• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

It has before, many times. People forget quick. 

Early 2000 before the First Spidey movie.

FF1 started  back  and gave that marvel tone for the Silver Age. Also much rarer.

Anything's possible, but times have changed and Spider-man is just a global pop culture icon. I'm sure everyone around the world knows who or has heard of Spider-man.  Fantastic Four on the other hand, not so much.  I would be shocked if FF #1 would overtake AF #15.

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Anything's possible, but times have changed and Spider-man is just a global pop culture icon. I'm sure everyone around the world knows who or has heard of Spider-man.  Fantastic Four on the other hand, not so much.  I would be shocked if FF #1 would overtake AF #15.

I agree, and I’m one of those who will argue that FF #1 is the most important SA comic.

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

I agree of the popularity of Spidey. in the comic collecting world it does have an influence but what about the GGA Phantom Lady 17,Startling Comics 49,etc. 

It’s the collectors that drive the market. Its like at the CONS the COSPLAY people will not be Asking for AF15.

Its the people who who know the history of the books. I noticed lotsa of new collectors who dont have a clue of the past keys and there value order. I think nothing stays in place and value change and play catch up. FF1 was definetly way to low. To overtake AF15 perhaps. i would say more at par or slighlty lower. It would need a major sale in the 9.6 category.

11 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:

Doubled in less than 6 months and we’re already talking about it doubling again? I don’t know how I feel about that... These unrealistic gains, across the board, are starting to spook me...

AF15 more than 6 fold in 6 years!

FF1 flatlined for 6 years just recently doubled.

4 hours ago, zen514 said:

I agree of the popularity of Spidey. in the comic collecting world it does have an influence but what about the GGA Phantom Lady 17,Startling Comics 49,etc. 

It’s the collectors that drive the market. Its like at the CONS the COSPLAY people will not be Asking for AF15.

Its the people who who know the history of the books. I noticed lotsa of new collectors who dont have a clue of the past keys and there value order. I think nothing stays in place and value change and play catch up. FF1 was definetly way to low. To overtake AF15 perhaps. i would say more at par or slighlty lower. It would need a major sale in the 9.6 category.

Not just collectors that drive the market, also speculators/investors. With GA books such as GGA, pre heroes, sci-fi, etc. have such a smaller, specialized market usually pure collectors collect these genres.  Only a handful of individuals buy these books compared to mainstream superhero books. This is a major factor on high sale prices for hero books because you have wider spectrum of buyers not just a select few.

6 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I agree, and I’m one of those who will argue that FF #1 is the most important SA comic.

+ 1

I've always felt FF1 was the flagship and first creation of Marvel Comics. It's importance in comic book history is 2nd to A1. Although T27 & AF15 are extremely important, they are not at the same level of FF1 & A1. Just my 2c

Edited by peewee22

1 hour ago, peewee22 said:

+ 1

I've always felt FF1 was the flagship and first creation of Marvel Comics. It's importance in comic book history is 2nd to A1. Although T27 & AF15 are extremely important, they are not at the same level of FF1 & A1. Just my 2c

If by T27 you are referring to Detective Comics 27 there is no way FF1 is a more important book.  We are talking Batman - arguably the most popular superhero ever ..... I mean its Batman .... :)

It is not even clear if Fantastic Four #1 is the most important Marvel Book or Silver Age Book - let alone #2 overall in the hobby ..... what about Marvel Comics #1 or Captain America Comics #1?

I enjoy the FF and think FF1 is a beast of a book that has been undervalued (same with FF4, FF5 and FF48) but I don't think it is the most important Marvel book - but everyone has their own opinion :tink:

3 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

If by T27 you are referring to Detective Comics 27 there is no way FF1 is a more important book.  We are talking Batman - arguably the most popular superhero ever ..... I mean its Batman .... :)

It is not even clear if Fantastic Four #1 is the most important Marvel Book or Silver Age Book - let alone #2 overall in the hobby ..... what about Marvel Comics #1 or Captain America Comics #1?

I enjoy the FF and think FF1 is a beast of a book that has been undervalued (same with FF4, FF5 and FF48) but I don't think it is the most important Marvel book - but everyone has their own opinion :tink:

Maybe he meant TTA27? Not sure though...

6 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Importance from the standpoint of the beginning of comicdom. Not saying the FF superhero team is more important than Batman, Spidey, Cappy, etc. Geez, we all know that. Strictly from "a beginning" perspective. AI is the beginning of the GA. FF is the beginning of the SA.

Just me. 

29 minutes ago, peewee22 said:

Importance from the standpoint of the beginning of comicdom. Not saying the FF superhero team is more important than Batman, Spidey, Cappy, etc. Geez, we all know that. Strictly from "a beginning" perspective. AI is the beginning of the GA. FF is the beginning of the SA.

Just me. 

Well technically SC4 is the beginning of the Silver Age :) 

I also think Tec27, Cap 1, MC1, etc are just more important books to Comicdom then FF1 is (and more important than SC4 as well).

But reasonable people can reasonably disagree (and I mean no disrespect by disagreeing with you on this :) )

3 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Not just collectors that drive the market, also speculators/investors. With GA books such as GGA, pre heroes, sci-fi, etc. have such a smaller, specialized market usually pure collectors collect these genres.  Only a handful of individuals buy these books compared to mainstream superhero books. This is a major factor on high sale prices for hero books because you have wider spectrum of buyers not just a select few.

Agreed but the it wont take as much demand for FF1 to rise near AF15 since the supply is more limited mich rarer than AF15. I agree that specualtors are pushing that  alongside with collectors. The possible reintegration on FF to the Marvel Universe is big for speculators and the beginning of Marvel SA will appeal to the collector. Scarcity and Owning all the Marvel Keys are other elements.

5 minutes ago, Chillax23 said:

Well technically SC4 is the beginning of the Silver Age :) 

I also think Tec27, Cap 1, MC1, etc are just more important books to Comicdom then FF1 is (and more important than SC4 as well).

But reasonable people can reasonably disagree (and I mean no disrespect by disagreeing with you on this :) )

Dont get me started... for Golden Age its Action 1,   Tec 27 and I would put Marvel comics 1 scarcer and the first marvel than introduced the first mutant Namor.

I think Marvel 1 will play catch up and shoot past Cap1, Bats 1 and even overtaking Supes 1 to reside in 3rd position.

It was actually no1 in the 70s and 80s

even in the 90s tied for First with tec 27 and ac1 was 3rd.

7 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Yes, those are the historical facts, and now the expectation for the future. I’m a believer in the book, but proceeding with caution...

Of course. One never knows. I think it still is a good time for those who want it for there collection. In another 6 months maybe not so much. But who knows.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:23 PM, G.A.tor said:
On 7/11/2018 at 4:14 PM, Jaydogrules said:

That's because you're a great salesman.  (thumbsu

-J.

I wish. Though, knowing that I did have 2 cbcs 2.5s I would have pushed that one harder if I needed to, but luckily buyers did all the work for me :)

But if you didn't twist the customer's arm to buy the CBCS slab then that ruins Jaydogrules' theory that CBCS books are worthless!!

6 hours ago, Chillax23 said:

Imho Marvel comics 1 is the most important marvel... without it there would be no Cap 1 and no silver age FF1

6 hours ago, Chillax23 said:
8 hours ago, peewee22 said:

+ 1

I enjoy the FF and think FF1 is a beast of a book that has been undervalued (same with FF4, FF5 and FF48) but I don't think it is the most important Marvel book - but everyone has their own opinion

It is WITHOUT question the single most important Silver Age Marvel but I would probably not argue further than that.

1 hour ago, VintageComics said:

It is WITHOUT question the single most important Silver Age Marvel but I would probably not argue further than that.

Pertaining to GA, I do know you are partial to MC 1. So am I.

The cover gives me goosebumps.

Another story in another (GA) thread.

Edited by peewee22