• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, AnonymousAF15 said:

It looks to me like the right side is trimmed. But the label says not modified. Is that because PGX made a mistake?

You generally can't tel if a book is trimmed from a scan unless it's very badly trimmed.

Many early SA books can look trimmed but may not be. Only way to really tell is to inspect the book in hand.

On 5/31/2017 at 6:13 AM, CashMoney said:

I was thinking of bidding on that puppy too, but who knows what you're getting with a PGX 7.5  - it might even be a restored CGC 6.0.  That's a lot of money to shell out for an uncertain outcome.  That's why it's trading at such a discount.     

Tried to buy it. But someone jumped in at the last minute and bid $250 more for the win. My browser (or technology) was not fast enough.... 

1 hour ago, CashMoney said:

And what's the deal with Comiclink?  Why don't they include scans of the back of the comics?  It's like buying a house without inspecting half of it.  A real mystery purchase.

What it gofer?

1 hour ago, Mr bla bla said:

What it gofer?

The sweet Fantucchio copy went for $128,000, less than I thought it would fetch.

Edited by namisgr

11 hours ago, CashMoney said:

If you juxtapose the space between Mr. Fantastic's text bubble and the right edge of the comic (which is almost nonexistent) with the space between the big black box with the text (under the 10 cents label) and right edge of the comic, the spacing is different.  Might be trimmed, might not, but believe me that spending such amount to find out was not worth it.   

You can't compare copies to catch trimming. Early SA Marvel quality was so poor that they often differed in size.

29 minutes ago, CashMoney said:

Did anyone watch the Fantastic Four #1 CGC 5.5 auction on Heritage today?  The CGC 5.5 went for $14,340 -- despite the last GPA sale on a CGC 5.5 fetching only $8,905.  Woah....      

Maybe the book is going to finally pick up again. This is only one sale we will see over time.

16 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Upgradeable copy possibly?

Possibly upgradeable (but most likely undergraded).  Admittedly, it is one of the nicest 5.5's out there.  No chipping and incredibly brilliant colors.  True eye candy with immense eye appeal....  

11 hours ago, Drummy said:

Hey all --

Thought I'd post a shot of my FF #1 now that it's in a CGC holder.  CBCS had it as a 7.0 -- now a 6.5 -- but either way it's a gorgeous copy...the CBCS case was not very secure in my opinion, so I figured I'd let CGC have a shot at it.  I have no regrets.

Thanks for looking,

Dan

FF 1 6.5 wp.jpg

(worship)

This looks better than a 6.5 ! AND white pages. Awesome!

Hey all --

Thanks for the good words -- the book is flat-out gorgeous from the front cover -- looks 8.5 or so.  Back cover has some light creasing that breaks color...right on the 6.5/7.0 edge, but on the high side IMO.  Most important is the eye appeal, page quality, and that sort of thing -- the kind of book you can stare at all day and never feel anything but joy!

D