• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Justice League Appreciation Thread
1 1

16 posts in this topic

No, NOT "The Justice League of America" appreciation thread.

Just "Justice League."

And then Justice League International, and finally Justice League America.

The magic that is Giffen/DeMatteis/Maguire/Hughes, et al.

This series has so much in it. The very first "limited edition test variant" from DC, the best facial expressions in comics, the first Adam Hughes DC series, one of the most moving and powerful stories featuring Mister Miracle you will ever read, Despero as a truly frightening villain, LOBO, a fun spin-off featuring sweet Bart Sears' art, the Joker, AND.....

"One Punch."

If you haven't tried this series, you're missing out. After #60, the series really took a dive (sorry, Jurgens and Jones), but prior to that is a rollicking roller coaster of a ride.

Justice League #1-60, Justice League Europe #1-35.

You won't be disappointed.

justiceleague1.jpg

Oh, and a little trivia:

This team first appeared in the pages of Legends #6, and quickly became the most valuable new DC #1 following the Crisis reboot.

In 1988-1989, it was one of the hottest titles on the racks.

This book is underrated as one of the best runs for a team. I'm still trying to track down all the trades collecting the various offshoots as I don't think I caught them all at the stores. Booster Gold and Blue Beetle were a great duo too!

Some people may have been turned off by some of the buffoonery and squabbling going on but to me it only added to the charm of the characters. I liked J'onn's addiction to Oreos (later changed to "chocos")

jli2_zps236ff111.jpg

Sweet!

I had four JLI covers at one point, including one Maguire and two Hughes. I...miss them.

On 5/8/2017 at 5:50 PM, BCarter27 said:

Very cool! Which ones did you have?

http://www.comicbookdb.com/title_covergallery.php?ID=1159

I had #4 (Booster joins the team, by Maguire), #40 (Death of Mr. Miracle by Hughes), #58 (Despero vs Lobo everyone) and #46 (Guy reading General Glory by Hughes). 

Probably should have kept them, but I'm narrowing my focus.