• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Book Fading

51 posts in this topic

My point, in all of this, is that comics today are much more resilient to light/acid than they were 20 plus years ago.

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? hm

Or did you? lol

:gossip: And here I thought you were the OP - talk about thread hijack. :baiting:

Just trying to provide useful information relevant to the OP's question. You should try it!

Bill going above and beyond :) ! The results of this more extensive test should be interesting. Any chance you have a CGC or PGX comic to test as well?

My point, in all of this, is that comics today are much more resilient to light/acid than they were 20 plus years ago.

Well, why didn't you say that in the first place? hm

Or did you? lol

:gossip: And here I thought you were the OP - talk about thread hijack. :baiting:

Just trying to provide useful information relevant to the OP's question. You should try it!

Bill going above and beyond :) ! The results of this more extensive test should be interesting. Any chance you have a CGC or PGX comic to test as well?

No, I put the Spider-man in the window because it was already damaged, and was easy to do. Not willing to possibly destroy a nice book, and besides, I am not concerned about my display habits. Direct sunlight, bad! LED lights, a few hours a year, not bad!

does cgc give lower grades for faded comics? i saw an x-men 1 cgc 3.0 just sell for 1200 while most sell for 15-1800, same grade but not faded, shouldnt fade just be lower graded to reflect the price it sells for?

does cgc give lower grades for faded comics? i saw an x-men 1 cgc 3.0 just sell for 1200 while most sell for 15-1800, same grade but not faded, shouldnt fade just be lower graded to reflect the price it sells for?

Yes, CGC lowers the grade to 4.0 max for heavy fading, and the X-Men 1 3.0 is probably structurally better than another 3.0, so the buyer may have gotten a real steal, depending on the book.

And do you guys *really* want me to post my "NM but faded CGC 4.0 X-Men 94" again? :facepalm:

My position is that the new books are better quality paper and inks and everything, and are unlikely to fade anytime soon,

Yeah, they're not even comics anymore (more like mini-TPBs) so the point is moot.

My new Ultimate spider-man #1 had a tear on the spine, so with this thread in mind, I put it in a cheap bag and board (from a Midtown order) and put it in my window of my comic book room inside the blinds, so it is always exposed. Faces north, so gets light all day, some direct sun, some not. Placed it on Mothers day, and will scan it every so often for several months to see how it does. May not be scientific, but certainly 'real world'.

So far, about 234 hours of natural light, a good deal of bright sunshine, and no noticeable fading. I set it next to another copy from my boxes, and couldn't tell them apart. I am feeling better about having them in my dark room on display with only a few hours of LED light per month!

window picture

Window.jpg

5-10-14

51014start.jpg 5-16-14051614suntest.jpg

5-28-14

052814.jpg

01-18-15 011815suntest.jpg

So, after 8 months, fading badly, with sunlight exposure (weather permitting) all day every day since May 2014. I think I will keep it going to see how long before the color is all gone.

Edited by Bill1

Any light exposure will cause fading to occur. It may happen so slowly that you don't even notice it's happening.

So true, and different paper, ink coating combinations behave differently. I recall when I was moving once, and I'd kept a number of squarebounds in a shelf in the closet, with no exposure to direct sunlight and infrequent exposure to ambient and incandescent light, I realized that the spines on the Crumb Sketchbook trades from Fantagraphics had started to fade, especially the reds. They were only a few years old at the time. On the other hand, I've had other books for years on a shelf in the living room and as long as they haven't gotten direct sunlight, the fade on spine is barely noticeable. But it still happens, even if very slowly. Light is bleach.