 2 diff cbcs 2.5 at the show and I put the lessor eye appeal out and it had marginally better eye appeal than the Cgc copy and hence sold first. 

2 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

That's because you're a great salesman.  (thumbsu

-J.

I wish. Though, knowing that I did have 2 cbcs 2.5s I would have pushed that one harder if I needed to, but luckily buyers did all the work for me :)

1 hour ago, G.A.tor said:

I wish. Though, knowing that I did have 2 cbcs 2.5s I would have pushed that one harder if I needed to, but luckily buyers did all the work for me :)

What did they sell for? And I understand if this is not the place to disclose that info

25 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

$7495 each 

Definitely good prices. It has to be the Gator effect.  The book being extra hot in genera probably didn't hurt either. ;) It is not revelatory information that Voldy slabs regularly underperform to CGC in like grade.

-J.