• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reflections of a Die-Hard Collector

14 posts in this topic

Reading, collecting, slabbing, & downloading

It's been about 5 years since I started collecting slabbed CGC books, and almost 40 years since I began reading comic books. Over these years, I've amassed quite a large collection of books, slabs, TPB's/HC's, artwork, and figurines/statues.

Now I'm having what will likely be my retirement home built. Quite large space I may say, and is being constructed with an eye towards preparing for an ideal environment for a collector (ie Low E windows to keep out UV, LED lighting to avoid damage, shelves with glass covers, ample cool/dry storage space etc) but still it will be impossible for me to properly house & display everything that I have collected (most items now in storage). Choices I will have to make, and make soon:

1) Which of these items should I keep, and which should I dispose of?

2) Which books do I keep in a display shelf/bookcase, and which should I keep in storage boxes?

3) Which slabs do I frame and display, versus those which I keep hidden in storage?

4) With limited display space, how do I decide what items to display (books? statues/figures? original artwork? what's an optimal mix?)

What makes it somewhat easier to avoid the temptation of further amassing more and more books is the availability of online comics; to date all my issues of Walking Dead and Justice League are virtual. Helps avoid needing space to store more books.

What makes it difficult however are the dozens of great Bowens, Sideshows, Hot Toys, Efx's etc which are released every day. Many better than previous versions. It was hard for me to resist the temptation of not buying the complete line of Hot Toys 1/6 Avengers for example. Soon, it will occupy a prominent space in my display.

I know that I'll need to stop someday. I have considerably slowed down, i.e. a year or so ago made a decision to cease expanding my CGC collection, start selling off, and only focus on a core CGC set on the Turok character (ie highgrading where financially feasible, and completing a few uncompleted sets). So I thought my intense CGC collecting days were over. Of course, earlier this year Dynamite revived the character .... and I'm back!

Its been a great 40 years of ups, of pauses, and downs. Of wanting to get each and every issue of a particular character. Of countless hours reading and re-reading favorite books. Of following certain creators. Of eagerly waiting for slabbed books shipped by CGC. Of hours looking both mine and at other collectors' image galleries (in CGC, in Comicartfans, etc) and admiring with envy! Of waiting in line to be among the first to see Avengers. Of attending comic conventions, meeting creators and fellow fans. Of eagerly anticipating results of an Ebay bid, or availability of a Sideshow release. Of refocusing buying habits. Of rationalizing with my very patient wife on why this hobby is good.

I've enjoyed all these years as an avid comic book reader and fan tremendously. From the time I picked up and read my first comic book (a hand me down Turok from my dad), to the time I write this journal. It was an opportunity I was truly blessed with to enjoy. And, I presume like all of you reading this, I look forward to moving on to the next chapter of this journey.

Happy reading and collecting!

15439.jpg

See more journals by Triskelion

I'm in a similar situation. My kids are starting to go to college. Once they graduate I plan to retire, so I have a little over 10 years left. My wife and I are renovating what will be our retirement home. The current plan is to have a comic book room where I can put my stuff. My goal is to keep all my stuff, and continue collecting. The idea of working so hard all my life and then once I finally get to retirement having to sell stuff or stop collecting is not where I want to go.

So instead my plan is to keep all my stuff and continue collecting, but once I retire and have time, I'll start selling stuff I don't like. The goal being to sell stuff so my wife and I can go on vacations and doing other special stuff.

Fortunately my wife has always been really supportive of my hobby (even though she is not into comics or comic related stuff much at all)Mao she is ok with including a room big enough for my collection.

"I've enjoyed all these years as an avid comic book reader and fan tremendously. From the time I picked up and read my first comic book (a hand me down Turok from my dad), to the time I write this journal. It was an opportunity I was truly blessed with to enjoy. And, I presume like all of you reading this, I look forward to moving on to the next chapter of this journey."

... the arc of a true fan! :)

Those decisions on what to hang on to and what to let go of may be difficult and as you've said, a process that many of us may have to go through ourselves.

Best wishes going forward in your next chapter...

Congratulations on moving to the next chapter! I find myself from time to time wondering if my collection will make it with me to retirement or if it will be long gone by the time I reach that stage. I have a ways to go and think about how these books may have to go if kids come into the picture, moving to a dream home, or if life throws a curve ball my way. I won't fret too much over it for now, but it's in the back of my mind. Good luck with setting up all your displays!

Brandon

Love the Turok cover.

What issue/variant is that? Or is it a piece of art?

I've got to have it. :)

Thanks for sharing your reflections. I love journals like these. To read about the evolution of a life long comic book collector is fascinating... I can only imagine the beauties you own... the treasures and depth of your collection. And congrats on how your Life's Journey has taken you to such a wonderous place... I envy you!

Keep us posted on how the house develops... as well as your collection.

All the best,

SW3D

I'm in a similar situation. My kids are starting to go to college. Once they graduate I plan to retire, so I have a little over 10 years left. My wife and I are renovating what will be our retirement home. The current plan is to have a comic book room where I can put my stuff. My goal is to keep all my stuff, and continue collecting. The idea of working so hard all my life and then once I finally get to retirement having to sell stuff or stop collecting is not where I want to go.

So instead my plan is to keep all my stuff and continue collecting, but once I retire and have time, I'll start selling stuff I don't like. The goal being to sell stuff so my wife and I can go on vacations and doing other special stuff.

Fortunately my wife has always been really supportive of my hobby (even though she is not into comics or comic related stuff much at all)Mao she is ok with including a room big enough for my collection.

You have an amazing collection and display n2wdw! Yes I do think we're in a similar boat. It's great to have a very supportive better half...

"I've enjoyed all these years as an avid comic book reader and fan tremendously. From the time I picked up and read my first comic book (a hand me down Turok from my dad), to the time I write this journal. It was an opportunity I was truly blessed with to enjoy. And, I presume like all of you reading this, I look forward to moving on to the next chapter of this journey."

... the arc of a true fan! :)

Those decisions on what to hang on to and what to let go of may be difficult and as you've said, a process that many of us may have to go through ourselves.

Best wishes going forward in your next chapter...

Thanks Hibou ... and interestingly enough its that process along with others which actually add to the feeling of fulfillment too

Congratulations on moving to the next chapter! I find myself from time to time wondering if my collection will make it with me to retirement or if it will be long gone by the time I reach that stage. I have a ways to go and think about how these books may have to go if kids come into the picture, moving to a dream home, or if life throws a curve ball my way. I won't fret too much over it for now, but it's in the back of my mind. Good luck with setting up all your displays!

Brandon

So true Brandon. The challenge is always finding the correct balance between making sure one has saved enough to weather life's unexpected curve balls live out retirement years reasonably well ... but at the same time enjoying living it too!

Love the Turok cover.

Thanks newshane. It's the original painted cover art for issue #58 of the Gold Key run by George Wilson, which I just had archival framed. One of the most unusual and certainly one of my favorites in the 1954 series. Loved the image too - native americans, dinosaurs and aliens all in one!

Love the Turok cover.

Thanks newshane. It's the original painted cover art for issue #58 of the Gold Key run by George Wilson, which I just had archival framed. One of the most unusual and certainly one of my favorites in the 1954 series. Loved the image too - native americans, dinosaurs and aliens all in one!

Thanks!

Yes, it's a fantastic piece to say the least. (worship)

Great journal Triskelion! Love the Turok cover...looks like it should be a crossover with Magnus Robot Fighter. I still remember picking up a Magnus #12 in "NM" back in the 90s when Valiant first came out...I really like that cover as well.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Great journal Triskelion! Love the Turok cover...looks like it should be a crossover with Magnus Robot Fighter. I still remember picking up a Magnus #12 in "NM" back in the 90s when Valiant first came out...I really like that cover as well.

sig.jpg

sig.jpg

Thanks! Yes it would have been great to see the old Gold Key characters cross over in the silver age. I wonder why Gold Key never thought of doing this .... arguably could have extended the life of their series no? From memory I think Magnus #12 was also the first modern reappearance of Turok and I see many copies of this slab selling for over $100 in Ebay, very nice.

<a  href=imagejpg1_zps4808d9c6.jpg' alt='imagejpg