• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Poll about the rebooted SA club threads

Silver Age club revamps  

282 members have voted

1. 1. Silver Age club revamps

47 posts in this topic

"Reboot" sounds like a hollow word.

Oh, and I can’t belong in most of these threads… :(

Your vast knowledge and appreciation of funny books is all you need to bring my friend...No ownership of the physical book is needed for you to be in the club...You are an honorary member (thumbs u

"Reboot" sounds like a hollow word.

Oh, and I can’t belong in most of these threads… :(

The club threads are basically appreciation threads for said comic book... The threads give the owners of these classic comics a chance to show off there book and the discussions are open to everyone who'd like to participate. ;)

Great work Justin, I appreciate it.

As for updating the first post list, when editing will not be possible soon; why not add a link to each one of those lists, leading to a blog post, and link, to where the list is recently updated? Can that work, say Justin has a blog(journal) on his CGC page that he can keep editing as needed?

How long do you have to edit a post before you no longer can edit it? Is there a specific time? One year? Longer? (shrug)

And sure, I can link to another thread with the list. (thumbs u It just seemed that a lot of people liked the new format with the list as the first post. It was quick, convenient and sorted.

The time limit used to be a 3-4 weeks, but it's a lot longer now.

I'd post another list in the same thread, after the last one cannot be edited, and when it seems right for an updated list.

The list on the first page will cover a lot of member's books, and the later lists would be more complete.

My idea Justin is that you keep controlling the lists if you are willing. Quickly set up a post/blog in your own journal of your CGC membership page. Lots of members post in theirs as they feel like it, and they can change them as they wish to. It's your own personal pages to say what you want to.

Make a section their in your journal page, with links that lead people to each individual club thread, the updated list location. Do that now quickly, so that you can edit the first post in each thread, to take people to your journal page, where they can quickly jump to the updated list.

It's a little odd to explain, or for people to follow that. But make the link descriptions in your journal bold and in extra large text or color. Create them in the same format in the first page of each thread, so they stand out and people can follow them. You can still edit everything and anyone can so quickly get to the one list for each club. After a year that will all be different, everyone will have a little trouble finding the new lists, unless you post them repetitively on every page or two of each thread, which would be annoying. I remember the old threads being a little redundant in that way, everyone copying the list and making it longer, and reposting it over and over again.

My argument is to keep the old threads for historic purposes.
No one is erasing, deleting or rewriting the old threads? ??? If I continued to keep a list IN the original thread, no one would have an issue. But that is a nightmare tracking the list and following it in the original threads - I tried in several clubs. And how many pages or posts should happen before the list gets bumped again? (shrug) Again -- the ORIGINAL club thread is linked in the second post of every single thread. Yes, ideally the OP's of every club would maintain a list. But they didn't. So the argument is there shouldn't be a list? doh!

Also what if in a few years Harvey loses interest in comics, and abandons his rebooted threads?

Does that mean these threads will rebooted again by another member?

Then what if that board member loses interest in comics,as well.

Wash, rinse, repeat!

I've heard this before and maybe it's because I'm a noob and some people really know nothing about me. I grew up an only child and moved around a lot. Comics were my life. I wanted to be a penciler - but no matter how hard I practiced or tried, I sucked. :D I worked at a comic shop from the time I was 12 until I was 18. When college came, I didn't have much expendable money and it was either buying music or comics. At the time, it was the late 90's and everything was gimmick or chromium cover so - I would rather buy music than comics. I never really abandoned collecting fully and still bought random tpb's through the years and would stop by LCS from time to time. I had a Daredevil coffee mug at my first office job after college! :cool: The reason I got back into about a year and a half ago, is a guy that does work for my office saw a Daredevil Eaglemoss figurine on my desk and told me about his comic collection. We talked again at the office Christmas party and that night I went home and started buying Daredevil books. I love and respect the history of the hobby much more now than when I was a kid. I know members feel that guys come in, :whee: with Moderns and the newest hot book or movie, and burn out a while later. :gossip: It's not happening with me. I don't chase the "hot" book and buy what I like. So - the argument about "what happens when Harvey burns out and leaves" - it's not happening. Just because I'm new to the Boards doesn't mean I'm new to collecting. (thumbs u

Your enthusiastic rebuttal has won me over! (thumbs u

Plus I hear your from the Boston area as well.

I look forward to the new reboots. :)

This has been interesting to watch. I started this thread to have a conversation about these threads, because while I know that Harvey contacted all the original thread-starters and went about the threads in the right way, there has also been some tension about it in the SA room. There has been occasional snarky comments, most recently in the FF #1 thread, and what looked to me like spite-bumps of the original threads (sometimes with commentary to that effect). I thought it worthwhile to have a conversation to take the board's temperature on this matter, since I like the club threads and didn't want to see them get caught up in drama. Obviously the comments in this thread have been overwhelmingly positive, and none of the folks who seem to have issues with the new threads have felt it necessary to add to the conversation. If they can't step up and discuss it when asked, hopefully they'll no longer feel the need to comment negatively in the club threads.

That's all I was trying to do here, and I wasn't trying to cast any sort of negative light towards Harvey and his work. I sent him PMs to that effect. I appreciate his work and enthusiasm towards the boards and these threads.

No, it's ok. If anything, something very positive came out of this thread. (thumbs u I didn't know you lost the ability to edit posts after a year - confirmed by Arch via PM.

Now I'll have to address this so we don't have to reboot every year. doh! I'm going to work on an overhaul. I love Don's suggestion about linking to Journals or somewhere else where I could update it.

I'm not going to track the original club threads anymore either so if people want to continue to bump them or comment in them and ignore the rebooted club threads, all the power to them. ;)

This has been interesting to watch. I started this thread to have a conversation about these threads, because while I know that Harvey contacted all the original thread-starters and went about the threads in the right way, there has also been some tension about it in the SA room. There has been occasional snarky comments, most recently in the FF #1 thread, and what looked to me like spite-bumps of the original threads (sometimes with commentary to that effect). I thought it worthwhile to have a conversation to take the board's temperature on this matter, since I like the club threads and didn't want to see them get caught up in drama. Obviously the comments in this thread have been overwhelmingly positive, and none of the folks who seem to have issues with the new threads have felt it necessary to add to the conversation. If they can't step up and discuss it when asked, hopefully they'll no longer feel the need to comment negatively in the club threads.

That's all I was trying to do here, and I wasn't trying to cast any sort of negative light towards Harvey and his work. I sent him PMs to that effect. I appreciate his work and enthusiasm towards the boards and these threads.

Lighten up Francis. Its called joking around.

No, it's ok. If anything, something very positive came out of this thread. (thumbs u I didn't know you lost the ability to edit posts after a year - confirmed by Arch via PM.

Now I'll have to address this so we don't have to reboot every year. doh! I'm going to work on a overhaul. I love Don's suggestion about linking to Journals or somewhere else where I could update it.

I'm not going to track the original club threads anymore either so if people want to continue to bump them or comment in them and ignore the rebooted club threads, all the power to them. ;)

I started my thread on 4/5/12. And I am still able to edit the first post. :popcorn: I edited it too prove it.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=5576863#Post5576863