• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Archie's Mad House #22 in high grade.

29 posts in this topic

Where are all the high grade A.M.H #22's out there in the market place? It seems this book is off the planet to be found in higher than a CGC 9.0 grade?( check out the CGC census). The Pedigree Western Penn copy in a CGC 9.0 is the best known existing copy. I have been monitoring this book over the past few years on e-bay and I have yet to see what I would call or grade as being a raw 6.0 copy of A.M.H #22 or better for sale on e-bay or anywhere else.

It seems most all the A.M.H #22's I have ever seen for sale anywhere are found in VG/FN or less grade?. Archie as far as I know did not keep file copies like Dell and Harvey did? Even the high prices currently being paid for lower grade copies of A.M.H #22 are not causing higher grade copies to surface out there it seems?. Only about 3 or 4 copies of A.M.H #22 have graded in a 6.5 or better on the CGC census I believe?.

Not a 9.0, but better than a 6.0...

1zexsf6.jpg

That is a nice copy. (thumbs u I wonder what grade CGC would give it?

I noticed currently there is a nice! CGC 7.0 copy of A.M.H #22 on e-bay listed.

I noticed that as well, the price is high, but may not seem so after the rarity of this books becomes more well known.

Yes, this a Über sleeper. It has to be one of the rarest mainstream comic books of the 1960s? hm

hm Maybe in high grade...

There's 5 copies on eBay right now and like 8 that have sold over the last 2 months.

Not THAT rare.

Have a feeling the more people realize what it's going for the more copies we'll see...

Any Archie experts want to weigh in on this?

Here's another book that's really hard in nice shape. First Sabrina cover :)

Scan-140511-0002_zps1a3674c1.jpg

Love that Sabrina cover, although I don't really get the gag. Why is Sabrina so stressed out about eating even more cereal? Who is forcing her? Is she somehow impelled by repeated TV commercials? Is it a play on 1960s incessant TV ads or something?

Anyway, DeCarlo has Sabrina in a pretty risque pose here. And as an added plus, we know it's definitely Sabrina thanks to the monogram on her top.

Shame there's no story inside.

Here is a photo of the CGC label of the Western Penn CGC 9.0 copy of Archie's Mad House #22 and a photo of the book. The book sold 12 years ago on e-bay for $406.00. I wonder what it would go for at auction today?

ArchiesMadhouse2Label_zpsa2d535d0.jpg

ArchiesMadhouse2_zpse8eb6719.jpg

Here's another book that's really hard in nice shape. First Sabrina cover :)

Scan-140511-0002_zps1a3674c1.jpg

Love that Sabrina cover, although I don't really get the gag. Why is Sabrina so stressed out about eating even more cereal? Who is forcing her? Is she somehow impelled by repeated TV commercials? Is it a play on 1960s incessant TV ads or something?

Anyway, DeCarlo has Sabrina in a pretty risque pose here. And as an added plus, we know it's definitely Sabrina thanks to the monogram on her top.

Shame there's no story inside.

Could this be a subtle drug reference? Sabrina has a bad case of "the munchies". Judging from the floating dots around her head she could be considered both dazed from overeating or stoned.

I don't know anything about Sabrina, but most of this type of comic from that era where about ditzy girls. I'm assuming she is meant to be so dumb that she just does what the radio tells her. Someone who has read Sabrina comics may have another take.

Mike

I don't think Sabrina was meant to be ditzy in her early appearances. And I don't think she's meant to be stoned here either.

My best guess it's a statement on too many TV commercials. Or something that makes her go through 16 (I count) boxes of cereal.

Highest CGC graded copy with most likely less than 10 existing copies of this extremely rare price variant edition.

URL=http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/ticle9/media/AMH2215centpricevariant_zpsea2427c9.jpg.html]AMH2215centpricevariant_zpsea2427c9.jpg[/url]

Is that your copy?

For anyone that cares, Sabrina #1 just came out and they reprint that story from MH 22 as a backup story.

Not sure how many times it has been reprinted, but it was in Madhouse annual 3 as well.