• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

On 3/6/2017 at 7:14 AM, zhamlau said:

The FF 1 went for 90k.  Over the last 5 years there have been 3 tracked sales.

2012=145k

2015=143k

2016=132k

2017=90k

Clearly a trend of diminishing interest in stark contrast to other major keys of the ERA. I think not having a continuing support book and a series of bad films has hurt FF. Its funny because FF original comic art sells really well I've found.

Over the several decades I've collected books, and not even following nearly as closely as many people do, I have heard that every key book was "falling" or "dead" and "over-valued" and very often the prognosis included a prediction that "it's never coming back to the levels it was at."  I've heard that about every one of the top 10 books in gold and silver (and yes I am including FF 1, AF 15, and even Action 1 and Detective 27.   

I even remember some of the quotes:   "...maybe people just don't like the brown cover (wondering about the drooping prices for AF15)," "...Superman is dated... becoming like Captain Marvel..."  (and of course all Captain Marvel books were deader than dead at the time).   "...Robin is embarrassing (About tec 38)" and "...the Batman fad is flaming out like it did in the sixties..."

Edited by bluechip

15 hours ago, bluechip said:

"...maybe people just don't like the brown cover (wondering about the drooping prices for AF15)," "...Superman is dated... becoming like Captain Marvel..."  (and of course all Captain Marvel books were deader than dead at the time).   "...Robin is embarrassing (About tec 38)" and "...the Batman fad is flaming out like it did in the sixties..."

I remember a lot of those....

Yeah, that's about as nice a mid-grade copy as you'll see.  Strong price, but that comes with that kind of eye appeal.  Nice to know a beautiful FF #1 still has some followers in the modern movie Marvel era.

Dan

48 minutes ago, Drummy said:

Yeah, that's about as nice a mid-grade copy as you'll see.  Strong price, but that comes with that kind of eye appeal.  Nice to know a beautiful FF #1 still has some followers in the modern movie Marvel era.

Dan

Looked it over and over, blew it up and STILL can't find a defect. Looks like a +2.0 is missing in the 6.0 grade. Gorgeous!

On 3/21/2017 at 11:19 AM, VintageComics said:

I remember a lot of those....

And I remember when selling my Suspense 3 years ago being told the book had "had it's day"  and I was fortunate to be getting back what I'd paid.

I stumbled across this ebay listing for Stan Lee's story outline to FF 1 (allegedly). Not the original-- just a copy of it. That the guy offers multiple shipping options as if the copy of this needs protection made me chuckle. I saved the images of the pictures they put up (and you can read them easily)--- thought someone might want them here as well. Though I would be surprised if this has not been seen or posted in this thread at some point.

Still my favorite Marvel key.    I have an ultra rare Mexican edition published by La Prensa.   Less than 20 copies are accounted for according to long time collectors from Latin American countries.   It is in top 5 most sought after Spanish editions.    

IMG_0187.JPG