• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

Hmmm....

The auction results from Comic Link today (December 2, 2020) could mean nothing...or maybe it's a strong indication that The Incredible Hulk #1 is now in a dog fight with Fantastic Four #1 for the position as the SECOND most coveted Silver Age book behind Amazing Fantasy #15.

I find it interesting that The Incredible Hulk #1 (CGC 7.0 ; Cream to Off-White Pages ; No Marvel Chipping) ended with a hammer price of $46,000.  Note that GoCollect shows the value of this item in CGC 7.0 as $43,000. 

In comparison, Fantastic Four #1 (CGC 7.0 ; Off-White Pages ; No Marvel Chipping) ended with a hammer price of $48,111.  Note that GoCollect shows the value of this item in CGC 7.0 as $39,000.

In summary, the final auction price of the FF #1 (CGC 7.0) and the equivalent Hulk #1 (CGC 7.0) both ended at almost the same hammer price.

Is this a fluke or is FF #1 catching up to (or dare I say overtaking) the second most coveted Silver Age spot from Hulk #1?
Edited by da.amazing.spiderman

1 hour ago, da.amazing.spiderman said:
Hmmm....

The auction results from Comic Link today (December 2, 2020) could mean nothing...or maybe it's a strong indication that The Incredible Hulk #1 is now in a dog fight with Fantastic Four #1 for the position as the SECOND most coveted Silver Age book behind Amazing Fantasy #15.

I find it interesting that The Incredible Hulk #1 (CGC 7.0 ; Cream to Off-White Pages ; No Marvel Chipping) ended with a hammer price of $46,000.  Note that GoCollect shows the value of this item in CGC 7.0 as $43,000. 

In comparison, Fantastic Four #1 (CGC 7.0 ; Off-White Pages ; No Marvel Chipping) ended with a hammer price of $48,111.  Note that GoCollect shows the value of this item in CGC 7.0 as $39,000.

In summary, the final auction price of the FF #1 (CGC 7.0) and the equivalent Hulk #1 (CGC 7.0) both ended at almost the same hammer price.

Is this a fluke or is FF #1 catching up to (or dare I say overtaking) the second most coveted Silver Age spot from Hulk #1?

FF1 has been hot for some time. 

It will be interesting to see what happens. I do think hulk is due for a growth spirt. 

I do think both Hulk 1 and FF 1 are 'next up' for some growth.

I've seen more FF 1s become available for sale in the past few years than say the prior 3-5. (Just my experience)

FF 1 had hit a flat spot for a bit, but the recent 7.0 sale does seem to indicate coming movement.

I haven't noticed quite as many Hulk 1s for sale in that 5.0 - 6.5 range. I think there have been a couple of 7.0s show up in the past month or so?

It is interesting to watch for sure.

12 hours ago, da.amazing.spiderman said:
Hmmm....

I absolutely believe this is due to MCU effect and speculation.  Hulk has no plans for upcoming phases in the MCU.  FF we all know is going to appear probably in Phase 5 which is 2022-2024ish.  I would think its obvious that FF1 catches up to IH1 as speculators jump on what will be hot next.  Also why X-Men 1 selling like hotcakes as its inevitable in Phase 6 that they will be the next "Avengers level" franchise.  

Edited by Bluemedgroup

1 hour ago, Bluemedgroup said:

I absolutely believe this is due to MCU effect and speculation.  Hulk has no plans for upcoming phases in the MCU.  FF we all know is going to appear probably in Phase 5 which is 2022-2024ish.  I would think its obvious that FF1 catches up to IH1 as speculators jump on what will be hot next.  Also why X-Men 1 selling like hotcakes as its inevitable in Phase 6 that they will be the next "Avengers level" franchise.  

strong agree on all of this-

On 12/3/2020 at 9:19 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Makes total sense to me. I do wonder if Hulk is going to stay involved with She-Hulk on Disney+ as way to keep the character around, and more generally how Disney+ will impact character values. But either way, I do expect X-Men and Fantastic Four to be the two big teams going forward. And, finally, I'm curious about what team lineup they'll use for the X-Men--the 1963 team, the 1975 team, or some sort of greatest hits mix?

11 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Just joined the forum and found this topic. I have come back to my collection after 35 years, and dug out my FF#1 which, unfortunately, looks like this:

image.png.470e624e95e19fcf715102ff8d71b894.png

It's not as bad as some that I have seen lately. But I paid the full price back in the day but got this lower quality copy. I live in Australia and back then, ordering  was much more difficult than today (no images of what you were buying, and it took at least three weeks turnaround on any airmail correspondence) and returns were not possible. So I am feeling pretty aggrieved at that dealer for sending such a low quality issue. I would be interested in what grading people here would give it.

Welcome back to your collection!   And hey, that's a FF1, one of those lucky-to-own things.  There is a "please grade my ...."  thread  ( https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/ ) where you can ask folks on the board to try to grade your book!   Some boardies like to hone their grading skills, and it is a much-appreciated community perk.   Just start a thread, like "PGM FF#1" and that should do the trick.  Include high-quality pix, including interiors and exteriors of the front and back covers, splash page, and centerfold staples ideally.  The more they have to work with, the better their input (and it's more fun for them).  If you ever do get the book formally graded by CGC, they would really appreciate if you followed up with the result.   Cheers 

Edited by Pantodude