• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Primetime said:

Aug 8, 1961. I have seen date stamps typically from the 8th - 15th. I have seen one copy stamped with a Sept date. 

As distribution in 1961 was not the same as it is now I guess that arrival dates may have depended upon where you were in the US and Canada.  What's the significance of Aug 8 if we have all of these other dates on books?

Could also be the possibility that in a few cases that a kid or two got a hold of dad's date stamp and was just dying to try it out on something lol

10 hours ago, Chickenwings said:

Sale of a 6.0 went for 27k on eBay.  Not sure the sale is legit, but it is a nice presenting copy with white pages and no marvel chipping.  Interested to see if it sticks in GPA.37A3663F-E9AB-4D9B-AD0E-850C1487479C.thumb.png.228f7270dc928fd41127529682328783.png

Looks violently undergraded !!

2 minutes ago, Drummy said:

That is one legitimate copy of FF #1, numerical grade be damned.  Superb eye appeal, nice color, excellent page quality, no writing, nice centering, sharp edges.

I might have gone toward the price for that copy.

Dan

Agreed, a gorgeous midgrade copy.  It does seem 6.0 is a fair numerical grade, with the vertical reader's crease running down the length of the book near the spine.  It just goes to show that eye appeal is only partly dependent on a book's structural grade.

On 10/25/2017 at 2:27 AM, Chickenwings said:

Sale of a 6.0 went for 27k on eBay.  Not sure the sale is legit, but it is a nice presenting copy with white pages and no marvel chipping.  Interested to see if it sticks in GPA.37A3663F-E9AB-4D9B-AD0E-850C1487479C.thumb.png.228f7270dc928fd41127529682328783.png

This is undeniably a nice copy, but it pales in comparison to Drummy's copy.  That said, looks like FF1 is finally playing catch up with AF15.  When I was a kid, there was only one Silver Age comic that everyone wanted to own -- and that was Fantastic Four 1 -- and every other Silver Age comic (including, without limitation, AF15) was secondary in both value and desirability.  I still feel that way to this day (regardless of the hype surrounding AF15, and the delusional postings here about folks in China lining up in droves to buy AF15).  When the dust settles in a few years, and everyone looks back at the past few years, they will realize that the World's Greatest Comic Magazine and Marvel's first superhero team WILL BE, and should've always been, the king of the Silver Age books.  After all, it is a 10-cent comic - whereas AF15 and Hulk 1 each has a 12-cent cover price, which is 20% more than the 10-cent price of FF1 -- and 1,000% less significant from a historical perspective.             

Edited by CashMoney

43 minutes ago, CashMoney said:

This is undeniably a nice copy, but it pales in comparison to Drummy's copy.  That said, looks like FF1 is finally playing catch up with AF15.  When I was a kid, there was only one Silver Age comic that everyone wanted to own -- and that was Fantastic Four 1 -- and every other Silver Age comic (including, without limitation, AF15) was secondary in both value and desirability.  I still feel that way to this day (regardless of the hype surrounding AF15, and the delusional postings here about folks in China lining up in droves to buy AF15).  When the dust settles in a few years, and everyone looks back at the past few years, they will realize that the World's Greatest Comic Magazine and Marvel's first superhero team WILL BE, and should've always been, the king of the Silver Age books.  After all, it is a 10-cent comic - whereas AF15 and Hulk 1 each has a 12-cent cover price, which is 20% more than the 10-cent price of FF1 -- and 1,000% less significant from a historical perspective.             

You are correct. FF1 was THE book in the early days. FF1 is a super key to own. I've always loved it. First Marvel and it was created to compete with DCs super teams. FF will always be around. It's just tough to make a good movie about it. Kirby at his best. (thumbsu

4 hours ago, peewee22 said:

You are correct. FF1 was THE book in the early days. FF1 is a super key to own. I've always loved it. First Marvel and it was created to compete with DCs super teams. FF will always be around. It's just tough to make a good movie about it. Kirby at his best. (thumbsu

Kirby peaked in the Fourth World