• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll about the rebooted SA club threads

Silver Age club revamps  

282 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age club revamps

47 posts in this topic

It seems to me that there is a bit of a difference in opinion over whether we prefer the new rebooted club threads provided by HarveySwick or the older threads devoted to particular mega-keys like AF #15 or Hulk #1. I thought it might benefit us to figure out what the general board sentiment is over them.

I would like to thank Harvey for taking the time to do these, and I think that he has perfectly sound motives for doing them. But I also tend to be pretty old school and like the history the original threads represent.

Please vote in the poll so we can get a sense of what the general sentiment is. This isn't necessarily binding by any sense, but may be useful in evaluating board opinion over these matters for those that care about them. The poll will be open until late in the evening on May 7th.

I like the rebooted thread because of how easy it is to see a particular grade. It used to take me forever when I needed to find comparisons for a particular grade. The board history is still there for you to read, I don't think anything is lost on that part. Harvey really has done an amazing job

Nothing would keep Harvey from sprinkling in a club summary page every so often, if he would like to keep maintaining the list. That was how it used to be done in several of the old threads. If there is a general consensus that the old threads are preferred that may be a reasonable compromise to work out. Keep in mind that eventually he will lose the ability to edit the first post anyway, so that list won't work forever. Then he'll either need to switch to a floating list or start another new thread for that club.

I'm predicting the poll will probably be split pretty evenly down the middle, and we will continue to have the current situation of some bumping the old threads and some bumping the new.

I like the rebooted thread because of how easy it is to see a particular grade. It used to take me forever when I needed to find comparisons for a particular grade. The board history is still there for you to read, I don't think anything is lost on that part. Harvey really has done an amazing job

Agreed! Keep up the great work, Harvey! :applause:

Keep in mind that eventually he will lose the ability to edit the first post anyway, so that list won't work forever. Then he'll either need to switch to a floating list or start another new thread for that club.

The original club threads have posts with expired links... IMO Harvey's new threads seem to weed out a lot of the dead weight. ;)

If it was so important to keep dusty old threads going that were virtually impossible to navigate for the actual books, why the f--- wasn't this brought up and this poll conducted long before Harvey had already done all the leg work?? Not only that, but he got the blessing of all of the original thread-starters before hand. I don't know, I just find this poll to be in bad taste and disrespectful to Harvey and the time he has put into this forum

-J.

Nothing has been lost by what Justin has done, he has sorted these old and tired threads out and made something clean and easy to use.

I had never seen my books for sometime in the old threads, now I can find them straight away, photos that were lost in my photobucket just pop out in a few clicks now.

More power to you Justin (worship)

I've often thought of HarveySwick as being the Boardee of the year in these parts. He's made several threads imminently more navigable and has demonstrated amazing board etiquette doing so. And, because the Old Thread can be accessed from the new one, what's lost?

If it was so important to keep dusty old threads going that were virtually impossible to navigate for the actual books, why the f--- wasn't this brought up and this poll conducted long before Harvey had already done all the leg work?? Not only that, but he got the blessing of all of the original thread-starters before hand. I don't know, I just find this poll to be in bad taste and disrespectful to Harvey and the time he has put into this forum

-J.

it's a comic book related discussion. It's not in bad taste, nor disrespectful :eyeroll: to discuss.

I got the idea for rebooting the clubs because I stumbled upon an old list buried in the Daredevil #1 Club with links created by Dscott. (worship) I thought it was awesome. Seeing how many 8.5's were in the club. How many 9.2's. But it hadn't been updated in a few months with a bunch of new entries to be added. So I updated/bumped it. Then I picked up an ASM #129 and made a similar list there. Same for Hulk #181. But it became a pain to remember that the list for DD1 was on page 83 and the ASM129 list was on page 94, etc. I thought it would be easier to track and more helpful to have it on the first page/first post. But I didn't want to ask all of the OP's to do it so I wrote the OP's, I do it with every single club I update. I'm not here to step on anyone's toes and I know I'm a just a silly, silly noob. I appreciate the history of these Boards and everything that came before me. I was just trying to improve the usefulness of the Clubs with links to individual books and their owners. Who wants to sift through pages and pages to get any use out of the Clubs.

Regarding the history - yes, an original is an original. But you do realize that the old thread will always be there and my second post in every new thread is a LINK to the original thread so people can go back and read. I'm not deleting the old thread or erasing any history. It's continuing on - just in a new thread? ;)

Again, I get the OP's blessing in every club I reboot. If someone said no, I wouldn't press the issue. I don't necessarily enjoy updating the lists whenever I see a new update. It becomes tiresome to stop whatever I'm doing and to update the first post, but I did it. I liked having updated lists for people to proudly display their books. But I figured it was helpful. Some PMed me and requested that I reboot a few of the clubs specifically. If you guys don't want updated lists, that's perfectly fine. We'll see what the poll results are. (thumbs u

:gossip: And I'm not voting. :D

I think the club threads are great for folks to share their new additions of their copies of the classic, key books of our hobby. But maintaining a list of who's "in the club" is sort of pointless given all the dealers/flippers that post their books in the club and proceed to sell them, here or elsewhere.

-J.

I absolutely meant no disrespect to Harvey and I certainly hope he didn't take any. As someone who frequents many of the club threads I've just noticed that many folks bump the old threads even when they may be more difficult to find, and sometimes folks comment about it in those threads. I was thinking if there was a clear consensus then it might be easiest to go with whichever solution the majority preferred. I wasn't trying to stir any pots or anything. The lists are indeed helpful (and a lot of work to maintain, so kudos to Harvey for that), but they could theoretically be posted in any thread that people wanted to use.

-J.

I absolutely meant no disrespect to Harvey and I certainly hope he didn't take any. As someone who frequents many of the club threads I've just noticed that many folks bump the old threads even when they may be more difficult to find, and sometimes folks comment about it in those threads. I was thinking if there was a clear consensus then it might be easiest to go with whichever solution the majority preferred. I wasn't trying to stir any pots or anything. The lists are indeed helpful (and a lot of work to maintain, so kudos to Harvey for that), but they could theoretically be posted in any thread that people wanted to use.

My argument is to keep the old threads for historic purposes.

I mean what was wrong with the old threads? hm

Also what if in a few years Harvey loses interest in comics, and abandons his rebooted threads?

Does that mean these threads will rebooted again by another member?

Then what if that board member loses interest in comics,as well.

Wash, rinse, repeat!

if it aint broke don't fix it

Keep the old threads!

btw

Nothing personal. :foryou:

I had enough of New DC 52 reboot, so sorry for my bias

-J.

I mean what was wrong with the old threads? hm

Also what if in a few years Harvey loses interest in comics, and abandons his rebooted threads?

Wash, rinse, repeat!

if it aint broke don't fix it

Keep the old threads!

btw

Nothing personal. :foryou:

I had enough of New DC 52 reboot, so sorry for my bias

Well I dont think Harvey is gonna get sick of comics anytime soon he pretty much bleeds funnybooks and even if he did lose interest (HE WON'T) what does it matter? both threads are cool...As already stated the new threads are tidied up and we have easy access to the books as well as the LINK to the old thread...discussion can still be continued and is encouraged I would think...the old threads were like the first arch of the series...chronicled and still accessible...in fact everytime the new thread gets bumped the old one does too!!! it is a beautiful thing...IMHO Justin did all this the right way...with hard work and respect for the original posters...fun conversation and sharing :cloud9:

No one is erasing, deleting or rewriting the old threads? ??? If I continued to keep a list IN the original thread, no one would have an issue. But that is a nightmare tracking the list and following it in the original threads - I tried in several clubs. And how many pages or posts should happen before the list gets bumped again? (shrug) Again -- the ORIGINAL club thread is linked in the second post of every single thread. Yes, ideally the OP's of every club would maintain a list. But they didn't. So the argument is there shouldn't be a list? doh!

Wash, rinse, repeat!

I've heard this before and maybe it's because I'm a noob and some people really know nothing about me. I grew up an only child and moved around a lot. Comics were my life. I wanted to be a penciler - but no matter how hard I practiced or tried, I sucked. :D I worked at a comic shop from the time I was 12 until I was 18. When college came, I didn't have much expendable money and it was either buying music or comics. At the time, it was the late 90's and everything was gimmick or chromium cover so I decided that I would rather buy music than comics. I never really abandoned collecting fully and still bought random tpb's through the years and would stop by LCS from time to time. I had a Daredevil coffee mug at my first office job after college! :cool: The reason I got back into about a year and a half ago, is a guy that does work for my office saw a Daredevil Eaglemoss figurine on my desk and told me about his comic collection. We talked again at the office Christmas party and that night I went home and started buying Daredevil books. I love and respect the history of the hobby much more now than when I was a kid. I know members feel that guys come in, :whee: with Moderns and the newest hot book or movie, and burn out a while later. :gossip: It's not happening with me. I don't chase the "hot" book and buy what I like. So - the argument about "what happens when Harvey burns out and leaves" - it's not happening. Just because I'm new to the Boards doesn't mean I'm new to collecting. (thumbs u

Harveys rebooted threads are awesome. I love the ease of finding copies of the books I enjoy looking at.

Don't even know why this was brought up in the first place. Kind of insulting if you ask me.

Some people have way to much time on their hands... Harveys time on here is great unlike people creating polls to see if a terrific service is warranted?

Bye.

R_H