• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

THE FANTASTIC FOUR #1 CLUB
14 14

1,088 posts in this topic

Thanks! this finished my FF 1-5 run. Me happy. It's tough keeping up with all your big hitters. :)

Nice pick up! Someone has been on a spending spree as of late! :baiting:

-J.

As my 'tagline' says... "If I just sell the car, I can up my bid.." Ironically, I sold a car. :)

Edited by J-Shot

Nice copy, great eye appeal. Love the date stamp !

Thanks Bomber. Usually I'm anti-stamps, but there was something about this stamp that I liked... i assume it was around the day it hit the news stands?!? (shrug)

On Sale: August 8, 1961

Really nice book. Congrats!

Welcome to the Club! :foryou:

Thank you my friend. Cool knowing the stamp was punched 1 week after hitting news stands!

It's possible they hit various newsstands at different times depending on proximity to the publisher. For example, West coast copies might go on the stands later than East cost copies.

On Sale: August 8, 1961

Really nice book. Congrats!

Welcome to the Club! :foryou:

Thank you my friend. Cool knowing the stamp was punched 1 week after hitting news stands!

It's possible they hit various newsstands at different times depending on proximity to the publisher. For example, West coast copies might go on the stands later than East cost copies.

True! Good point. Guess I'll never know for sure when the stamp was punched. But I like thinking it was punched on Aug 15, 1961... Shortly after it hit stands. Thanks guys. :)

I'm quite sure the books were stamped by the newsstand right before they were put up for sale.

If my memory serves me correctly, new comics hit the newstands on Thursday during that era.

Now I was buying my books at a local convenience store not a newstand. For me, new comic day was Thursday.

I'm quite sure the books were stamped by the newsstand right before they were put up for sale.

+1

New comic book day was Wednesdays back east by the mid sixties, but I see that 8/8 and 8/15 of '61 were indeed Tuesdays.

+1

New comic book day was Wednesdays back east by the mid sixties, but I see that 8/8 and 8/15 of '61 were indeed Tuesdays.

Strangely enough my books are dated on Tuesdays as well. You're onto something.

They could also be distributor dates that reflect when the books went out for delivery..... one date per bundle..... and might explain why not ALL copies have them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

They could also be distributor dates that reflect when the books went out for delivery..... one date per bundle..... and might explain why not ALL copies have them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I just assumed the newsstand keeper would date each book before putting it up for sale, hence the many different types of stamps and writing.