• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

12 hours ago, Batmanis#1 said:

FF1 is doing very well I may have misjudged it with this generation of collectors.

I know X1 has been the darling these past 3 months but I have thought all along if these really are new comers they will soon move to this book or AF15 if they don't have it. I dabble in several hobbies and all have the upper echelon items that new or less financially mature folks can grab as they come in. FF1, AF15 etc are those items in SA. FF1 just rarely trades in the open at the rate of the other books so I also felt the sample size was off, BUT I also really would like to upgrade my copy so deep down I sorta hoped all the chatter of X1 would allow an upgrade. Not likely now and GRR's will shoot up as in my experience the GRR FF1 is hardest to find.

3 hours ago, PKJ said:

I know X1 has been the darling these past 3 months but I have thought all along if these really are new comers they will soon move to this book or AF15 if they don't have it. I dabble in several hobbies and all have the upper echelon items that new or less financially mature folks can grab as they come in. FF1, AF15 etc are those items in SA. FF1 just rarely trades in the open at the rate of the other books so I also felt the sample size was off, BUT I also really would like to upgrade my copy so deep down I sorta hoped all the chatter of X1 would allow an upgrade. Not likely now and GRR's will shoot up as in my experience the GRR FF1 is hardest to find.

One good thing with the rise in price of X-Men #1, if one were so inclined, is that if a person wanted to use X- #1 as leverage to upgrade or obtain an FF #1 - now is a great time to do it.

Just looking a the Census quickly, FF #1 has roughly 1/3 of X-Men #1 in universally graded copies (all grades). And FF #1 has about 225 copies in 6.0 or better (again, universal only), while X-Men #1 has about 770-ish copies in 6.0 or better (universal only). Jumping up and looking at 8.0 or better, FF #1 has about 55 copies (universal) and X-Men #1 has 200 or so.

1 hour ago, HighVoltage said:

One good thing with the rise in price of X-Men #1, if one were so inclined, is that if a person wanted to use X- #1 as leverage to upgrade or obtain an FF #1 - now is a great time to do it.

Just looking a the Census quickly, FF #1 has roughly 1/3 of X-Men #1 in universally graded copies (all grades). And FF #1 has about 225 copies in 6.0 or better (again, universal only), while X-Men #1 has about 770-ish copies in 6.0 or better (universal only). Jumping up and looking at 8.0 or better, FF #1 has about 55 copies (universal) and X-Men #1 has 200 or so.

I actually went the other direction recently, as I offered to trade an FF #1 for an X-Men #1 (which was one full grade higher).  Same page quality.  I wonder how that exchange might look 5-10 years from now in terms of value?  X-Men #1 is hot AF right now, but the FF isn't slowing down and might be a lot harder to replace.

Thankfully, FF 1 is one of my two most favorite books in the world, so I'm happy to hang on to it! :banana:

D

21 minutes ago, Drummy said:

I actually went the other direction recently, as I offered to trade an FF #1 for an X-Men #1 (which was one full grade higher).  Same page quality.  I wonder how that exchange might look 5-10 years from now in terms of value?  X-Men #1 is hot AF right now, but the FF isn't slowing down and might be a lot harder to replace.

Thankfully, FF 1 is one of my two most favorite books in the world, so I'm happy to hang on to it! :banana:

D

Very interesting proposal, going from an FF #1 to an X-#1...
It's hard to say, projecting 5/10 years down the road. If I had guess right now, I'd say X-Men #1 (especially a grade up) would give you a win $$$-wise.
When I look at the FF vs X-Men, as far as being introduced in the Marvel cinematic universe, I think the X-Men are an easier fit. They tie into 'modern society' better with the variety of characters, plus the cool powers they have. The FF - they have been family/explorers. Will they be presented as such in the cinematic version? They are unique in the Marvel world in having that aspect. So - will movie/streaming folks want to see something family-related? The explorer part of it should be easy enough. I think Indiana Jones kind of adventures. I dunno...

Even if X-Men #1 moves past FF #1 price-wise, is there a correlation of FF#1 being Marvel's version of Action #1?
(yes, I know Marvel published stuff in the Golden Age, but FF #1 really is a complete re-set of the brand)

Are the X-Men basically Marvel's equivalent to Batman? (and thus Detective #27)
Batman has allowed DC to have almost a complete universe of its own within DC. Same for X-Men at Marvel.
A *lot* of stories can be told with Bats/X heroes and villains in many mediums.

Just food for thought. I love all these franchises... X / FF / Bats / ASM

24 minutes ago, HighVoltage said:

Very interesting proposal, going from an FF #1 to an X-#1...
It's hard to say, projecting 5/10 years down the road. If I had guess right now, I'd say X-Men #1 (especially a grade up) would give you a win $$$-wise.
When I look at the FF vs X-Men, as far as being introduced in the Marvel cinematic universe, I think the X-Men are an easier fit. They tie into 'modern society' better with the variety of characters, plus the cool powers they have. The FF - they have been family/explorers. Will they be presented as such in the cinematic version? They are unique in the Marvel world in having that aspect. So - will movie/streaming folks want to see something family-related? The explorer part of it should be easy enough. I think Indiana Jones kind of adventures. I dunno...

Even if X-Men #1 moves past FF #1 price-wise, is there a correlation of FF#1 being Marvel's version of Action #1?
(yes, I know Marvel published stuff in the Golden Age, but FF #1 really is a complete re-set of the brand)

Are the X-Men basically Marvel's equivalent to Batman? (and thus Detective #27)
Batman has allowed DC to have almost a complete universe of its own within DC. Same for X-Men at Marvel.
A *lot* of stories can be told with Bats/X heroes and villains in many mediums.

Just food for thought. I love all these franchises... X / FF / Bats / ASM

I disagree. FF will be MUCH easier to integrate into MCU. Consider their origins. X-men are supposed to be around for 1000's of years - where have they been during all these avengers movies? Sitting around watching the world burn, just so they could be secretive?? FF will be easy - just say they are scientists working for Nick Fury and SWORD and an accident exposes them to cosmic radiation. 

While the X-Men are very popular, don't count out Marvel's FIRST Family. Kevin Feige clearly is prioritizing them before the X-Men and a strong movie can easily propel them to meteoric heights of fandom. Feige made the Guardians of the Galaxy a household name - who says he can't do the same with FF??

1 hour ago, Drummy said:

D

hm

We should start a poll, just for fun. 

12 minutes ago, drmanhattanite said:

I disagree. FF will be MUCH easier to integrate into MCU. Consider their origins. X-men are supposed to be around for 1000's of years - where have they been during all these avengers movies? Sitting around watching the world burn, just so they could be secretive?? FF will be easy - just say they are scientists working for Nick Fury and SWORD and an accident exposes them to cosmic radiation. 

While the X-Men are very popular, don't count out Marvel's FIRST Family. Kevin Feige clearly is prioritizing them before the X-Men and a strong movie can easily propel them to meteoric heights of fandom. Feige made the Guardians of the Galaxy a household name - who says he can't do the same with FF??

I think your idea for an origin story makes a lot of sense, but it obviously prevents them from being "first" in the MCU.  For this reason, part of me wishes that they did a 1960s Cold War period piece to introduce the FF, and then used some kind of multiverse / interdimensional threat (Galactus, Annihilus, whatever) to blink them out of our timeline as a way of explaining why they haven't been around and nobody remembers them.

22 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I think your idea for an origin story makes a lot of sense, but it obviously prevents them from being "first" in the MCU.  For this reason, part of me wishes that they did a 1960s Cold War period piece to introduce the FF, and then used some kind of multiverse / interdimensional threat (Galactus, Annihilus, whatever) to blink them out of our timeline as a way of explaining why they haven't been around and nobody remembers them.

in the comics, FF did get trapped in the negative zone for a while, so they can use that plot

Edited by IronMan_Cave