• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading help please

14 posts in this topic

Okay, here's a nice looking comic, and other than the other flaws you might see, you might not be able to see the non-color breaking crease running from the right edge to the right of the last "e" in Detective and t the bottom edge below the right side of the canoe.

What's the grade?

Edited at 6:27 PM - that's not a tear at the top edge, but a pretty large color fleck perhaps?

det100.jpg

Steve

I have a question. I just got my new Grading Guide, and I'm getting used to the new system. I can see why it's a 5.5 with the tear and the crease (I guessed 6.0). But without the crease and the tear what would it be? Not many defects that I can see. Could it get as high as 7.5?

My guess is CGC would grade it about 4.5 to 5.0 (IMHO). Depends a lot on how the crease looks. From the scan the book has good eye appeal which might bump it up slightly. I think the mid-grades (4.0 to 7.5) are about the hardest to nail down. It seems like it's easier (for me anyhow) to figure out the higher and lower grades than those in between.

Just at first glance:

It has a misalignment of the cover - you can see the interior pages in other words at the bottom right, could be rolled or the cover could be loose or shifted

It looks like it was miscut - at the bottom you can see the back cover wrapping around a bit and at the top you can't

Both staples show some stress and the bottom one looks like it has a hole or a tear right near the top of the staple.

Here's a good example of a VG/FN, somewhat similar creasing, however, based on this book (which I think is a great grade considering it's condition), yours might get a the same depending on the Golden Age standards applied. Hope that helps.

tos55a.jpg